Toyota TF106

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Reca

Last year I said I was confident that with 200 hp less we would have seen more interesting designs and not the “fit a wing wherever you can”. It almost look like they did their best to prove me wrong.

Gascoyne preferred lecture must be the “Lord of the wings”...

m3_lover

The car looks so cluttered now with all those wings/winglets, it kinda of makes the car look ugly with all those additional add-ons, it is not that asthecially appealing as other cars. The mini downfoce flaps on the front wing make it look so wierd.
Simon: Nils? You can close in now. Nils?
John McClane: [on the guard's phone] Attention! Attention! Nils is dead! I repeat, Nils is dead, ----head. So's his pal, and those four guys from the East German All-Stars, your boys at the bank? They're gonna be a little late.
Simon: [on the phone] John... in the back of the truck you're driving, there's $13 billon dollars worth in gold bullion. I wonder would a deal be out of the question?
John McClane: [on the phone] Yeah, I got a deal for you. Come out from that rock you're hiding under, and I'll drive this truck up your ass.

ginsu

I think this detail shot is pretty interesting, I believe those are heat sensitive stickers on the outlet. I wonder why they leave it unpainted, anyone?
I love to love Senna.

scarbs

If its painted and it gets hot it discolours the paint, much like BMW Saubers brown exhaust louvers. Keeping it black hides this.

ginsu

Wow! Gascoyne did a bunch a work. Look at the winglet on the rear crash structure. And an extended diffuser exit below it.

Interesting that he kept the upper winglet separated from the end plate, but choose to mount a link near the bottom to keep it stiff?

Also, an endplate on one side, but not the other?

Interesting to note that the small wing on the nose cone is a positive lift wing with a negative angle of attack.

OK, now that's some aero! I can't even imagine what all these little things do.
I love to love Senna.

m3_lover

When they compare the Bahrain package TF106 and the winter testing TF106, is the ride height alittle up in the Bahrain package?
Simon: Nils? You can close in now. Nils?
John McClane: [on the guard's phone] Attention! Attention! Nils is dead! I repeat, Nils is dead, ----head. So's his pal, and those four guys from the East German All-Stars, your boys at the bank? They're gonna be a little late.
Simon: [on the phone] John... in the back of the truck you're driving, there's $13 billon dollars worth in gold bullion. I wonder would a deal be out of the question?
John McClane: [on the phone] Yeah, I got a deal for you. Come out from that rock you're hiding under, and I'll drive this truck up your ass.

zac510

At this rate Gascoyne and Toyota might become remembered as the first team to make an f1 car's aero act just like a closed body car. It's almost as if that is their goal.

manchild

ginsu wrote:...I can't even imagine what all these little things do.
Waste 400.000.000 euros :lol:

ginsu

Waste 400.000.000 euros
Yes, but it's still better than wasting it on Ralf Schumacher. :)
I love to love Senna.

f1.redbaron

ginsu wrote:
Yes, but it's still better than wasting it on Ralf Schumacher. :)
Oops...too late!

ginsu

These updates are all due to debut in Bahrain. The front wing has revised endplates with an additional side fin (1). On the inner edge of the endplate is another smaller horizontal fin (2), mounted slightly lower than the extra T-winglet (3) on the main profile. Curved winglets (4) on either side of the bottom end of the nosecone act as a splitter for airflow passing through the front wing flap and also increase efficiency of the lowermost section of the chassis close to the sidepods. The fins at the top of the nose cone (5) are still present. These aid airflow management to the rear of the car and also help improve front-end balance.
I love to love Senna.

ranger

Active: 2006 - 2006
Team: Toyota Motorsports GmbH

Designer: Mike Gascoyne
Drivers: Jarno Trulli (7), Ralf Schumacher (8 )

In preparation of the TF106, Toyota switched some key suppliers for its cars. Most importantly Toyota runs on Bridgestone in 2006 after several years with Michelin. The driver restraints manufacturer changed to Takata while the dampers are now from Penske. The latter change has to do with a change in rear suspension geometry. It solved a problem that was present in earlier Toyota racers

Technical director Mike Gascoyne commented: "We also have a significantly different rear end lay out. The gearbox is fundamentally the same, but it has reduced weight and it's stiffer. However, we've gone away from the rotary rear damper concept that we've had for the last couple of years to a linear rear damper. We've identified a damping problem with the car over the last couple of years, which we've now put right. When we ran the TF105B all the drivers' comments were that we'd made the front end much, much better, but the car was rear limited ? they were just waiting for the rear to settle down. We had the linear rear damper layout coming along, and in testing we saw that the TF106 was a significant improvement. It matches the rear with the front, and produces a more balanced car."

More on what the designers and the team have to say about their TF106 can be found here:

Luca Marmorini on the new V8 engine
Mike Gascoyne about the new chassis
The team's first impressions
Specifications

Monocoque construction: Moulded carbon fibre and honeycomb construction
Fuel tank: ATL safety cell
Front suspension: Carbon fibre double wishbone arrangement, with carbon fibre trackrod and pushrod. Pushrod activates rocker, torsion bar, damper and anti-roll bar assy
Rear suspension: Carbon fibre double wishbone arrangement, with carbon fibre toelink and pushrod. Pushrod activates rocker, torsion bar, damper and anti-roll bar assy
Dampers: Penske
Wheels: BBS forged magnesium
Tyres: Bridgestone Potenza
Brakes callipers: Brembo
Brakes master cylinders: Brembo
Braking material: Hitco (carbon/carbon)
Steering: Toyota power-assisted steering
Steering wheel display: Toyota carbon fibre wheel with Toyota/Magneti Marelli instrument
Driver seat: Carbon fibre construction, moulded to driver's shape
Driver restraints: Takata
Driver HANS device: Toyota design
Electronic systems: Toyota/Magneti Marelli
Transmission: 7-speed unit plus reverse. Toyota-designed maincase with Toyota/Xtrac internals. Gear selection is sequential, via driver controlled electro-hydraulic actuation
Dimensions
Wheelbase: 3,090mm
Overall length: 4,530mm
Overall height: 950mm
Overall width: 1,800mm
Overall weight: 600kg including driver and camera
Engine designation: RVX-06
Cylinders:90° V8
Capacity: 2398cc
Horsepower: Approximately 740bhp
Revolutions: Approximately 19,000rpm
Valve actuation: Pneumatic
Throttle actuation: Hydraulic
Spark Plugs: DENSO
Fuel: Esso
Lubricants: Esso
You never know what's going to happen. - Daniel

manchild

It is already on this site since 14.01.2006!

http://www.f1technical.net/f1db/cars/897

ginsu

The exhaust looks really far forward in this picture. I guess that helps fill in the space behind the radiator. Also, the rear wishbones are obviously not parallel, so that's not ideal, but that's what they sacrifice for better aero, i guess.

Here's a great shot of how the tranny mounts to the engine. Looks like it's all Titanium.
I love to love Senna.

f1.redbaron

Here are the exclusive pictures of the new TF106B. For the record, Mike hasn't finished adding on all the bits, but this is what the car will look like

I don't know why am I so mean to my team :D