Toyota TF106

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
f1.redbaron

So, is there an advantage of going "barge boardless" (I just made up a word)?

I don't know about the barge boards, but I wonder if that B-spec will come with undercut sidepods.

Most anyone else (who is competitive anyway) has adopted this obvious advantage.

By easing the passage of air to the lower region of the back of the car, there are more solutions to be found in order to gain some valuable downforce. Renault and Midland have even added a second set of flicks between the diffuser and suspension arms.

This seems to have been ignored on the TF106, specially considering their middle of the road testing times (which may be meaningless, I know)

Of course, a drastic change to that critical part of the car, will surely involve a large redesign of some internal components, ie. the rads...

However, I have to trust their judgement, versus my 'Optical Windtunnel Analysis' :wink:

-T

Tom

Just realised where I've seen the rear wing before. I think Toyota used it for CART or Indy or some crap like that. Nayway, never seen them in F1 before.

How soon will Ralfy have it spread across the track.

My bet is Friday practice.
Murphy's 9th Law of Technology:
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

Anonymous wrote: Of course, a drastic change to that critical part of the car, will surely involve a large redesign of some internal components, ie. the rads...

However, I have to trust their judgement, versus my 'Optical Windtunnel Analysis' :wink:

-T
Your optical analysis makes sense though. The TF106 is not well streamlined like other cars. If the sidepods are narrower, then the car is going to have less drag.

f1.redbaron

I was getting a little worried with Toyota's times during winter testing, but after reading this, I feel a little more confident:

"When the new season starts, the TF106 will get almost a complete new skin as
the new aerodynamic package is added to the car. Mike Gascoyne, our
technical director chassis who was in Barcelona for last week‘s test, has
said the car will get a major update with a new front wing, new sidepods,
new diffuser and new side bodywork along with other improvements."

This is a part of Toyota's newsletter.

Anybody else out there who believes that Toyota will "borrow" the front wing design from McLaren? :D

Spencifer_Murphy

Why the hell add all these parts which havent been track tested AT the first GP?! I understand the philosophy of Toyota's constant development program but my god, this is bizzare.
Silence is golden when you don't know a good answer.

benjabulle

The new aero package will be track tested next week.

manchild

Poor things... imagine what would they do if they had big budget?

I REALLY don't know what are they spending all that money on... imagine where would they be if they had budget like Renault... they'd be at same stage as Aguri :roll: :roll: :roll:

Spencifer_Murphy

They seem to be apending all their money on paying Ralf & Jarno silly wages....Ralf isn't exactly giving them good value for money.

And, as much as I do rate Mike Gascoyne, I bet they're paying him more than is really nessecary to retain his serivices.

Put it this way, let say a team personel would accept a value of "X" as a salery, Toyota seem to be offering them 150% of "X" just to be on the safe side. LOL,

Obviously this isnt 100% serious, but u get what I mean, they seem to be trying to "OUTBUY" the rest of the teams, Money can buy personnel, but not nessesarily Success.
Silence is golden when you don't know a good answer.

ginsu

Nice new aero additions to the TF106...

Looks like they added a 'honda-type' vertical fin on the sidepod and finally
sculpted the sidepods. It took them long enough.

Side pods
The major differences between the car used in winter testing and the one used at the Vallelunga test are concentrated in the side pods
1) New turning vanes with little vertical splitter and a second little
gurney flap (2) attached to the horizontal fin with a modified shape
3) The side pods are much narrower in the low part to match the reduced
cooling needs and to improve the airflow to the rear of the car
4) Winglets are new and smaller than the previous ones
5) New chimneys are mounted with an increased angle towards the oustside and are integrated with new winglet of the side pods

Looks like Gascoyne is doing his $8mil worth.
I love to love Senna.

monkeyboy1976

Top view

The new nose is based on the strong spoon shape form.

1) The new flaps are more twisted compared to the similar ones introduced at Monaco in 2005
2) There are additional little horizontal fins
3) There is a new outside fin
4) A double profile is attached to the nose cone
5) New more aerodynamic wishbone shape
6) different turning vanes
7) new fins in front of the side pods with vertical splitter
8 New smaller winglet attached to the top of the side pods
9) More sculptured side pods
10) New position of the exhausts with small side gills for the exit of hot air (12)
11) New winglet integrated with chimneys
13) Different position of mini wing
14) New engine cover with better shape to cover the gearbox
15) Mini plane attached to the deformable structure

monkeyboy1976

Side View Comparison

The TF106 that tests at Vallelunga from 14 February includes an all-new aero package for the first races.

1) New front wing with different end plate and external side fin
2) An additional pair of fins located beside the nose cone that makes 4 fins in total
3) Modified guide vanes
4) New aero spec in front of the side pods with little vertical turning vanes
5) Side pods more sculpted in the low section to increase airflow to the back of the car
6) New position of the side pods winglet
7) Four winglets in the airbox area instead of two
8 New position of the exhausts and small outlet gills for removal of hot air
9) New winglet integrated with the chimneys
10) The bodywork in front of the rear tyres has been modified
11) Only one vertical fin in the lower section towards the rear of the car
12) New diffuser
13) New deformable structure to cope with a more severe crash test

monkeyboy1976

Front Wing

The new aero package starts with a new front wing, based on the 2005 Monaco front wing that already had a second small wing (2).
The new version also includes a small fin on the inside (1) and also on outside (3).
At the side of the nose cone there are 2 additional fins (4).
The first two fins (on top) were introduced already at the start of the 2005 season.

Toyota really are showing their muscle at the moment.

Principessa

monkeyboy1976

oops. sorry :oops: