How to use the quote function

Everything about this website and its content. Here you will find update announcements or requests for feedback. Questions about layout, functionality, content, and your suggestions are welcome.
hollus

Re: How to use the quote function

Maybe we should move this thread to a more visible place. I learnt here most of what I do now regarding quoting, but for most casual posters this thread is in an invisible place. I know because it took me a while to stumble upon it.
Rivals, not enemies.

mx_tifoso

I would like to reiterate that it isn't necessary to quote the post directly above yours in most cases, especially if it's really long, has images, videos, or if it's obvious that they are related.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

mx_tifoso

From Merc W01 thread;
toshinden wrote: ...

PS : how to multiquote posts? i can't find the button
When writing your post scroll down and you will find a post history from about the last page or so, and you can choose multiple posts by clicking on the "quote" button on the top right hand corner of each one.

Example;
mx_tifosi wrote:I would like to reiterate that it isn't necessary to quote the post directly above yours in most cases, especially if it's really long, has images, videos, or if it's obvious that they are related.
hollus wrote:Maybe we should move this thread to a more visible place. I learnt here most of what I do now regarding quoting, but for most casual posters this thread is in an invisible place. I know because it took me a while to stumble upon it.
mx_tifosi wrote:Unfortunately it hasn't gotten across to everyone just yet. :lol:
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

MIKEY_!

Sorry this isn't in the right subject or anything but I'm just starting out here and I can't find how to start putting my stuff (pics/text/questions) on here, can someone please help?! I have some pics of a car I have made (it's a model don't get too excited:lol: ) and want to share my ideas and design but i don't have any idea where to start.

PS please be gentle with me I'm not that good with computers.

hollus

Here you go for pics, videos and such:
:arrow: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1648
As for quotes, read this very thread from the beginning...
Rivals, not enemies.

HampusA

Would be nice aswell if the site ignored my own text when i quote someone who quoted me.

I don´t need that part and it´s very annoying when you have a discussion with someone.
The truth will come out...

andrew
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland - WhiteBlue Country (not the region)

Or you could just edit the quoted text yourself so that you only have the one quote rather than 3 or 4 previous quotes which have been superceeded by the quote you are responding to thus cutting down on the total number of quotes that you are quoting

wesley123

is a pain in the ass, 9 out mof 10 times i mistake the quotes, ruining it completely

Would be usefull if your post itself gets ignored in the quote
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

HampusA

andrew wrote:Or you could just edit the quoted text yourself so that you only have the one quote rather than 3 or 4 previous quotes which have been superceeded by the quote you are responding to thus cutting down on the total number of quotes that you are quoting
Yea OR we could just not tick the box in the Admin CP that collects every quote made by two people.

It saves everyones time and you don´t have to start edit stuff for just answering a question.

There is no need for it to quote my own text as i haven´t forgot what i wrote then.
And if i did i could just scroll back up and read it again.
The truth will come out...

JimClarkFan

Multiquote would be good, though not a major issue.

Phil

wesley123 wrote:is a pain in the ass, 9 out mof 10 times i mistake the quotes, ruining it completely
Which is why the preview button is so great. In fact, if I were to program a forum, I'd even make the preview button mandatory before posting to force posters to get a good look at what they are posting. I'm not a grammar/spelling n***, but at times I'm amazed what people post without checking (and I'm not refering to the spelling or grammar) but just plain long text without paragraphs or messed up quotes. It's really not that hard to make the appropriate adjustments by hand when doing multiple quotes.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

hollus

>10 years later… worth a bump.
Rivals, not enemies.