Do we need more strict or more loose moderating?

Everything about this website and its content. Here you will find update announcements or requests for feedback. Questions about layout, functionality, content, and your suggestions are welcome.
mep

Re: Are We in Communist China?

actually MEP, I think you have it reversed... MX was installed as a mod after alot of the fanboi/Hater threads started to pop up in order help control them.
I must point out that I don't have a problem with MX-tifosi I just noticed many interventions. I don't know the reasons for it but I think we should generally be able to live without it.
I have no problem with the mods deleting any posts/threads which have overt racism, refer to nazi germany, communist China, Mugabe, or whatever else that doesnt need to be here... just as long as they are consistant.
Yes I agree. In some cases they need to be more strict as they are now. Threats with topics like " is hamilton gay" or "the schumacher bashing threat" should get deleated insted of just closed.
There are plenty of technical discussions in the car and aero section(mechanical is dead), a majority of the driver discussions occur in the general chat area, if you dont like it just avoid it.

Free free to open threads about any racing series you wish in that appropriate section, as well as about any engineering software you wish.

The race discussion will allways be littered with controversy, dont like it than avoid those totally
The problem is that we don’t have many people here who reply to these threats. Trashy driver/teams/race threats get several pages in a few days. Most technical threats still don’t have more than 2-3 pages after many weeks.
I think the reason is that users with real technical knowledge are lacking here. We must make the forum more attractive for them to join and visit. For example where is ciro pabon I haven’t seen any post from him for long time. We need more users like him here interactions by mods in not needed then.

Agenda_Is_Incorrect

gridwalker, if you want to believe in some sort of internet law that has little relation to reality in most times to stop this thread, then go ahead as it is an excuse to close a topic that should be closed like many others that start to go away from the original subject. But that doesn't mean any comparisons involving Nazis are not true, it's just a comfortable way to stop discussions by using this "law". And it doesn't come from the best of the sources also.

JET, I hope people from all races can see what I'm talking about. The problem is not just against whites, it's about everyone and F1 Technical getting ruined. The forum goes away from it's focus and every good opportunity to talk about politics gets ruined also. As rjsa said, sooner or later political discussions happens and are good, but not when they happen off-topic and with attacks and false claims based on agendas and hate. The way it is now, almost every topic is political and a bad way of political discussion.

mep, good and technical posters are not being active anymore because of all this. How can they post anything if they know the topic is going to be destroyed by some posters in a matter of hours by the same reasons as always (politics, hate, fan boyism and others)? And how can they have any hope to return if they know it always ends with endless discussion and rarely any action is taken to prevent this to continue? Some posters here would have been banned long ago even in political forums, here they always get another chance only to increase all the wrong things they do.

I say the moderators should not allow ANY off-topic discussions until things improve and some posters learn how to make topics and posts out of context with F1 Technical in a positive way. If they don't, they have had many chances and should be punished. Mods have been way too patient up to now and shouldn't be repressed by finally taking good actions.
I've been censored by a moderation team that rather see people dying and being shot at terrorist attacks than allowing people to speak the truth. That's racist apparently.

God made Trump win for a reason.

Pup
Pup

The problem is never the topic; it's always those discussing it. And in my experience, it is always the same individuals who create the problems, the know-it-all's and the forum bullies. You guys have (at least) one of each.

And you also have a group of moderators with a detectable Latin bias, however mild it may be. Perhaps that's just my perception, but perceptions matter. If you didn't have the know-it-all and bully problem, then it probably wouldn't be worth mentioning. But combine the two, and I suspect it may cause trouble at the end of the day.

Just my 2 cents.

Steven
Owner

This thread has just served as to display our new stricter policy appliance.

All political (and obviously off-topic) posts were removed from here, and the obvious political poster is temporarily banned.

alelanza

If anything a lot more policing/moderation is needed, and i'm glad mx is making it happen. Yes Ciro's style is nice and all, but it's 10% moderating, 70% good info/opinion, and 20% philosophical humor. Without proper moderation the autogyros, WBs, islamatron, etc. of this world would bring the forum down to a crawl/crap slinging pseudo scientific, make it up as I go contest.
In my opinion this type of poster should be given a max of 2 posts per day, so that they really have to sit down and choose something that can contribute to the forum. On the other hand the riff raffs, kilcoos, scarbs (am I being overly optimistic?) etc. should get a daily invitation to post more frequently, as their contributions are the reason this forum stands out from the rest of the intardweb's available options.
Alejandro L.

WhiteBlue

Pup wrote:The problem is never the topic; it's always those discussing it.
Well, that may be part of it. Nobody has made any serious effort to moderate all the off topic garbage we got until two weeks ago. I would be very comfortable to discuss even extremely esoteric issues like "Female genital mutilation" in the off topic forum. What bugs me is the blatant off topic content we have had to put up with this year.
Pup wrote:And you also have a group of moderators with a detectable Latin bias, however mild it may be.
+1 Definitely an issue IMO. The Latinos are given free reign. Other points of view may be ploughed under regardless of intrinsic value.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

Ratatouille

WhiteBlue wrote:
Pup wrote:The problem is never the topic; it's always those discussing it.
Well, that may be part of it. Nobody has made any serious effort to moderate all the off topic garbage we got until two weeks ago. I would be very comfortable to discuss even extremely esoteric issues like "Female genital mutilation" in the off topic forum. What bugs me is the blatant off topic content we have had to put up with this year.
Pup wrote:And you also have a group of moderators with a detectable Latin bias, however mild it may be.
+1 Definitely an issue IMO. The Latinos are given free reign. Other points of view may be ploughed under regardless of intrinsic value.
Exactly one of the points I wanted to make when I opened this thread. In an ideal world, we should all be able to know which are the limits, but since we are not perfect and we all have differing values then it is expected that all the views expressed in this forum might upset some people more than others, but under no circumstances these opinions should be erased or deemed "improper" by a 3rd party. Especially if as some of you have mentioned repeatedly there is a bias towards a particular ethnic group.

