F1 In Schools help : Pudin's project

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
tok-tokkie

Re: F1 In Schools help : Pudin's project

That is interesting FF.
1. No bearings for the wheels. Why was that? Do you think they would have helped? (Well if your best time was while sliding upside down there must be something to learn from that - but what?)
2. The lower level of the gas cannister allows a much sleeker car.

pudin

tok-tokkie wrote:That is interesting FF.
1. No bearings for the wheels. Why was that? Do you think they would have helped? (Well if your best time was while sliding upside down there must be something to learn from that - but what?)
Ya,what do i have to learn about the upside down thingy.
Do you mean that i have to hollow the top of my sidepods?
And pretty much everything in my car's main body frame are supporting the front,back and sidepods.
But,i'll try search for any parts that unneeded for my car.

Is that Lancer 10 in the background?
:wink:
I love my mom

pudin

I've removed the sidepods divider like you said flyn.
And is the rear tail okay?

I love my mom

flynfrog

there were origninaly bearings in the car but do to the thin side walls they kept popping out and where hard to get in strait. I used drinking staws and graphite.

I learned that most of the car didn't matter as long as it was light. That is also when I quit wasting time trying to get the bearings to work and I moved the wheels to the outside. I had a much different set of rules and much less competition than they F1 in schools crowd.

I was also using AL axles.

Pudin:
Maybe see if you cant take more material out of the leading and trailing pods to make it a strait tunnel clear to the back.

pudin

flynfrog wrote:
there were origninaly bearings in the car but do to the thin side walls they kept popping out and where hard to get in strait. I used drinking staws and graphite.

I learned that most of the car didn't matter as long as it was light. That is also when I quit wasting time trying to get the bearings to work and I moved the wheels to the outside. I had a much different set of rules and much less competition than they F1 in schools crowd.

I was also using AL axles.

Pudin:
Maybe see if you cant take more material out of the leading and trailing pods to make it a strait tunnel clear to the back.

This is my 1st car that been used in the beggining.

To take out more material at the front pods is too hard,but for the rear maybe okay.
I love my mom

flynfrog

there is a lot you can take out along the guide channel under the car. take it clear up to the side pod level if you need to cut some weight. I would leave the back side of the wheels covered though.

Its not a lancer in the back ground its a TDI Golf

pudin

flynfrog wrote:there is a lot you can take out along the guide channel under the car. take it clear up to the side pod level if you need to cut some weight. I would leave the back side of the wheels covered though.

Its not a lancer in the back ground its a TDI Golf

If i take the bottom right to the sidepods level,there's no place for my axel to be placed.
Maybe lowering the mass is enough right now.
Where did you get the AL axels?
In a hobby store or ordered it somewhere?

If it is Lancer,you got a bad taste man,compact car like TDI are the best.
8)
I love my mom

pudin

This two design seems nice.
The left one quite the same with my car.
The Ferrari car just looking good,really good.
Any ideas Flyn?
I love my mom

pudin

I got an idea for the sidepods.
And i change a little the rear tail,it chokes a little at the bottom,what do you think?
I love my mom

flynfrog

You can get AL welding rod for axles just get the diameter you need. They do bend easy though. I like the white car but I would blend the co2 chamber a little better.

pudin

But the white car have a venturi effect that choke the wind at the chamber.
Does my rear tail produce venturi effect?
It looks like but only a little perhaps?
I love my mom

flynfrog

pudin wrote:But the white car have a venturi effect that choke the wind at the chamber.
Does my rear tail produce venturi effect?
It looks like but only a little perhaps?

You have do have a divergent nozzle at the rear of the car but the airflow at that point is going to be pretty turbulent so it most likely wont matter. Fairing out the wheels is helping you more than the slight venturi is hurting you. You can always test these things in your cfd program. You just have to make sure you are using the same settings each time.

Its very hard to make a fully streamlined car you will always have high and low pressures the trick it to make them as small as possible. That being said the speed your cars travel mass is more important than aero.

you should test your new side pods vs the old ones and see what is better. Its hard to answer you without testing. I could make a guess but testing is the key.

pudin

Yeah i guess you're right.
Testing is more important
I think,the sidepods producing turbulence more than i expected.
In one of my cfd tests,i have constructed streamline to see where the air goes.
And,the air randomly flow to other places not to the back of the car.
This thing really bother me soo much,maybe i must find another way to decrease mass i guess beside hollowing the sidepods or maybe hollow the sidepods but close the wind entrance from the front.
I love my mom

pudin

Flynn,i wonder,what is the diff between the straight pods than the curve pods like the solar car?
Could u give me detailed info there are any.
And,should i extend my rear or front tails?
Its kinda short,or maybe extending my sidepods.
thanks
I love my mom

flynfrog

the curve in that teams fairings was to reduce whetted area and to reduce side wind sensitivity. Whetted area is area that is being touched by your fluid in this case air. most solar cars have separate fairings for each wheel. as your side pods are now I would just run them strait. as for extending things I cant really say use your CFD to evaluate changes.