F1technical server situation (speed/availability)

Everything about this website and its content. Here you will find update announcements or requests for feedback. Questions about layout, functionality, content, and your suggestions are welcome.
Giblet

Re: F1technical server situation (speed/availability)

Got his error twice today. The confusables have become confused with cofusement.

Fatal error: Out of memory (allocated 7340032) (tried to allocate 1245184 bytes) in /opt/www/vs03001/web/www.f1technical.net/forum/includes/utf/ ... sables.php on line 1
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

Richard

First of all, this is a great site. I'd happily be a supporting member (ie subscrbe) if you need any help with funding any changes.

For your information - I got the error below a couple of times. I was trying to see the caption thread viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1843&start=3060
Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.
Please contact the server administrator, webmaster@localhost and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 500 Internal Server Error error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Apache/1.3.34 Server at www.f1technical.net Port 80

myurr

carvetia wrote:@myurr

I've actually been working on something similar to what you suggest for a while that's going to be pulling F1 data from a lot of different sources (this forum, feeds, live timings once they're back up and I can work on parsing them again, galleries etc).

When it's up and ready for testing I'll be authenticating against this forum so users here can test it out. It will let you interact in real-time; it's going to be quite experimental/cutting-edge (web sockets) but hopefully interesting and useful for those who are willing/able to use a modern browser :)
Interesting... I was originally going to go the web sockets route with our implementation but then saw Firefox disable their implementation due to security issues, and believe that we'll either see the others have to follow suit when exploits become known and/or it's going to take forever for Microsoft to implement. We're going down the long held XmlHttpRequest route that should work in most browsers and environments and for anything less than a constant stream of data is almost as efficient (using a custom server infrastructure anyway). I havent looked into this with web sockets, but using the long poll technique we can also load balance the requests and run on the same domain and port, meaning we dont have any issues with the XSS rules blocking connections. It's also less likely to be blocked by firewalls.

Let me know if you ever need any: help, advice, ideas, testers, etc. More than happy to lend a hand.

wesley123

I got a similair error as Giblet just a minute ago;

Fatal error: Out of memory (allocated 9175040) (tried to allocate 1245184 bytes) in /opt/www/vs03001/web/www.f1technical.net/forum/includes/utf/ ... decomp.php on line 2
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

luca

Me too.
And I am also getting frequent "500 Internal Server Error" messages.

andrew
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland - WhiteBlue Country (not the region)

I just had this error message. I get this every once in a while but usually clicking refresh sorts it out.
Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.
Please contact the server administrator, webmaster@localhost and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 500 Internal Server Error error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Apache/1.3.34 Server at http://www.f1technical.net Port 80
EDIT: Just got this one:
General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]

Out of memory (Needed 1048544 bytes) [5]

An SQL error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact the Board Administrator if this problem persists.
Please notify the board administrator or webmaster: admin@f1technical.net
2nd EDIT: I just had the error reported by Giblet.

Now that I seem to have had all error messages going I'll stop cluttering up this thread! :lol:
Last edited by andrew on 02 Feb 2011, 21:56, edited 1 time in total.

Just_a_fan

I've just had a number of the same error as Giblet and Wesley123 have reported.

Also a couple of 500 Internal error messages.

Just FYI for the mods, not a complaint.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Steven
Owner

Problems have shifted actually.
As said, overnight we moved to a new server, added a bit of memory and changed some DB caching settings.

As it turns out, today memory is completely full most of the time, with the server aborting processes to prevent itself from jamming completely. Interesting as during yesterday's problems memory never went above limit.

I'll keep you posted...

myurr

Tomba, I noticed yesterday on the top screengrab you sent me that you weren't running any virtual memory. That tends to be a bad thing on Linux as it almost deliberately over allocates, using the virtual memory to page out inactive areas of main memory.

If you get stuck on the memory issue then this may help you - but again if the system ends up paging out too much too frequently then server performance can plumet. Careful tuning of Apache and MySQL will also let you juggle how much memory each uses.

WhiteBlue

Since the server has been changed I'm been logged out automatically at least once a day. This did not happen before.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

luca

Right now, the internal server error doesn't happen as often as it did yesterday, but it still does show up from time to time. Usually the forum works again reloading the page for a couple of times.

EDIT: sorry, I have to take that back...for a couple of minutes after posting this message, it got as bad as yesterday. :(

Just_a_fan

Mods FYI,

Been getting the following error several times this morning:

Fatal error: Out of memory (allocated 7077888) (tried to allocate 1245184 bytes) in /opt/www/vs03001/web/www.f1technical.net/forum/includes/utf/ ... sables.php on line 1

Also a few 500 Internal error messages.

Speed is ok between these issues though.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

luca

It seems ok now. :)

Steven
Owner

Well server has now been assigned 20GB of memory to see what we need in the future :D

Meanwhile I'm optimising queries to reduce the load on the database and speed up queries.

Tim.Wright

Considering the size of the McLaren thread and their car is not even released yet, I think another 20GB might be useful to borrow for a month or so.
Not the engineer at Force India