Lotus T127 Cosworth

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
ESPImperium

Re: Lotus T127

pipex wrote:Scarbs blog says that the new gearbox will be designed in part (or completely) by Lotus... Maybe Lotus will design the gearbox casing and the suspension attachment points? I remember reading that there are some people in Lotus that were from the gearbox/hydraulics department at Toyota.
That may make sence, but im sencing that Lotus are gonna have a bespoke case for their car and the red Bull RB7 will have another for their package.

thestig84

@edb_lotusracing Elliot Dason-Barber
V pleased 2day! We can now talk about the RBT gbox deal. I know their rear suspension really well as was developing them all upto & inc RB5

This suggests that they will run Redbull rear suspension. Surely that would make it pointless for them to change the design of the gearbox casing and suspension attachment points?

deus1066

The Redbull/Renault deal is brilliant for Lotus. When Force India gained Mclaren/Mercedes drivetrains they went from dead last on the grid to scoring their first ever points and podium. I think that'll be too much to ask for Lotus, as a few other things went in the way of FI to get that success. But I think first points and being competitive in the midfield next season would be a great achievement in only their second season with relatively small finances, and with this deal it's a genuine possibility.

donskar

pipex wrote:Scarbs blog says that the new gearbox will be designed in part (or completely) by Lotus... Maybe Lotus will design the gearbox casing and the suspension attachment points? I remember reading that there are some people in Lotus that were from the gearbox/hydraulics department at Toyota.
This makes sense. And I'd think they'd not go too far redesigning the case, lest they lose strength and rigidity.
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

nacho

Just had a thought while cooking.

Could the reason why the engine deal has still not been announced that Lotus is waiting on which engine Red Bull will use and go with that? Outside Cosworth and Renault that would leave Ferrari, Mercedes and the unused BMW, Toyota and Honda engines, from which Mercedes and BMW might be an "upgrade", knowing how Ferrari would never supply Red Bull, but Toyota and Honda surely wouldn't unless they've been developed when being off.

spinmastermic

Redbull and Lotus will have a Renault in the back, Fact.

dren

I don't know why they would use a BMW, Honda or Toyota engine when all three have left the sport and are not supplying engines anymore. I figure the Renault deal is just taking time until the paperwork is finalized. I highly doubt Mercedes will supply engines since Red Bull got the no-go last season. Ferrari could be a possibility although I fully expect Lotus to go with the Renault engine assuming Red Bull will have them too.
Honda!

nacho

Yeah I think it will be Renault, but I just wonder why its taking so long to announce.

I just read from TS that one of the reasons Lotus is going for Red Bull is that Renault couldn't make as many boxes for next season as Renault are going for a totally new design with pull-rod suspension.

Lotus had already designed to go with push-rod suspension for 4 first races and then switch to pull-rod. Now they are able to design and compete rightaway with the pull-rod setup.

imightbewrong

Ok, so I asked Mike Gacoyne on twitter if it was likely that they will be running pull-rod next year. Answer: Yes.

http://twitter.com/#!/MikeGascoyne/status/26817062247

FW17

Front or Rear?

mx_tifoso

Try opening the link and reading everything. :wink: He asked if they might have a pull-rod at the back.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

adrianjordan

WilliamsF1 wrote:Front or Rear?
Is it even possible to run pull-rod at the front? Not trying to be funny, genuine question.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

scarbs

Such is the height of the current raised nose (at the front bulkhead) that there's no angle from the upper wishbone to lower part of the chassis to operate a pull rod.

imightbewrong

btw, I just have to say that is EXTREMELY refreshing to have such an open team as Lotus. How cool is it that I asked a question about next years car on a public forum and he answers it? Awesome!

marcush.

scarbs wrote:Such is the height of the current raised nose (at the front bulkhead) that there's no angle from the upper wishbone to lower part of the chassis to operate a pull rod.
I´m not convinced this is not feasible.And if made possible some mass will be put
quite a bit lower in the car.I got two ideas floating around that one .I think it is possible.
If you look at the rear layout of RBR5 and 6 it is very obvious that neweys pullrods do not really have favorable angles for actuation .the question is also if the 2011 cars will end up with as high tubs as we see currently.