BMW Sauber F1.06

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
bernard

Butt ugly. It just looks ugly as hell, starting from the livery and unfortunately not ending there.
As someone already pointed out, weird call on the front pushrod setup. Sacrificing suspension geometry for CofG? Did the same guy design the suspension that designed the livery?
The whole front looks like a mess. I hope this apparition wont be ruining our eyes come race season, but that they fire the guy who's in charge of the livery (i bet he's the same guy that designed that awful sauber livery.)

bernard

It's a no-keeler.

Sawtooth-spike

does the term "Concept car" mean "if it fails then they can say it was an experiment and if it does work then they will say how proud they are of the project"

I think they know its crap and thus the name concept car covers there arse.
I believe in the chain of command, Its the chain I use to beat you till you do what i want!!!

Lauda

do you call this type of suspension no-keel? I thought they did not have a name for it yet?
BTW do mclaren and toyota also have this nokeel? i thought that i saw them also having this...

bernard

Lauda wrote:do you call this type of suspension no-keel? I thought they did not have a name for it yet?
BTW do mclaren and toyota also have this nokeel? i thought that i saw them also having this...
There is no official name, but names such as zero keel and no keel are becoming the standard.

And the second question:
Mclaren designed the no-keel setup. It was first used in the MP4-20 last season. Toyota then copied it to their b-chassis last season and then their new 2006 car.

dumrick

I just want to point that McLaren didn't invented the "no keel" suspension. No keel suspension was always used since wishbones became being assembled in the sides of the chassis.

This is a "no keel"!!!!!

In fact, even the first raised nose F1 was a "no keel":

Only the year after (1991), appeared the first F1's with a keel:

And then, Arrows came with the A23 and the first twin-keel:

McLaren was just the first to angle the lower wishbones in a raised nose car in such a way to pick up the chassis without any extensions on it.

Spencifer_Murphy

I'm gonna be a little controvercial here:

I actually like SOME of the details,
1. I dont think the paint scheme is all THAT bad....its just sooooo Boring!
2. The nose is wide yes...but so was the nose of the MP4-20, and I think it may work well with, what looks to me like a pretty good Front Wing Main Plane (Not sure about the flap tho...looks too basic...mayb this will change by Bahrain?)

BUT there is alot I dont like:
1. the keel setup...twin keel or no-keel....its fat and inefficient looking. rather like the B-spec Ferrai of 1996...rasied nose which suddenly becomes fat.
2. Engine cover...too bulky looking (as on Renault R24 & Last years Sauber)
3. rather stupid looking bargeboard setup:

[/quote] (from Dumrick)
[/img]http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/4495/b ... ag.jpg[img]

4.[/img][/url]
Silence is golden when you don't know a good answer.

Spencifer_Murphy

sorry, I tired to link to the zoomed in picture Dumrick posted...it shows how the barge boads attach to the chassis...it looks like the mounting for the wing mirrors on the R26!!!
Silence is golden when you don't know a good answer.

I'm I they only one who thinks that the pictures could be brighter? They are so dark and ugly...You can't really tell how the coulor scheme looks like in a brighter point of view...Perhaps it looks nicer outdoor on a good picture or live :wink:

Steven
Owner

Well I still think that this is a twin keel car, but as long as no one can really show a picture that displays otherwise, I don't believe any of you. ;)
If in fact that is a no-keel, it is indeed a very fat nose. I just think the nose is too boxy. The upper side is a slope... some slope that makes me think of the Minardi that Alonso drove, that was kind of similar. However the minardi nose was a LOT smaller than this item here.

As for this picture... indeed the car looks a little better in the sunshine outdoors.

One more thing... why have I not seen Jacques driving a Sauber this winter and why is Jacques now driving an old Sauber? How do they expect him to get used to the car better? :roll:

here's another image that seems to show that its a no-keeler

West

That car looks so old school. Also looks like their Formula BMW car.

They should have used the color scheme on their BMW M3 GTRs; now that was a nice BMW scheme.
Bring back wider rear wings, V10s, and tobacco advertisements

manchild

I really wouldn't write-off that car. Beauty has nothing to do with good aerodynamics and vice-versa.

BTW, no keel...

...and gills

Its no walrus, but that nose when compared with the current crop looks actually quite unconventional. It slopes down in front of the cockpit where others are level or upward sloping and continues its downward descent in a way unlike the other cars.

Actually I believe it was sauber, not arrows that the first twin keel.

ginsu

Somehow they've adapted the zero keel, but it looks crude compared to McLaren. Personally, I don't like the zero keel. The suspension is always 'drooping' which means it's never at ideal geometry and the roll center is pretty high off the ground. During droop a tire usually goes to positive camber, so i think you have to dial a TON of static negative camber in to make this work. This would make the car very sensitive under braking, and horrible grip in the rain, especially with bumpy tracks.
I love to love Senna.