Williams FW33

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
mx_tifoso

Williams FW33

Amazingly we don't have a thread for the Williams car yet! :shock:

So far there isn't much information out there aside from Barrichello and Maldonado saying that the new car will be very different and bold, and that they have developed a traditional in-house KERS.

Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

Florio

Re: Williams FW33

Did they say they were going from the flywheel to a battery? I forgot, but a flywheel seems a bit inpractical considering the packaging.

mx_tifoso

As can be read in the article linked at the top of this page;

Patrick Head:
"We will be running an entirely Williams-developed KERS system, with a battery storage cell. This is no reflection upon a flywheel system, such as we developed in 2008 for 2009, but it is difficult to package a flywheel system in a Formula 1 car with a 150+kg fuel tank. An F1 capacity battery pack is made up of a number of small lithium-ion cells, and they can be packaged into a shape which is convenient, usually positioned under the centre of the fuel tank.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

PlatinumZealot

The car really looks aggressive.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

raymondu999

That's what Head thinks. And what he wants us to think. But we don't know yet :mrgreen:
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

PlatinumZealot

Florio wrote:Did they say they were going from the flywheel to a battery? I forgot, but a flywheel seems a bit inpractical considering the packaging.
Yes we are going to electrochemical cells in 2011.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

ESPImperium

FW31-01 will be painted over the weekend, from Twitter:
@WilliamsF1Team
FW33 #01 chassis is now in the finishing stages before going to the paint shop after this weekend!

PlatinumZealot

Told you guys!
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

PatricioJuanco

I think the duo Barichello and Maldonado will be very beneficial to Williams, the mixture of veteran youth is perfect with a view to get the most benefit to the car.

FrukostScones

lets hope Maldonado got more talent than his name ("The mal donated one") suggests! :D
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

Mandrake

PatricioJuanco wrote:I think the duo Barichello and Maldonado will be very beneficial to Williams, the mixture of veteran youth is perfect with a view to get the most benefit to the car.
Well, last year they had Barichello and Hülkenberg, didn't do them too good either ;)

Unless the car isn't essentially better than last year, there might be no big difference I fear.

PatricioJuanco

Mandrake

What I mean is about the kind of driver who is Maldonado; his aggressiveness and determination to always go for all; Hulkenberg is excellent, but for me the Venezuelan is better.

Greetings

vall

they now say the first test will be with the old car!

Richard

vall wrote:they now say the first test will be with the old car!
McLaren are doing that as well. they get to benchmark the tyres against a known car. It also allows them another 10 days of development time, and 10 days less for the oterhs to copy their innovations.

Interestingly, the last two championships have been won by teams that missed the first testing session, ie Brawn & RB.

mith

vall wrote:they now say the first test will be with the old car!
It was already demented. They said that they will use FW33 with temporary livery.