Project ideas..

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
wesley123

Re: Project ideas..

Well imo, an project that is actually usefull for future roadcars is much better to do so then for example that(though I like the idea).

The point is, you have to do an project the whole year, so you have to like it, and having the idea you are actually doing something usefull only helps in your enthausiasm to do so. Furhter an usefull project(it doenst even have to be that much succesfull) increases the chance of your job at an car manufacturer for example, as you show to be thinking innovative.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

greenpower dude reloaded

You may be interested to know that there is a bit of hype building up at both campus (campi?) about a possible entry in to F24+ which is the series I compete in. OK, it's not your typical sort of vehicle but you still get to race it at Silverstone in April! PM me if you would like me to put you in touch with some of the people planning to start a team.

BTW, for more info visit www.greenpower.co.uk or www.horsfallracing.co.uk

flynfrog

I did a solar car body optimization for my independent study. Took me more like 1.5 years but it was fun to work on a project that really exists

vinno

hollus wrote:Does it have to be racing?

What about a study on the possible effects of an "F-duct equivalent" in road cars? It might not be marketable, but it is valuable as a feasibility study and gives you some space to show creativity as well as technical skill. You would have to think of possible practical arrangements for these ducts, intake, outlet and control; as well as then analyze them properly.
I really like that idea. I'll definately have a think about the process of doing that as a project and put it on my ideas list.

I'm happy to say I have about 4 ideas now that I can present to my lecturers (tommorrow gah!) and hopefully they'll like one of them.

The ideas I have decided to put forward are:

-Investigating how different downforce levels from the front wing affect rear downforce and general downforce balance (suggested by wesley - thanks!)

- Investigating the effects of a slipstreams on overtaking and how this effect can be reduced. (Tim.Wright and mep - thankyou)

- The effects/feasibility of intergrating an F-duct style system into road cars. (hollus - cheers :) )

- And my original, kinda bad idea which I didnt really get across very well.

One thing I am kinda unsure about is can these ideas be investigated using CFD software only? My university doesnt have access to a wind tunnel or anything of the like.

And Hollus, no it doesnt have to be racing, I just think I'd enjoy a racing aspect more so than say, investogating heavy goods vehicles.

Thanks for all the super advice and ideas, if anyone else want to comment more than please do!

I'll keep you all updated as things progress.

flynfrog

you don't need a wind tunnel to do wind tunnel testing. Maybe that could be your project develop a low cost wind tunnel method.

Shrek

flynfrog wrote:you don't need a wind tunnel to do wind tunnel testing. Maybe that could be your project develop a low cost wind tunnel method.
would this work?: have a big fan on max and put a fire in front of it, and have the car on scales and there you have your own wind tunnel (downforce measurements only though) compltete with a smoke to visualize the air
Spencer

vinno

Just to let you all know - I got my project sorted with my lecturer.

We decided together that the investigation into the problems with overtaking due to the "dirty air" from the wake of the car infront was a good one to go for.

Another thanks for all the help and advice in the past few days.

I'm sure I'm going to become a very active member over the next few weeks/months :)

Just_a_fan

That should be very interesting and relevant to a potential employer in the future.

I hope you'll be able to post some of your interim findings as you go along. I for one will be fascinated to see how it progresses.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

flynfrog

Shrek wrote:
flynfrog wrote:you don't need a wind tunnel to do wind tunnel testing. Maybe that could be your project develop a low cost wind tunnel method.
would this work?: have a big fan on max and put a fire in front of it, and have the car on scales and there you have your own wind tunnel (downforce measurements only though) compltete with a smoke to visualize the air

why use a fan?

Rutan mounted tail sections to a platform on the front of his truck.

Why not use the car itself. A few baseline runs a few sensors and you can get a pretty good idea for drag and lift based off of coast down and suspension movement.

747heavy

vinno wrote:Just to let you all know - I got my project sorted with my lecturer.

We decided together that the investigation into the problems with overtaking due to the "dirty air" from the wake of the car infront was a good one to go for.

Another thanks for all the help and advice in the past few days.

I'm sure I'm going to become a very active member over the next few weeks/months :)
Maybe this is worth a read, to get into the swing of things with your project

http://www.transtec.co.uk/doit/loadva/s ... lpaper.pdf

goood luck
"Make the suspension adjustable and they will adjust it wrong ......
look what they can do to a carburetor in just a few moments of stupidity with a screwdriver."
- Colin Chapman

“Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.” - Leonardo da Vinci

mep

Nice to hear you choose that topic.
I think it has good potential for a very good final project.
Once its ready I want a pdf version of it.
Try to make a chapter about close following in corners versus good slipstream on straights.