Group Lotus buys Renault F1 Team

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
segedunum

Re: Group Lotus buys Renault F1 Team

WilliamsF1 wrote:May not be so much of a problem. Lotus are the title sponsors, like marlboro they will rarely get mentioned
Which is why I can see them running out of money pretty quickly. Proton simply can't afford this chest puffing. I wonder what Fernandes will do with two teams?

gibells

The irony of it is that Team Lotus are actually down in the FIA books as 1Malaysia, and that wont change because they'd loose their 10th position and prized money in a couple of years.

lolzi

Look at 0:11
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnXDEw3gqhk[/youtube]
Murray Walker would've described the situation a bit like this:
"Lotuses 1, 2, 3, not surprisingly because they're all Lotuses in this race"

lolzi

Re: Renault R31

ESPImperium wrote:But that Renault is a R30 and not R31. And no the R31, Mod, can you change the title of the thread to the Lotus Renault R31 now.
I don't think the title should be changed - the McLaren isn't called Vodafone McLaren Mercedes, or the Mercedes GP Petronas or Scuderia Ferrari Marlboro. My understanding is that Lotus isn't part of the name, it's a sponsor, but I might be wrong?

raymondu999

AFAIK, now Lotus cars owns 25% equity in the team, and Genii Capital owns the other 75%. The actual name of the team AFAIK is still Renault F1, and Lotus is supposed to be in the name only as a title sponsor and not actually part of the name.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

CHT
CHT

segedunum wrote:
WilliamsF1 wrote:May not be so much of a problem. Lotus are the title sponsors, like marlboro they will rarely get mentioned
Which is why I can see them running out of money pretty quickly. Proton simply can't afford this chest puffing. I wonder what Fernandes will do with two teams?

Between the 2 teams, I actually think that Team Lotus will run out of money faster than Group Lotus. Proton, being a Malaysia state owned company, and most definitely the faster of the 2 lotus teams next year, will play their political cards to gain maximum funding support from Malaysia government.

autogyro

I wish both teams well. I think Malaysia (government and Proton) has supported Lotus, both the F1 teams and the car company for some time and without upsetting the Lotus heritage.
I just wish they that they are advised that the in fighting on livery and names is being counter productive.
It is in everyones interest that they work things out in a friendly manner.

cravenciak

cravenciak

Blackout

I think the Renault logo must appear ahead of the Lotus logo, like the reglements stipulate
21.3 The name or the emblem of the make of the car must appear on the front of the nose of the car
The name is Renault, isn't it ? :mrgreen:

madly

The Telegraph - Exclusive: Q&A with Lotus Renault GP chiefs
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/motors ... hiefs.html

ringo

A lot of people want to know why didn’t you didn’t just sponsor Lotus Racing (now Team Lotus)? They also have links to Malaysia through Tony Fernandes, they already have a Lotus entry, and appear to have the legal rights to the Team Lotus name.

DB: "Well, first of all let me say that when we set up our business plans for the next five years F1 was always part of it. I strongly believe that if you can show customers that your technology derives from motor racing in general, and F1 in particular, it gives you additional credibility. On the subject of which team to go with, I think it was always clear from the beginning - and clear to me through my involvement in F1 [at Ferrari and Red Bull]. We know what budgets are needed to build a team up from scratch. We know what the timescales are to get to an acceptable level. And we simply do not have those resources, neither financial nor from a personnel point of view, to build up a big team and wait for that success. It’s very simple. So I think teaming up with an existing [established] team makes much more success for us. Not only a short-term success but a sustainable success for the future."
Makes perfect sense to me. I wont demonize them; it's the best way forward from a road relevance perspective. Malaysia F1 would take a longer time to achieve these goals, and require a bigger investment.
I feel sorry for Fernandes, and i think things can only get worse, becuase it was mostly the lotus name that gained popularity for the Fernandes team. Well if anything Tony can stick to the green and yellow and try to make a name for themselves.
I can't be so bad having similar teams in F1. Torro Rosso and redbull are the perfect example.
What about the contentious subject of the black and gold livery? Who is copying who? Tony Fernandes tweeted on Wednesday that you were copying their idea.

GL: "It’s interesting because ever since we began discussions we had the idea to run in black and gold and then it kind of leaked through the press and the paddock – and then three days later they [Team Lotus] were announcing they were doing black and gold. At the end of the day, as Dany says, it’s not our problem what colour or what name teams choose. I don’t think there will be any confusion as to which cars will be which in terms of position on the track."
:o Take that Team Lotus!!! :lol:
For Sure!!

FW17

ringo wrote:
A lot of people want to know why didn’t you didn’t just sponsor Lotus Racing (now Team Lotus)? They also have links to Malaysia through Tony Fernandes, they already have a Lotus entry, and appear to have the legal rights to the Team Lotus name.

DB: "Well, first of all let me say that when we set up our business plans for the next five years F1 was always part of it. I strongly believe that if you can show customers that your technology derives from motor racing in general, and F1 in particular, it gives you additional credibility. On the subject of which team to go with, I think it was always clear from the beginning - and clear to me through my involvement in F1 [at Ferrari and Red Bull]. We know what budgets are needed to build a team up from scratch. We know what the timescales are to get to an acceptable level. And we simply do not have those resources, neither financial nor from a personnel point of view, to build up a big team and wait for that success. It’s very simple. So I think teaming up with an existing [established] team makes much more success for us. Not only a short-term success but a sustainable success for the future."
Makes perfect sense to me. I wont demonize them; it's the best way forward from a road relevance perspective. Malaysia F1 would take a longer time to achieve these goals, and require a bigger investment.
I feel sorry for Fernandes, and i think things can only get worse, becuase it was mostly the lotus name that gained popularity for the Fernandes team. Well if anything Tony can stick to the green and yellow and try to make a name for themselves.
I can't be so bad having similar teams in F1. Torro Rosso and redbull are the perfect example.
What about the contentious subject of the black and gold livery? Who is copying who? Tony Fernandes tweeted on Wednesday that you were copying their idea.

GL: "It’s interesting because ever since we began discussions we had the idea to run in black and gold and then it kind of leaked through the press and the paddock – and then three days later they [Team Lotus] were announcing they were doing black and gold. At the end of the day, as Dany says, it’s not our problem what colour or what name teams choose. I don’t think there will be any confusion as to which cars will be which in terms of position on the track."
:o Take that Team Lotus!!! :lol:

I think Dany Bahar should have a chat with Mario Theissen, the last guy to have the wisdom to try that. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Intego

I think Team Fernandes has lost the game. Following his Twitter feed and the interview it get's clear that Lotus/Genii did well networking with Bernie as both Bahar and Lopez weren't at the F1 Commission meeting – they don't seem to have needs for discussion any more. And a confused Fernandes is wondering why there should be a media lunch from Lotus/Genii at Malaysia on Wednesday ...

BTW: Bransons glorious flight will be on Feb 21st! Where do I have to post that? 8)
"Posts targeted only at expressing favouritism or dislike towards people are treated as spam. They can hence be deleted without notice and could invoke a warning to the poster." f1technical forum rules

andrew
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland - WhiteBlue Country (not the region)

Intego wrote:BTW 2: Why is ScandAlonso not involved in Lotusgate? :lol:
He did drive for Renault last year. A tedious link has been established!! :lol: