Do we need more strict or more loose moderating?

Everything about this website and its content. Here you will find update announcements or requests for feedback. Questions about layout, functionality, content, and your suggestions are welcome.
RH1300S

Re: Are We in Communist China?

Ratatouille wrote:Sorry to bring this up, but somehow I feel a little bit of vulgar display of poweer whenever some moderator brings down a topic unilaterally.

Since I think most of us are not journalists we are not bound to journalistic principles and behavior. That of course provides us with the right to bash, troll and do so many other things mainstream media cannot get away with.

Somehow I feel every time MX_Tifosi shuts down a thread ( I don't have anything against him personally) freedom of speech and freedom of thought is going down the gutter. If what I say infringes some kind of rule of the forum, please proceed to cancel my account and close down this thread as well. I don't want to be part of a forum where I am not allowed to speak myself openly. Even if what I say is not popular or nice to others.

Best regards
I moderate on another forum and it is tricky to find the line between appearing to be a power-crazed loony and keeping the temperature down.

What I find is that I tend to react to posters or threads that are bound to inflame opinion and upset the general discussion that can take place. I try not to let my personal opinions affect my decisions, the good health of the forum is a priority. Also, it is important to distinguish from over-enthusiastic members from those who really look for a fight.

It is very easy to let the place fall into total chaos and by it's very nature conversations are slightly distant, so the techniques needed to control that appear harsh.

TBH - I am amazed at the leniency this place has, some of the posters here would be on a very short leash elsewhere.

P.S. - I love Ciro's moderation style - grown-up and elegeant 8)

P.P.S. - Agenda is Incorrect +1 (or is that +2?)

Belatti

A little correction to Agenda is incorrect: Bolivia is a rather free and democratical country. Even more than the US, believe me.

RH1300S wrote: P.S. - I love Ciro's moderation style - grown-up and elegeant 8)
I would add his sense of humour :)
"You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." -Juan Manuel Fangio

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." -Ayrton Senna

Richard

On a point of order, the thread title should be "Totalitarian regime"?

Why isolate communists? Why do marxists, fascists, and theocracies get let off? Why pick on a northern nation, not equally worthy totalitarian southern nations?

Signed

United Peoples Front for the Promulgation of Southern Theological Marxist Totalitarianism for the Liberation of the Peoples' phpBB Forums.

DaveKillens

I've made a few posts that were on the line, and later found passages deleted by a mod. So what, I deserved to have my comments pulled. I was upset, not at the admins, but at myself for allowing my wording to become polarizing or of an inappropriate nature.

I have nothing but total admiration for all the admins in F1T, and respect for their tough job.
Racing should be decided on the track, not the court room.

Richard

ISLAMATRON wrote:
Belatti wrote:A little correction to Agenda is incorrect: Bolivia is a rather free and democratical country. Even more than the US, believe me.
No Belatti, the media tells him Evo Morales is an evil dictator so it must be true.
Perhaps it is a lingering memory of the various military coups from 1980-82? Fast forward to 2010 and ....

Human Rights Watch note "Bolivia enjoys a vibrant public debate" although they also note polarised politics has lead to political violence.
http://www.hrw.org/en/world-report-2010/bolivia

Amnesty International also noted outbreaks of political violence but also "positive developments in the area of economic, social and cultural rights."
http://www.amnesty.org/en/region/bolivia/report-2009

Pandamasque

Ratatouille wrote:Since I think most of us are not journalists we are not bound to journalistic principles and behavior. That of course provides us with the right to bash, troll........
....Somehow I feel every time MX_Tifosi shuts down a thread ..... freedom of speech and freedom of thought is going down the gutter.
Somehow I feel that members exploring their 'right' to troll and bash dragged this forum down the gutter. I've been an active member of F1T for years and recently almost stopped reading the forum. It's just too much effort to find some valuable stuff in pages of rubbish about who's the boss and who's overrated.

flynfrog

Pandamasque wrote:
Ratatouille wrote:Since I think most of us are not journalists we are not bound to journalistic principles and behavior. That of course provides us with the right to bash, troll........
....Somehow I feel every time MX_Tifosi shuts down a thread ..... freedom of speech and freedom of thought is going down the gutter.
Somehow I feel that members exploring their 'right' to troll and bash dragged this forum down the gutter. I've been an active member of F1T for years and recently almost stopped reading the forum. It's just too much effort to find some valuable stuff in pages of rubbish about who's the boss and who's overrated.
ditto

Agenda_Is_Incorrect

For how much longer F1 Technical will tolerate all that? That's not only unbearable topic disruption, it's not only putting agendas in topics, it's having to tolerate things that are not tolerable like racism, sexism, culturism and support to political extremism in an open and constant fashion!
Last edited by Steven on 12 Jul 2010, 22:32, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Stripped some political stuff
I've been censored by a moderation team that rather see people dying and being shot at terrorist attacks than allowing people to speak the truth. That's racist apparently.

