Maldonado banned for life at Monaco

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
Steven
Owner

Maldonado banned for life at Monaco

After an incident at the Monaco Grand Prix that left a marshal with a broken back, young Renault development driver Pastor Maldonado has been banned from racing at the principality for life.

Maldonado had already been banned for the next four races in the World Series by Renault championship for the incident when he failed to slow for a crash during practice however, organisers of the Monaco Grand Prix thought it wise to ban him for life.

It’s a harsh blow for the Venezuelan who has already tested for the Minardi team in Formula One as it means he is likely to never get to race a Formula One car, no team could afford to drop a driver especially if he is serious about winning the title.

Maldonado says he regrets the accident and is “going through very difficult times”, he also said he believes the penalty to be completely justified.
One more sad story about a marshall :( :(

Fernando Alonso was just as ignorant with the yellow flags in Brazil a couple of years ago. Fortunately, no marshals came out at that time to bring in Webber's Jag.

tomas_sweden

Its really sad that people dont respect marshals, they are there for everyones safety and protection! I know, im running for Formula license right now, going for license next week! And thing is, the first ever thing i was taught in Racing school was how extremely important there is to respect them!

manchild

Been marshaling for 10 yrs...Drivers usually push the accelerator harder when they see yellow flag hoping to catch up competition and so... Marshals are enthusiasts that do this voluntary no big money for them still they're treated like s.it. I agree with Monaco authorities and wonder why FIA didn't sanctioned this driver too?

Byronrhys

Re: Maldonado banned for life at Monaco

What ever happened to this?

Giblet

I am sure it will be or has been overturned.

I can't imagine Frank Williams accepting "Oh, um, yeah, sorry Frank did I tell you I am banned from the Principality for life? Frank?".

The time it happened was sad for other reasons since Rainier III had just passed a month before.

For life might not mean for life either. In Canada for example, life in prison actually means 25 years.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

Giblet

I just found this tidbit.
Autosport-Atlas wrote:No Monaco Ban for Maldonado

By Biranit Goren Saturday, 21 May 2005 17:52

Further to a prior report published on Autosport-Atlas, we wish to clarify that RDD driver Pastor Maldonado was not banned for life from competing in Monaco.

Maldonado was penalised by the World Series by Renault race stewards and will serve a ban of nine races in total, including tomorrow's race at Monaco. No further action was taken against him.
Looks like it wasn't a lifetime ban after all.

Further digging finds that he was never banned for life it was mistake by autosport, but since Autosport acts like a Motorsport Reuters or Associated Press where lesser publications just take their reporting without fact checking it, that 'fact' gained a lot of traction.

Maldonado actually was the Monaco victor in 2009 if you want further proof.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

firemarshall82

I am marshall in Monaco

First of all, I like to report that my colleague is now ok and he's marshalling again.
He had injuries in his ankle and legs, but then he recovered.

The Automobile Club of Monaco DID ban Maldonado for life from the circuit.
It's not a urban legend. It happened really.

Shortly after the ban, mr. Hugo Chavez, close friend of Pastor, put pressure on Monaco authorities to withdraw this penalty, converting it into a huge monetary fine.

That's it, once again politics won on motorsports.

Giblet wrote:I just found this tidbit.
Autosport-Atlas wrote:No Monaco Ban for Maldonado

By Biranit Goren Saturday, 21 May 2005 17:52

Further to a prior report published on Autosport-Atlas, we wish to clarify that RDD driver Pastor Maldonado was not banned for life from competing in Monaco.

Maldonado was penalised by the World Series by Renault race stewards and will serve a ban of nine races in total, including tomorrow's race at Monaco. No further action was taken against him.
Looks like it wasn't a lifetime ban after all.

Further digging finds that he was never banned for life it was mistake by autosport, but since Autosport acts like a Motorsport Reuters or Associated Press where lesser publications just take their reporting without fact checking it, that 'fact' gained a lot of traction.

Maldonado actually was the Monaco victor in 2009 if you want further proof.

Jon
Jon

Nice to hear your colleague is ok.