Do we need more strict or more loose moderating?

Everything about this website and its content. Here you will find update announcements or requests for feedback. Questions about layout, functionality, content, and your suggestions are welcome.
Ratatouille

Do we need more strict or more loose moderating?

Sorry to bring this up, but somehow I feel a little bit of vulgar display of poweer whenever some moderator brings down a topic unilaterally.

Since I think most of us are not journalists we are not bound to journalistic principles and behavior. That of course provides us with the right to bash, troll and do so many other things mainstream media cannot get away with.

Somehow I feel every time MX_Tifosi shuts down a thread ( I don't have anything against him personally) freedom of speech and freedom of thought is going down the gutter. If what I say infringes some kind of rule of the forum, please proceed to cancel my account and close down this thread as well. I don't want to be part of a forum where I am not allowed to speak myself openly. Even if what I say is not popular or nice to others.

Best regards
Last edited by Steven on 11 Jul 2010, 13:39, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Renamed thread from "Are we in communist China?"

Earnard Beccelstone

Re: Are We in Communist China?

EDIT: Not worth it.

IBTL

Steven
Owner

Oh nice... hear me.

To begin with, you posted this in the completely wrong forum, and after 30 posts you should already know some of the basics around here.

Second, if you believe bashing and trolling is a right, then obviously you are not in the right place. We, and I mean we, as in the F1T team believe that bashing and trolling has come too far already, and we are pushing it back, with whatever means. The current situation is a long way from what this forum was 3 years ago, and you must have recognised that there are members who are seriously annoyed by some of the continued fanboy and bashing threads around here.

As such, there is also no need to target mx_tifosi on this issue. As has always been the case, we encourage discussion, and frankly it's possible about any topic, as long as it's in the right subforum (hence, new car or computer problems belong in off-topic chat). Bottom line is that threads are only closed when people fail to follow advice from moderators, as in stick to the topic. If a thread ends up in pages of bashing and conflicting personal statements without facts, there is no point in going further.

Personally, I believe and sincerely hope that you are rather alone with your idea of allowing more than we are now, as most people appear to be asking for more and stricter moderation, which is what we are doing at the moment.

If some members around here have absolutely no interest in formula one or general vehicle technolgy, than I'm not all too sure what they're doing here.

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Edited no longer applicable :oops:
More could have been done.
David Purley

jshaw

There is no such thing as freedom on internet forums, this is not a bad thing because the internet is full of idiots who need protecting from themselves. How can we have freedom of speech and thought when people don't think before they speak?

Oh and points for the really clever comparison to communism, not.

Oh and by the way, don't you think [insert name here] is overrated? #-o

JohnsonsEvilTwin

So long as it doesnt descend into the squalor cesspit that is known as crash.net, then Im sure it will be fine.
What you can say of F1technical, is that the moderators are fair and balanced in their censure 9.5 times out of 10.
More could have been done.
David Purley

Giblet

Posting here is a privilege, not a right. This is not a democracy, but it's also not a communist regime.

Nobody should feel they can do as they please.

Welcome to the frontier town known as the Internet.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

Richard

Thanks Tomba - nice to see that enhanced policy explained.

+1 for Giblet saying ...

"Posting here is a privilege, not a right."

Belatti

First of all F1T team is doing, and always did, a great job. Latelly has been doing a lot of "kindergarden teacher" job, I must add.

Second, the F1T team is in the "soft" side from my point of view, I think I would have banned a lot of idiots in an "unilaterally" way if I where a moderator here, but Hey! I also think I dont have the qualities needed to be an internet moderator.

Third and last, vulgar display of power is this:

:mrgreen:
"You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." -Juan Manuel Fangio

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." -Ayrton Senna

donskar

Belatti wrote:
First of all F1T team is doing, and always did, a great job. Latelly has been doing a lot of "kindergarden teacher" job, I must add.

Second, the F1T team is in the "soft" side from my point of view, I think I would have banned a lot of idiots in an "unilaterally" way if I where a moderator here, but Hey! I also think I dont have the qualities needed to be an internet moderator.
+1. I agree completely. (The server killed this post the last time I tried, but I hope this is worth reading)

If there is any criticism I could raise against the moderators it would be that they are too lenient (too "moderate" eh?) I would have banned several members long ago.

F1T has declined since I first joined. More fan boys, more personal attacks, more trolls, more obsessive posters who want to dominate a thread with their own agenda rather than take part in a meaningful dialogue. We should never have to see "Edited to remove foul language." We should never have to put up with "STFU." But we do. This is one of four forums I participate in -- two on auto racing -- and it is the best, but it is slipping very badly.
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

andrew
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland - WhiteBlue Country (not the region)

I would second Johnson's post. The moderation on here is fair and they seem to give fair warning when someone steps out of line and gets too involved in a frank discussion with some of the more enthusiastic members. At least here the moderators are a visible force and openly communicate with the members. =D>

Being a moderator must be pretty awkard at times but I don't think any are doing a bad job. Preventing certain views and opinions from being voiced is commendable. If you look past the end of your own nose, it is for the image and good of the site to remove certain comments which are considered controversial and as the opening post states "freedom of speech".

gridwalker

Belatti wrote:Image
One of my favourite album covers of all time :D
"Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine ..."

Scotracer

Belatti wrote:First of all F1T team is doing, and always did, a great job. Latelly has been doing a lot of "kindergarden teacher" job, I must add.

Third and last, vulgar display of power is this:

:mrgreen:
My second favourite album name ever, after Operation Ground and Pound by DragonForce. Epic, both of them 8)
Powertrain Cooling Engineer

Agenda_Is_Incorrect

To complement what everyone said, freedom of speech is not freedom to be disrespectful and to go against laws and rules. In Communist China, this topic would be deleted and you would be banned only for asking it. It's great that moderators and owners are finally holding members that go way beyond freedom af speech, otherwise it would be a matter of months before openly racist posts and simmilar things started to be common.
I've been censored by a moderation team that rather see people dying and being shot at terrorist attacks than allowing people to speak the truth. That's racist apparently.

God made Trump win for a reason.

bettonracing

This thread is Ferrari's fault. Or Hamilton's. Take your idea & shove it.

Regards,

H. Kurt Betton

P.S. OP, imagine this times infinity. Literally.