Renault R31

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Florio

Re: Renault R31

Neno wrote:
Florio wrote:Memory permitting I heard McLaren started designing the MP4-23 in December 2006. Well, what they could design without the need of regulation conformation. But yeah the cars take years to develop. I wonder how Renault will progress now with Bob Bell gone.
I heard that Bob Bell was quite careful with the rules of car design. did not want to go across the border rules, or "gray zone". This is one reason why is Bell released.

While Allison wanted to exploit the holes in regulations, more than is allowed. However this is good news for Renault, could see something new next year on the car.
I've heard that too. I remember him being extremely angry at the F-Duct this year in Bahrain. Was it Allison or Bell in charge of the aero development this year? The Renaults front wing's were brilliant.

Neno

Florio wrote:
Neno wrote:
Florio wrote:Memory permitting I heard McLaren started designing the MP4-23 in December 2006. Well, what they could design without the need of regulation conformation. But yeah the cars take years to develop. I wonder how Renault will progress now with Bob Bell gone.
I heard that Bob Bell was quite careful with the rules of car design. did not want to go across the border rules, or "gray zone". This is one reason why is Bell released.

While Allison wanted to exploit the holes in regulations, more than is allowed. However this is good news for Renault, could see something new next year on the car.
I've heard that too. I remember him being extremely angry at the F-Duct this year in Bahrain. Was it Allison or Bell in charge of the aero development this year? The Renaults front wing's were brilliant.
i dont now, but bell's leaving is good sign for renault. bell is --- up last 3 cars and i think one man (allison) make difference. just know that the new car work from the beginning and we will see some new designs of the car. I know that Tim Densham (Renault's designer) will have a free hand under the leadership of Allison (now tehnical director). Allison will try to use all holes in regulations. i think last 3 year Renault was too soft in making fast car and now they want tryed something different.

Carlo's

Interesting info from RF1 web page:
“At the moment the aero team is working on the package that will go on the car for the first race in Bahrain,” explains Technical Director James Allison. “We’ve already defined the geometries we will use for the launch car, but the wind tunnel work for race one will continue well into the New Year, especially for the parts that can be made at the last minute.”

Steven
Owner

I have just moved more than 2 pages of posts to the Lotus Renault thread:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9250&p=213767#p213767

Can we please stick to the R31 in here? Any off-topic posts in the car threads can and will be moved or deleted without further notice.

cravenciak

Kubica tries to adapt to the new chair :P

Probably first photo of R31 ;D

wesley123

skinny airbox it seems in that pic
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

cravenciak

Bigger:

Goran2812

very skinny... is that a real chasis or a mockup?
Visit my photo page! -> http://www.gorankphoto.com/formula1

Neno

Goran2812 wrote:very skinny... is that a real chasis or a mockup?
"As the new car nears completion, one of the final pieces of the jigsaw is fitting the driver in the car. And that’s exactly what has been happening at Enstone today as Robert met with his engineers for a preliminary seat-fit in the mock-up chassis."
"He had a chat with the guys for a progress report and inspected the latest version of the model. As you’d expect, photos were strictly off limits"

Blackout

Skinny indeed... it's a moke up but it's identical to the chassis, RF1PP said it. He also said that he took many photos but he chosen only this one because it doesn't reveal much from the car, unlike the other photos.

dren

wesley123 wrote:skinny airbox it seems in that pic
Bob just has a big head, it's a normal sized airbox.
Honda!

madly

Compare with R30. R31 airbox looks more skinny.

In case disappeared cache, permanent link http://www.renaultf1.com/Brazilian-Gran ... 2&doc=3491.

Blackout

Indeed
Not very precise but...

PlatinumZealot

The back shell of the airbox is just removed that's all.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Blackout

What would the engine cover change ? nothing, I think