Red Bull RB7 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Just_a_fan

Re: Red Bull RB7 Renault

Maybe so. But I thought the FIA had tried to ban that...
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

segedunum

Well that was certainly my expectation before the launch - that the exhausts would have disappeared completely and ended up being embedded in the diffuser somewhere. It's been Newey's pet project for some time, and something he was trying to make work at McLaren before he was warned off by Mercedes.

I think this blown floor thing is a bit of a red herring. I'm sure there is something to be had in that area, but you're routing hot air a comparitively long way. Newey tends to be more direct.

imightbewrong

Red Bull RB7: New exhausts system tested, the car sported extended flattened exhausts that legally blow inside the outer section of diffuser
http://twitter.com/#!/ScarbsF1/status/32920680794292224

djos

Just_a_fan wrote:Maybe so. But I thought the FIA had tried to ban that...
They banned holes in the floor to feed double diffusers but they didn't actually ban double diffusers themselves so RBR adding a top deck fed by the exhausts is completely legal. =D>
"In downforce we trust"

Intego

I don't think they added a top deck which would be useless without connection to the real diffusor (or did I misunderstand something?).

I think different exhaust layouts is exactly what they are testing.
a) no EBD
b) blowing starter hole
c) blowing the outside of the diffusor right beside the rear tyres (which is obvious when following the pipes in the last pictures).
"Posts targeted only at expressing favouritism or dislike towards people are treated as spam. They can hence be deleted without notice and could invoke a warning to the poster." f1technical forum rules

univex

Scarbs just updated his blog.

Red Bull RB7 – Open Fronted Exhaust Blown Diffuser

http://scarbsf1.wordpress.com/2011/02/0 ... n-diffuser

segedunum

As far as I know the 'banning' only extended to holes within the floor in a certain area.

I just can't see Red Bull ever doing this front facing exhaust thing.

Raptor22

darn I love being right.

Now expect Ferrari to show their version that incorporates the exhaust into the lower wing endplate, another loop hole since its not part of the diffuser but part of the wing end plate.

imightbewrong

Best one yet:

timbo

Raptor22 wrote:darn I love being right.

Now expect Ferrari to show their version that incorporates the exhaust into the lower wing endplate, another loop hole since its not part of the diffuser but part of the wing end plate.
Why would they arrange central section like they did, if they wanted to blow the outside of diffuser?
IMO they use starter hole already.

muelte

Just_a_fan wrote:Image
Hello everyone!! This is my first post, been long time reading and trying to learn from all of you a bit, and now have decided to join this great site :)

For me that is only a shadow from the rear wing endplate, you can see the shape of the 'darker area' is exacly like the lower place of the endplate, including the slit. You can follow the shadow from the endplate and see it has the same shape, and it even goes up to the beam wing.

And those edges are from the connection of the diffuser to the crash structure. But they are flat against the crash structure, no '3D' there.

I agree that, all combined, it seems a bit like a deck, but watching it closely (at least for me) it is not.

Regards!! (and please excuse my poor English)

gridwalker

I would like to welcome you to the forum with a big "+1" : That looks like a shadow to me too ...

P.S. : Poor English? Rubbish! From what you have written there, you seem to have better written English than a lot of the English people I meet!
"Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine ..."

djos

It does look like a shadow until you right click on the image in FF and select "view image" and zoom to max, then you'll see there is a clearly defined edge to what looks a little like a diffused deck but could be anything.
"In downforce we trust"

muelte

I've done that, and like I said, there is an edge, yes, but it is the edge of the diffuser joining the rear crash structure, but it is a flat join between 2 surfaces. Yes, it is not a straight line due to the shapes but it is flat. I don't know if you get what I mean...

I agree that it seems to be what you say, but for me it is caused by the shadow that makes it look like there is a small 'volume' there.

Richard

They have used a flatish duct fixed to the floor to feed the diffuser. Apperently there is a loophole that allows an exhasut to blow the diffuser from the side. Thats the yellow part illustated below by scarbs. You can see these in teh overhead shot posted by imightbewrong

Scrabs has details... http://scarbsf1.wordpress.com/2011/02/0 ... -diffuser/ =D>