My F1 car - LegendaryM

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
machin

Re: My F1 car - LegendaryM

Tomba wrote:LegendaryM, I don't think this airbox will pass for 2011
50mm wide x 200mm long... looks fine to me.......
COMPETITION CAR ENGINEERING -Home of VIRTUAL STOPWATCH

Sawtooth-spike

From what i have read i agree with Tomba, The size is correct but its to do with the position relative to the diver head thats causes the issue.

Also on the diffuser, the "my starter is that shape" argument failed last year, so i dont think it would work this year.

Love the model thought. I remember trying to do this when i was a student, i could never get passed the front wing.
I believe in the chain of command, Its the chain I use to beat you till you do what i want!!!

Tozza Mazza

On your shark fin, you could blow a small wing towards the back of the fin, just an idea, to reduce drag. Its difficult to explain:

from above:
\--\
--------------------
/--/

Rear wing is to the left of this diagram.

Like that only more (God damn you maker of keyoboards with not enough angles of forward/back slashes!!!)

EDIT: I've just started designing my own car, any advice on what your wheel centre points are in relation to the front of the car? ive got mine 900mm (90cm) and 3900mm (390cm) back respectively? is this about right? I couldn't find ANYTHING in the regs about wheel position, so any clearing up for me would be much appreciated :D

simpleplan

LegendaryM,

Would you be able to send me the model in Solidworks format? I would love to see the modeling technique used on such a project, so I can eventually undertake something like this

If you can do it, my e-mail is skkong001@hotmail.com

Thanks!

Sik

Jack22evans

What software are u you using??

adity198601

hello can you send me the model on aditya198601@rediffmail.com
it will be great to do a cfd analysis using fluent on it
plz send me in solidworks format
thank you very much for your help

Alvin

Hi,
I just want to know that did you use the blender 3D modeler for this design making or any other software?
i mean the name of that software.
Thanks

jordangp

if all of you guys read through the thread you would see the software...

romainltd

LegendaryM,

I'm a french engineer

Would you be able to send me the model in ProENgineer format? I really love formule 1 and i would find a 3d model of a f1 car

If you can do it, my e-mail is romainltd@hotmail.fr

Thank you very much

LegendaryM

Im just working on finishing off some updates then i'll try to upload the entire 3d model (in a proper format not a viewer or a 3d pdf etc) so that people who want to download it can
MRVC: Tolo Racing

LegendaryM

Firstly i'd like to say im happy that some of the ideas on my car have appeared on 2011 cars, ie:
-the blade roll structure on the lotus and the way it links to the cooling outlet at the rear
-the very low gearbox on the williams and the way the suspension is mounted to the car.
-the numerous diffusers with exhaust gases blown through the starter hole

Anyway an update, focusing mainly on the rear of the car:
I have thinned the roll structure at the top 50mm, as this is allowed by the regulations. I have also added a shark fin

I think i have found a loophole which effectively allows me to have more than 2 exhaust outlets. Im am using this to blow the gearbox starter hole aswell as the outside 50mm of the diffuser (like redbull).
Technically the exhaust outlet is at the blue arrow. The exhaust gases (aswell as a miniscule amount of external air) are then split in half and directed to the two outlets (red arrows)
The regulations governing the exhausts are very simple, so open to loopholes
5.6 Exhaust systems :
Engine exhaust systems may incorporate no more than two exits

This picture shows the diffuser and the four places the exhaust gases can come through:
the outer 50mm similar to redbull
the gearbox starter hole
and the central 75mm, 350mm behind the rear wheel centre line.

I am also thinking of a way to add a ddd to the outer 50mm of the diffuser, where the new regulations governing openings in the floor dont apply:

This concerns a possible loophole in article 3:12:6
To help overcome any possible manufacturing problems, and not to permit any design which may
contravene any part of these regulations,
dimensional tolerances are permitted on bodywork situated
between a point lying 330mm behind the front wheel centre line and the rear wheel centre line. A vertical
tolerance of +/- 5mm is permissible across the surfaces lying on the reference and step planes and a
horizontal tolerance of 5mm is permitted when assessing whether a surface is visible from beneath the car.
I am unsure if it will be legal, due to the bolded part, however if it is legal i can have a very efficient opening:

wesley123

Shark fin is illegal as it lays within the section of 330mm until 5mm in front of the rear wheel chenter line. This regulation was added to ban the shark fin in whole.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

LegendaryM

Mine ends 330mm forward of the rear wheel centre line

jordangp

Yeah wesley 123, that's what I have done with my sharkfin aswell. Surely LegendaryM, with the regulation stating no more that 2 exits in the whole exhaust system, your design would have 4? 2 on either side of the car?

LegendaryM

Yeah it does, but technically the red arrows (on the pic with the exhausts) point to ducts and at the blue arrow the exhaust gases are in contact with the external air stream, theres a 3mm gap