Sauber C30 Ferrari

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
ESPImperium

Sauber C30 Ferrari

Since there has been a glut of new car threads for 2011, i just thought that adding the C30 thread would be a good one as well.

With Mexican money from Telmex and the addition of GP2 2010 runner up Sergio Perez to Kimui Kobiyashai gives this team a strong and youthful personality, added to the fact that 2010 GP3 series winner Esteban Gutiérrez will be test and reserve driver alsm adds to this claim they will arguably the best youthful team out on the grid in 2011 is also good.

Altho the C29 was a decent car, allbeit one that was flawed with an engine it wasnt designed for is a good building block. The fact they also have James Key for his first Sauber car as well will also make the Sauber team ones to watch in 2011.

I hope good things about this team, they have god good drivers and a good technichal base and staff as well as good backing now. Can they make progress and mix it with Williams and Renault next year???

Formula None

Re: Sauber-Ferarri C30

There's a glut because some members feel the need to start a thread with their name on it before there's any relevant information available on the topic theyre proposing.

Most of what you bring up has to do with drivers and finance. A 2011 Sauber team thread would make more sense to me.

mith

It's purely speculation, but didn't the Telemex money arrive at Sauber too late to have significant impact on C30 development process?

PNSD

Hopefully we will see it through the season then.

I forgot James Key went to Sauber, lets hope he can see what he's done. The C29 seemed generally an OK car which prefered the quicker circuits. Looking forward to see what Sauber can produce!

ESPImperium

mith wrote:It's purely speculation, but didn't the Telemex money arrive at Sauber too late to have significant impact on C30 development process?
The C30 will be a decent car from the offing, the Telmex money did arrive about 10 days too late, but that isnt too far behind for when the car is finalised. It will mean compromises for the first couple of races, but ideally thats when the team should get to know its strengths and weaknesses and ironing out the latter for preperation for its first major upgrade package at Barcelona.

I predict the C30 to be a car that is solid enough to remain where the team left off in 2010, but a strong platform to build on for getting in amongst the likes of Renault, Williams & Force India from Turkey onwards.

As for James Key, he has been kindly granted the best wind tunnel (as of Febuary 2010) in F1 and the second best CFD facility (as of March 2010) in AlbertIII as they were finished as a present from BMW for Sauber as they started those upgrades to both their 'Tunnel and CFD facilities in May of 2009 and altho was conciered a waste of money by BMW at the time of pull out it was needed as the cost to go back to what they had would have been more than what they would have ultimatly spent.

I have high hopes for the C30, i think its main rival in 2011 will be the '1Malasia'-Renault car tho.

PNSD

James Key might have the best wind tunnel and CFD but lets hope he knows how to get the right numbers from it :wink:. A wind tunnel is only as good as the people operating it.

Florio

PNSD wrote:James Key might have the best wind tunnel and CFD but lets hope he knows how to get the right numbers from it :wink:. A wind tunnel is only as good as the people operating it.
With James Allen in the team I would be quietly confident of that :wink:

gibells

Florio wrote:
PNSD wrote:James Key might have the best wind tunnel and CFD but lets hope he knows how to get the right numbers from it :wink:. A wind tunnel is only as good as the people operating it.
mmm. Not sure about that. I'd quite like James Key tho. lol.

raymondu999

Florio wrote:
I think that Jonathan Legard would be able to help more in that respect :mrgreen: especially as in light-braking circuits, the hot air coming out of Legard's mouth can help to fill up the KERS capacitors :mrgreen:
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Florio

gibells wrote:
Florio wrote:
mmm. Not sure about that. I'd quite like James Key tho. lol.
Oh s***t. You knew who I meant :wink:

MugenHonda

Re: Sauber-Ferrari C30

The C29 was a good car, but just unrelabile with the Ferrari engine. Would the C30 be simliar to the C29?

timbo

MugenHonda wrote:The C29 was a good car, but just unrelabile with the Ferrari engine. Would the C30 be simliar to the C29?
By the end of the year, reliability problems seemed solved.
De la Rosa/Heidfeld managed to get some crazy mileage from 9th engine.

ESPImperium

timbo wrote:
MugenHonda wrote:The C29 was a good car, but just unrelabile with the Ferrari engine. Would the C30 be simliar to the C29?
By the end of the year, reliability problems seemed solved.
De la Rosa/Heidfeld managed to get some crazy mileage from 9th engine.
Rumor has it that #8 and #9 managed to do 3 full GP weekends (Friday/Saturday) each as they used #7 for FP1 and FP2.

The C29 was a vastly unrelyable car for the 2010 season first half but that was all due to the car and its packaging being optomised to the BMW P86/10 engine and not the Ferarri 056 powerplant. If they couldnt get a powerplant for 2010 seemingly they were gonna use the unused BMW P86 powerplants they had left, whitch was enough for 6 per car. Personally i think BMW should have provided power for 2010 for the team and allowed them more time to get it right for 2011 and waived the $75m compensation payment for 2010 to the team.

But i think now that the team has had a year with the 056 powerplant the team will make the car alot better, and should be relyable from the start. They are running rhe Ferarri/Magnetti KERS as well from what ive heard, and that should be easily packaged as well.

I have a good feeling about this car, just hope it looks as good as what the C29 did.

imightbewrong

Sauber has announced that it will be unveiling its 2011 contender, the C30, on the morning of 31st January at the Circuit Riccardo Tormo in Valencia.

The following day sees the start of the first official test ahead of the 2011 season at the same circuit.
http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpass_ ... t_id=42677

MugenHonda

ESPImperium wrote: The C29 was a vastly unrelyable car for the 2010 season first half but that was all due to the car and its packaging being optomised to the BMW P86/10 engine and not the Ferarri 056 powerplant. If they couldnt get a powerplant for 2010 seemingly they were gonna use the unused BMW P86 powerplants they had left, whitch was enough for 6 per car. Personally i think BMW should have provided power for 2010 for the team and allowed them more time to get it right for 2011 and waived the $75m compensation payment for 2010 to the team.

But i think now that the team has had a year with the 056 powerplant the team will make the car alot better, and should be relyable from the start. They are running rhe Ferarri/Magnetti KERS as well from what ive heard, and that should be easily packaged as well.

I have a good feeling about this car, just hope it looks as good as what the C29 did.
If the C29 was reliable I wouldnt been suprised if they got some podiums as the car wasn't to bad. The C30 hopefully can score higher up next year as they have data of the Ferrari engine from this year.