Singapore Grand Prix 2010 - Marina Bay

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
ESPImperium

Re: Singapore Grand Prix 2010 - Marina Bay Street Circuit

While im on it, heres the confirmed and proposed track changes for 2011:

Red = Arround 90% confirmed
Yellop = Proposed

Shrieker

ESPImperium wrote:
Red = Arround 90% confirmed
Yellop = Proposed
They'll chop that entire loop on the left, thus making a lap a lot shorter ? :?
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

Giblet

What was the attendance last race, was it sold out? Seems a sure fire way to make less money by having less room for spectators.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

ESPImperium

Yup, as the GP on both occasions has came close to the 2 hour limit, seemingly they want it to be shorter in lap time. Cutting that loop off will take as much as 25-30 seconds off tha lap, with a change in ammount of laps, posibly taking it down to arround 275KM plus 1 lap, simmilar to what Monaco is also lookins likley. The Singapore track will also see some corners tightened as well to make the lap time longer.

The yelow section has been mooted as well, but looks unlikley as that will see the track loose a 5,000 seater stadium and places for 3 large screens for the spectators.

Seemingly it has been seen by the teams as a popular move as it will see the cars not go accross the Anderson Bridge that many drivers have voiced saftey opinions about last year.

There is one other option, and thats where Esplonade park is, and thats to make that into F1 track, with a 90% smaller loop installed there, simmilar to this, so there can be some tempoary seating installed on the green there, but could be potentially unpopular;

ESPImperium

Singapore 2008 Race Time: 1:57:16.304 (1 saftey car, Piquet Crash, Lap 14, for 4 laps)
Singapore 2009 Race Time: 1:56:06.337 (1 Saftey Car, Heidfeld/Sutil colision, Lap 21 for 4 laps)

All thats needed is a second SC period and its the 2Hr limit thats in play.

andartop

:shock:

Haven't they thought of that when they were designing the track?

Could they try and make it faster rather than shorter???
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. H.P.Lovecraft

raymondu999

I was on the opinion they wanted to speed the lap up, and there were some thoughts of axing the Singapore Sling and some other corners/chicanes.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

bjpower

If the 2 hour limit comes into play,
does anyone know if the must run both sets of tires rule still stands?
difficult to run 1 tire for the entire race.

Raftaar

Hello everyone !

Great question there bjpower ! One would have to refer the rule-book for this, am sure members of the forum would know/ find the answer.

Talking of accident delays and SC periods, I think the only real mishap-maker of the this circuit is corner 7, is it not!! Since it is so tight with barriers all around, it is very tricky; Thank Heavens they atleast have run-off area.

Dipl-Ing.

Corner 7?
I would say Turns 10 & 11 that stupid chicane, can remember a Ferrari hitting the curbs hard and going straight into a wall, and also Turn 19, is it? the one that leads under the Stands. Think some drivers got that wrong

Dipl-Ing.

Was just looking at the proposed Track layout, the yellow and red circuit in ESPImperium first post. I think that looks fantastic, if they could just turn the "Seating Gallery" around. I really enjoy fast circuits, makes things a bit more exciting.

ESPImperium

Ive looked at the layout a litte more and coam up with the layout that i think could make the lap time faster by eliminating clow corner, the Singapore Sling and re profiline the last corner again to be more radiused, almost like what a Copse would be on a street cuircit.

Without being actually on site, and with more ino other than that map, im not sure what else can be done with this track layout. The blue box at turn 1-2-3 was to be massivly different in the origional layout, but the land could not be aquired for a better 1-2-3 section.

raymondu999

The last corner though is already a flat out corner. You take up the first apex but you run wide of the 2nd apex. Or it's the other way around. It already is a fast-ish corner.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Raftaar

You are right there Dipl-Ing. . The Ferrari in question was that of Raikkonen, he was already having a horrible race before that happened. There should not be a chichane there in the first place, it just a plain piece of asphalt with curling set of kerbs, a makeshift chicane! Can only entice drivers to straight-line it!!

But you've got the point Dipl-Ing. , this is a challenging circuit, certainly not the driver's favourite!!

raymondu999

So... predictions, everybody? :mrgreen: I think the bumpy track won't like McLaren's stiff springs, and Ferrari's traction/braking would see them in good stead here. As for Red Bull... well they're just plain fast.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法