BMW Sauber F1.06

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.

Its hard to see how high the RC is off the ground in my opinion, as the wishbones are fairly parrellel and not converging at a fast rate, giving rise to instant centers along way away (Which results in lowering the RC).

Alot of emphasis is placed on the RC, although one has to remember this is a fictional point! It helps as a reference tool but is sometimes overrated. Its also hard to see how well the roll center migration is controlled.

MrT

BTW Tomba theres a picture on the previous page showing its a no-keel concept as i suggetsed.

MrT

Spencifer_Murphy

you're right, Kimi's first F1 car...the 2001 Sauber was the first Twin Keel car, was designed by Sergio Rinland.

In 2002 Arrows & Mclaren followed suit.
Silence is golden when you don't know a good answer.

The first one was Honda's Test Car for their Manufacturer entry (without BAR) into F1 in 1999 or 2000.

RH1300S

Anonymous wrote:The first one was Honda's Test Car for their Manufacturer entry (without BAR) into F1 in 1999 or 2000.
That would be down to the hugely underrated & forgotten talent of Harvey Postlethwaite.

Spencifer_Murphy

True....but does that count as an F1 car...as it never entered a single official F1 evenmt...not even a test. I mean the Lotus 88 twin chassis car entered some tests and went to a GP b4 being told they cuddnt race.

The Honda car wasn't even tested with other teams....was it?

BTW....is there ne technical info on the net about the Honda test car (pre BAR)???

if so cud u post the URL. THANKS!

bernard

dumrick wrote:I just want to point that McLaren didn't invented the "no keel" suspension. No keel suspension was always used since wishbones became being assembled in the sides of the chassis.

This is a "no keel"!!!!!
I don't think anyone was under the illusion that Mclaren invented the no keel, hell, my car has no keel and it's over 10 years old.
The point was that mclaren was the first to manage a keel les suspension in a modern f1 car in a manner that didn't hurt the car's performance. More like vice versa.

manchild

Spencifer_Murphy wrote:BTW....is there ne technical info on the net about the Honda test car (pre BAR)???

Dallara-built test hack set up for oncoming works Honda F1 effort in 2000, led by Harvey Postlethwaite and Rupert Mainwaring. Tested to great effect by Jos Verstappen at Vairano and Jerez. Intended for Verstappen and Salo but scrapped after U-turn by Honda and Postlethwaite's untimely death.

http://8w.forix.com/6thgear/jv-honda-ra99.jpg

Spencifer_Murphy

cheers manchild. I never got to see much about the car when it first started testing.

manchild

Me neither :wink:

Spencifer_Murphy

LOL infact the new BMW looks as dated as that Honda!!!

I don't know why you guys are giving the BMW a hard time, it looks quite neat in my opinion, definetly better than the chassis they had to work with last year, which looked a bit of an aero mess!

Mr T

Spencifer_Murphy wrote:True....but does that count as an F1 car...as it never entered a single official F1 evenmt...not even a test. I mean the Lotus 88 twin chassis car entered some tests and went to a GP b4 being told they cuddnt race.

The Honda car wasn't even tested with other teams....was it?

BTW....is there ne technical info on the net about the Honda test car (pre BAR)???

It's just Sauber told the Ide came from there so it was invented there I guess.

fwa2500

i think it looks preaty good.......the paint definatly has some traces of the traditional BMW "war paint" http://www.atspeedimages.com/limerock_2 ... .5_csl.jpg
wouldnt mind it being done in the full war paint :D

the MP4/20 had a much wider nose...looked very much like a platipus to me, lol.......i find the new BMW rather nice looking, it somehow reminds me of the B747SP....which i love, btw :lol:
http://www.airliners.net/open.file/951131/L/

Spencifer_Murphy

hehehe....I like the 747SP too...but only co its different, its a lil out of proportion and the tail section hasnt been made well...it looks like they just chopped off the bit between the wings and the tail section.

I prefer the 747-400...but for beauty in the sky its gotta be the Concorde, that slim fuselage, Rolles Royce Olympus Engines, the delta wing, and that visor that looked like wrap around sunglasses.

What a staggeringly beautiful machine.

...sorry for the Off Topic-ness of that reply. :oops: I just felt compelled to respond!