Toyota TF106

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Spencifer_Murphy

Toyota TF106

Toyota officially unvieled their TF106 2day. here's a couple of pictures:

http://www.f1racing.net/en/photolarge.p ... catID=1915

http://www.f1racing.net/en/photolarge.p ... catID=1915

1st thoughts are:
1. Looks the same as the TF105, except sidepods are a little more tight (because of the V8 I assume). Then again the TF105 was unvieled looking like the TF104...and by Melbourne it looked completely different...so I would imagine this car to change quite a bit by Bahrain.
2. Notice how in the second picture the Toyota uses the same strut in the middle of the rear wing...conecting it to the engine cover/ rear crash structure???
Silence is golden when you don't know a good answer.

If you look under the covers it sounds like a whole lot of marketing BS. All the teams run interim cars and label them as such. Toyota is making it appear as if their processes make them more advanced than the competition when its really just a lot of hoopla over a mule.

manchild

Anonymous wrote:...All the teams run interim cars and label them as such....
Not really. Interim cars are only run by teams who have fitted old cars with new engines.

greenpower dude reloaded

OK forgive me if i have missed something but i thought that Intel were sponsoring BMW Sauber but there logo is on the rear wing endplates and nose cone of the TF106 is it to do wit when contracts run out or something like that.

jezzwa

Well i thought that Intel was the title sponsor for McLaren for 2006 till Vodafone in 2007, looks like intel have their finger in every pie.
Vote 1 for GPs back in Adelaide

monkeyboy1976

Won't Kaizen philosophy (continuous improvement), when applied to F1, put much more pressure on the test team?
Could the "gentleman's agreement" to restrict testing (which Ferrari is not party to) be in jeopardy due to the faster chassis turnaround?
I suppose as virtual/bench/windtunnel testing becomes more accurate and trustworthy, there won't be any need to test physically other than the driver to get used to, and set up, the car.

ginsu

Mike Gascoyne has already announced that a TF106B will be ready shortly after Bahrain so this car is just a placeholder. It was a completely fake launch.
I love to love Senna.

monkeyboy1976

Launches these days are purely for sponsors.

Spencifer_Murphy

Mike Gascoyne has already announced that a TF106B will be ready shortly after Bahrain so this car is just a placeholder. It was a completely fake launch.
The TF106B will be ready by Monaco...so it isnt a complete fake...the TF106 is the 2006 car...so they make a launch event for it. Its not a place holder as it is part of thier continous development program. I doubt the actual chassis will be different on the TF106B...I think it will just be a heavy aerodynamic development...as the EJ15B was over the EJ15.

The TF106B will be ready by Monaco...so it isnt a complete fake...the TF106 is the 2006 car...so they make a launch event for it. Its not a place holder as it is part of thier continous development program. I doubt the actual chassis will be different on the TF106B...I think it will just be a heavy aerodynamic development...as the EJ15B was over the EJ15.
I'm sure it could be ready sooner if the old car is slow during testing and the first race(s). If it's just aero then they could probably introduce the updates as soon as they get them. Although, you usually don't go so far as a 'B-spec' just for aero. Might they be ditching the zero keel?

Spencifer_Murphy

I doubt they will ditch the zero-keel....it worked well on the TF105B.

Steven
Owner

well the TF106B will have a new fuel system. The current car is equipped with that of the TF105.
The zero-keel is not likely to be ditched though, they just switched to it and other teams appear to realise it is the way to go

f1.redbaron

Is it me or does Toyota not have any barge boards? They do have something that is attached to the the underbody, something that looks like barge boards, but it seems much too low. I can see that being sufficient enough to clean up the dirty air caused by wheels:

http://www.toyota-f1.com/public/images/ ... 114_02.jpg

btw, in testing, too, I haven't seen any pics of barge boards. Can anybody enlighten me?

manchild

They are building car to suit Ralf's driving style and since he'll smash barge boards in most races Toyota opted not to use them at all :mrgreen:

*Now they are working on wingless car :lol:

West

Horizontal axes play the same role as bargeboards. I knew they had them in 2004, forgot about 2005.
Bring back wider rear wings, V10s, and tobacco advertisements