God made Trump win for a reason.

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Agenda is incorrect,

I agree wholeheartedly with your sentiments, I, as a white South African (Proudly so) have been called racist on several occasions by the poster with whom you are attempting to communicate.
This for saying my country has gone to the dogs.

Basically, any political comment that has no context on F1 technical should be removed by the moderators, including this one.
Tough task you may think, but in reality most threads only descend into farce due to a specific posters.

No one is going to change anyones political views on an F1 thread.
More could have been done.
David Purley

CMSMJ1

Well..that was a thread and a half eh?

Thread drift about how this is not F1Technical anymore..but we end up with a fairly heavy tete a tete instead.

I'm with Panda, Flyn, Donskar et al - this place has become a fanboy, STFU, personal attacks, biased and unsubstantiatedo out of focus posting haven for purveyors of tripe.

I am all for some serious and excessive moderation.

If any thread that deviated from the topic for so much as 3 posts then purge it!

The Night of the Long Delete Key must be coming....

@ Tomba, Principessa and the esteemed moderators. I salute your patience and do not envy your position in that the wonderful forum that was built, grew and flourished now has issues where lack of respect between forum members and a lack of decorum is bringing the standards down.
IMPERATOR REX ANGLORUM

gridwalker

Agenda_Is_Incorrect wrote:In Nazi Germany ...
I hate to have to do this on F1Technical, but I am invoking Godwin's law on this one ...

http://www.wired.com/culture/geekipedia ... odwins_law

Mods, kill the thread.

*sigh*
"Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine ..."

andrew
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland - WhiteBlue Country (not the region)

This is getting too political for an F1 forum. I thought this thread was set-up to discuss potential improvements and/or changes to thread moderation but strong political agendas have taken over.

I second Gridwalkers' call to bring this thread to a close.

mep

I'm with Panda, Flyn, Donskar et al - this place has become a fanboy, STFU, personal attacks, biased and unsubstantiatedo out of focus posting haven for purveyors of tripe.
+1

I wrote it a few times before deleting messages is the way the mods NEVER should go. Many good members will get upset when mods start to delete posts or interact in a similar fashion to much. I already experienced this in another forum which is dead now. All the trouble was caused by a single mod. Many people complained about him but they all got banned and their posts deleted.

For several years this forum was a very nice and peaceful place but since mx-tifosi is mod here I am worried about it. I know he is a different person and will act different but I noticed that more posts are edited and threats got closed since then. Maybe it is one reason why threats like this suddenly pop up here.

In fact this forum has some problems because there are like 5% technical discussions and 95% Fanboy, driver trash talk.
I think this forum should focus more on technical stuff. Problems with personal attacks ect. will get solved by this because at the moment we don't have any of this things in the technical threats. The reason is that users who usually tent to such behavior don’t post in these threats. At the moment we rather have the problem that just very few users really write anything in these threats.

The forums main orientation should change. There should be fewer discussions about F1 and more about technical issues of motorsport itself. Apart from F1 there are hardly any threats about the technique of other racing series. Even worse the few we have are hidden in off topic category. I wonder why we never talk about rally, touring cars, or even drag racing. I think there is much to learn when you look a bit behind the horizon of F1. Even some general threats about science are missing. We also need threats about physic, math, engineering disciplines or even about how to use a program like excel, matlab, or Cad software. This attracts a different group of people and drives off the general mob.
On the same time non technical treats should be reduced.

ISLAMATRON

actually MEP, I think you have it reversed... MX was installed as a mod after alot of the fanboi/Hater threads started to pop up in order help control them.

I have no problem with the mods deleting any posts/threads which have overt racism, refer to nazi germany, communist China, Mugabe, or whatever else that doesnt need to be here... just as long as they are consistant.

There are plenty of technical discussions in the car and aero section(mechanical is dead), a majority of the driver discussions occur in the general chat area, if you dont like it just avoid it.

Free free to open threads about any racing series you wish in that appropriate section, as well as about any engineering software you wish.

The race discussion will allways be littered with controversy, dont like it than avoid those totally

rjsa

For those who complain about the political discussion, it will happen sooner or later in any comunity. The secret is to keep it confined somewhere far from the mainstream audience - where it won't contaminate all the forum. If you have a look at the AtlasF1 forums, it goes on and on - with some positive discussion and education along the way - on their less visited technical section.