Red Bull RB7 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Gori

Re: Red Bull RB7 Renault

I think, that they changed the rear part of the exhaust geometry. If you look closely on the pictures you can see, that bodywork in this area is another than yesterday.

The picture over my post is a third version of exhaust geometry, if i am right.

PS: sorry for my bad English :oops:
"Keep on doin' this! This is very, very good!"

carvetia

The outlet pointed to in imightbewrong's image is the same as that circled by djos, so just a question of whether it's hot air or exhaust? If exhaust, then you'd imagine they are attempting to shove some of it through the starter hole else why keep it so central?

astracrazy

exhausts are in the same place, the sponsor decals have moved to between the suspension arms - not where the exhaust is

in the bottom pic you can see the four bolts? where the exhaust is - it hasn't moved

IMO

ell66

astracrazy wrote:Image

exhausts are in the same place, the sponsor decals have moved to between the suspension arms - not where the exhaust is

in the bottom pic you can see the four bolts? where the exhaust is - it hasn't moved
the exhoust has clearly moved, its not visible in the second picture around the "fur bolts" it's been reported on other sites also.

astracrazy

i guess your right zooming in

in imightbewrong's image just at the bottom on the two LL in BULL is there an opening there or is it a reflection?

Spencifer_Murphy

On second thoughts, I think that "buldge" i was reffering to was actually the forward lower wishbone pickup point.

It looks like maybe they have tried a slightly longer pipe.
Silence is golden when you don't know a good answer.

wesley123

Also notice that on imightbewrong's pic the heatshielding is removed from the lower wishbones, i cannot spot an exhaust exit there nor on the other pic with the moved sponsorship, my guess is that the exhaust exits at the red arrow, right where there is some heat shielding on the diffuser.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

imightbewrong

They clearly want to hide something there at least:

Note the bulge I mentioned in the other pic, it can clearly be seen from above too. Looks like tunnels of heat shielding material. Could they be tunnels to lead the exhausts to the back?

Edit, some pictures:

wrcsti

To me it looks like it is in the same place, rather they changed the cover over it. Notice how the area just behind the lettering has a bulge exactly where the "old" exhaust exited.

Spencifer_Murphy

wrcsti wrote:To me it looks like it is in the same place, rather they changed the cover over it. Notice how the area just behind the lettering has a bulge exactly where the "old" exhaust exited.
That's exactly what I initially thought also, but then some of the photo's posted by others afterwards have made me second guess that theory.

It could well be that Newey and his team have designed a couple of possible exhaust layouts. They tested layout1 yesterday, and today have tested layout2 - essentially he same but with a longer final pipe running further towards the rear.

None of this however means that there is definately anything really special going on in that area.

...That being said, those "tunnels" do look rather curious.
Silence is golden when you don't know a good answer.

ringo

Those panels could be hiding the true exhausts.
The pipes in the side pod could be fake, just as much as the stickers last year.

STR doesn't fall far from redbull with some aspects of the car, and STR does have an exhaust embedded into the floor.

For Sure!!

forty-two

I think that the suggestion that we might be seeing a number of alternate exhaust layouts is probably highly likely. I have a pet suspicion that they're actually holding off before showing a front loaded exhaust as per Renault, but that's for another thread.

I remembered an image from last season of the floor of the Ferrari which showed channels leading all the way through from the bib right to the top deck of the diffusor. Presumably, these channels fed high pressure air into the diffusor in order to accelerate the air coming from under the car. Obviously this in it's 2010 form would not be allowed (no second deck). Could these tunnels be the 2011 incarnation of these channels?

I was thinking, if they had similar channels all the way from the sides of the bib (or indeed somewhere else perhaps above the step plane) to the back of the car at the location seen here, and be accellerated by the exhaust also exiting into the same channel, before finally emerging just above the diffusor at it's extremeties?

Again, perhaps a sketch would help?
The answer to the ultimate question, of life, the Universe and ... Everything?

Just_a_fan

I think this shows a rear positioned exhaust exit just above the diffuser. The lumps on the rear floor of the RB7 in place of the previous exahust ports in the lower rear sidepod lead to these exhasut outlets IMHO.

I don't think RB will run a front exhaust. Newey's his own man and has played with exhaust-driven diffusers for years. Unless the Renault is suddenly significantly faster that the RB7 it won't be worth repackaging the RB7 (and we can see from the tight sidepods how difficult that will be) to get the exhausts to the front.

It certainly won't happen for several weeks anyway. Probably not until a couple of races have happened. Testing won't give a definitive answer as to the Renault's performance - certainly not enough to do a total repackage of the car.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

djos

^^^ that's what I thought when I spotted it only it wasn't Actually joined up directly to the exhaust at that point.
"In downforce we trust"

Raptor22

....or the Red Bull's exhaust exits inside the diffusor..