Being a Latin American myself, and having recently experienced the only coup d'etat of the 21st century in Latin America (check 2009 Honduras coup in Wikipedia), I can tell you that I've learned to appreciate freedom of speech and opinion diversity more than ever. It doesn't matter if we like it or not, no one should ever shut out or disregard someone else's point of view, as disgusting or tasteless we think it is, everyone's entitled to its own and opinion should be respected, and that of course includes not selectively erasing other peoples' posts.

I am sorry if by opening this thread I upset the moderators, I can tell you this is not my intention, I just wanted to make a point or two regarding some things I've been quietly observing around recently. If some people can get away with it and others cannot, then justice is not being served properly.

Steven
Owner

WhiteBlue wrote:
Some bias is never inevitable, but it is very very mild indeed.
On the other hand WB, there are certain members who have an EXTREME bias towards a driver or a country. Guys with such bias and with repeating complaints about other people being favoured should rather look at their own behaviour before they get banned.

We've seen enough of this.

WhiteBlue

Tomba wrote:Some bias is never inevitable, but it is very very mild indeed.
On the other hand WB, there are certain members who have an EXTREME bias towards a driver or a country. Guys with such bias and with repeating complaints about other people being favoured should rather look at their own behaviour before they get banned.
Fair enough. I hope it is ok if I give my two cents to that. If not you can delete it.

The owner of a site pays so he can very well have the music he likes. I do not mind that one bit.

I also think that actions of moderators should never be discussed in public. They decide what they do from their sovereign rights. But it is a good habit to have a fair dialogue about moderator action in private by PM and email.

Mods should also be accountable to the rules they make. If they come in and invent their own new rules again it is their sovereign right, but they need to specify in the rule section what is acceptable and what is not.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

Steven
Owner

WhiteBlue wrote:Mods should also be accountable to the rules they make. If they come in and invent their own new rules again it is their sovereign right, but they need to specify in the rule section what is acceptable and what is not.
We do follow the rules, but some unwanted behaviour is hardly expressable in a sentence.

Any suggestions to changes or additions to the current forum rules would be much appreciated, from anyone!

WhiteBlue

Mep, It may have escaped your attention that the thread you disliked was opened in a humorous spirit. To be honest my intention was to get the smelly stuff all in one place so that users who do not want to read such things all over the place can avoid it. If you have a dedicated thread for such things it becomes off topic elsewhere and moderators can simply cut it out and shove it all into one place. Nobody gets bothered who does not intentionally open the sh!t box. But then again, if a mod decides it is wrong I can also understand that.

gridwalker

Can we please change the title of this thread to something more relevant?

I find it distasteful to say the least, but I wouldn't want to think what a passing visitor may think ...
Last edited by Steven on 11 Jul 2010, 13:38, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Done
"Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine ..."

andrew
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland - WhiteBlue Country (not the region)

So what? If someone is responsible enough and has the time to spend being a moderator than their location is irrelevent.

Besides, if you look at people's profiles you will see that there a 2 Belgians and 2 Soth Americans. Nice global spread.

WhiteBlue

Tomba wrote:Any suggestions to changes or additions to the current forum rules would be much appreciated, from anyone!
  • Reference to other fora. You may not use this forum to complain about what is going on in another.
  • Advertisements for - or criticism of - other websites. Users can mention and quote from other websites or recommend them for their specialties. Users should not complain about how they got mistreated on another Bulletin Board, or invite everyone to join them on another Bulletin Board or spam for another site.
  • Sometimes a debate turns into a personal feud between two or more posters. a) This feuds are not be carried out in public; b) Mods are not judges for personal feuds; and c) PMs may not be used for feuds, unless BOTH sides want to discuss this and observe the rules of the board. Do not send an offensive Private Message to another poster, unsolicited. If posters constantly attack each other or harass each other - in public or via PM - BOTH sides will be warned. If someone insults you users are not absolved for insulting back. If a user thinks another user should be banned, it does not belong in the public. Take it up with the mods by complaint. If the mods disagree, do not launch a campaign of harassments against that poster. Insulting back won't make you right; it will only makes you an additional trouble for the mods to deal with.
  • Mobbing other users as a personal hobby or by a concerted campaign is not tolerated.
  • Disciplinary actions by mods are subject to privacy. Public discussion of disciplinary action is not allowed.
  • Discretion and respect of privacy. Some users do not want to be identified by their public persona for a variety of perfect reasons. Respect this wish and do not investigate to identify them and destroy their privacy. Address other users with their official user name.
Last edited by WhiteBlue on 12 Jul 2010, 13:49, edited 1 time in total.

marcush.

Re: Do we need more strict or more loose moderating?

I would love to have the mods more present ,but sure this is just second life if at all ....

this would help to keep on topic

what can you do about the personal attacks ? My proposal would be to put people who got a warning will go on probation...so for a limited time all posts will not appear before read and released by one mod,if they can´t behave ,sorry,bye.