F1 In Schools help : Pudin's project

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
pudin

Re: F1 In Schools help : Pudin's project

pudin wrote:I've made major changes to the sidepods by hollowing it.
I manufactured the car and realize that its mass above average.
Im gambling by hollowing the sidepods.
I also change the co2 nozzle to a new one to follow the regs.
i didnt have much time to test this car yet.
I combined the curved sidepods that flynn said with the hollows.
Is this better or worst?

Maybe i just use this car as my base car,without the hollow part of sides.
I have no other idea to add or remove what from this car.
I love my mom

basizeland

Your car is definitely improving and from my experience as the design engineer for Basilisk Performance just keep making changes and test them and continue the process. I want to clear up 1 thing even though we didnt have the fastest car at the World Finals it wasnt because of the design it ended up being 4 grams too heavy which from previous experience makes a big difference as we did tests with an accelerometer in our cars which weighed about 3 grams and that was making the cars run 0.055 seconds slower so if thats the case our car would have ended up the fastest car there if it was on the minimum weight so i dont think there is a problem with our design.

One thing that i found is VWT is really inaccurate because if u run the solver on the exact same car with the exact same settings it will give you different values every time so I would check that.

It is true that we smoked the razorbacks at the national final in a promo run and our worlds car as less drag then our nationals car so it should have beaten it by even more if it was the right weight. One of the reasons the razorbacks car broke the second barrier was because the conditions were perfect and it was at a high altitude so the air was thinner.

This is a closer picture of our World Finals car.

pudin

basizeland wrote:Your car is definitely improving and from my experience as the design engineer for Basilisk Performance just keep making changes and test them and continue the process. I want to clear up 1 thing even though we didnt have the fastest car at the World Finals it wasnt because of the design it ended up being 4 grams too heavy which from previous experience makes a big difference as we did tests with an accelerometer in our cars which weighed about 3 grams and that was making the cars run 0.055 seconds slower so if thats the case our car would have ended up the fastest car there if it was on the minimum weight so i dont think there is a problem with our design.

One thing that i found is VWT is really inaccurate because if u run the solver on the exact same car with the exact same settings it will give you different values every time so I would check that.

It is true that we smoked the razorbacks at the national final in a promo run and our worlds car as less drag then our nationals car so it should have beaten it by even more if it was the right weight. One of the reasons the razorbacks car broke the second barrier was because the conditions were perfect and it was at a high altitude so the air was thinner.

This is a closer picture of our World Finals car.

Good to hear from you Brett.
I also found that the VWT not really accurate,but maybe run the solver twice or thrice and find the average drag maybe could help the reading to be accurate.
you're car seems perfect to me,if not how could you won the engineering prize right?
And yeah,mass is the main enemy here.
As Force=mass x acceleration
reduce mass to increase acc as you can see.
Its hard isnt it to get an accurate 55g with the balsa wood's mass that always random and the painting with the cement of the car.
What is your international car's drag reading brett?
I love my mom

pudin

I found that curved side pods are better than the straight sidepods.
I've made about 3 CFD test on both design,and the curved sidepods won.
Surpirisingly,the straight pods won when i change my front tail to a straight position just like my second car.
But,im taking the curved pods with the df front tail because it cause me less mass and only slight diff with the straight pods drag.
If i manufact my car,it weight around 20% the initial mass.
Which is easy for me to calculate the average mass of the car after manufact for my final car.
I love my mom

pudin

This is our car rendered a little with the rear wing.
Solid edge cant paint the car's body and it sucks big time man.
Any last minutes idea?
make haste guys!
I love my mom

flynfrog

why did you deiced against the weight reduction?

pudin

flynfrog wrote:why did you deiced against the weight reduction?
What do ya mean deiced?
I've change a little about the car sidepods,but i can't upload it now,
Its like the basizeland national car sidepods but it have curved at it.
And,i extend the co2 canister a little longer.
and this things does change my car's drag from 0.201 to 0.1771
if u want its image,i can upload it here.
And do you want your name featured in our portfolio Flynn?
You did collabrate with me in building this car,so i hope u can give ur name to me.
If u dont want,i can write ur Flynnfrog name instead
I love my mom

Rugby GP

Hi
I am also entering the competition this year. With your design, the front leading edges all seem to be quite sharp. I think that the most aerodynamic shape is that of a tear drop- correct me if i'm wrong. I'm not sure that it will comply with rule 2K- the virtual cargo one.
I was also wondering how the cars are painted, and the logos put on them? it all looks very neat and tidy. Thanks for any help.

LegendaryM

I really wanted to enter this, but i could never get a team together
MRVC: Tolo Racing

pudin

Rugby GP wrote:Hi
I am also entering the competition this year. With your design, the front leading edges all seem to be quite sharp. I think that the most aerodynamic shape is that of a tear drop- correct me if i'm wrong. I'm not sure that it will comply with rule 2K- the virtual cargo one.
I was also wondering how the cars are painted, and the logos put on them? it all looks very neat and tidy. Thanks for any help.

The virtual cargo thingy,it does comply with the rules that a car must have a 30x50 surface between the sidepods.
My car actually measured 33x60,so it comply with the rules completely.
Before my car painted with air brush,my team cover the car with some sort of cement to strengthen up the car and makes the car look solid and shiny.
About the logos.We stick our sponsor logo at our tyres and our front wing
The blue car that u see,is not our final brushed car,it just default colour of the program i used,but the paint job quite similar to that car but with our team initial which is "R".R stands for Raikou that mean lightning in japanese.
I love my mom

pudin

LegendaryM wrote:I really wanted to enter this, but i could never get a team together

Get yourself one or two close friends should be enough i think,if they does not have enough exp,then train them.

"It takes time to build the Rome."
I love my mom

pudin

These are the pics of my final car.
If there are any last minutes idea,please post it here.
The bottom of my car at the tyre section u can see a curve,it is increasing drag but i need it to place the axels and tyres.
So ignore it or you have any idea tell me.
I extend the front longer than before and also the sidepods.
It sorta covering the wheels
I love my mom

LegendaryM

pudin wrote:
LegendaryM wrote:I really wanted to enter this, but i could never get a team together

Get yourself one or two close friends should be enough i think,if they does not have enough exp,then train them.

"It takes time to build the Rome."
whats the age limit for it
MRVC: Tolo Racing

pudin

18 i think.
BTW,im 16.
I love my mom

Rugby GP

About your car: not sure if it complies with rule 3g: all the wheel must be visable from above.
Hope this helps.