My F1 car - LegendaryM

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
jordangp

Re: My F1 car - LegendaryM

oh ok, would it be ok for me to use that sort of idea on my car? Good thinking there.

LegendaryM

yeah of course

EDIT: an exhaust system similar to what ive done was talked about in the RB7 thread, pages 10-11, i only just found it when i was looking for pics of the rb7 diffuser
MRVC: Tolo Racing

Tozza Mazza

That part in the centre above the diffuser is surely is too high, max 175mm above reference plane, it can't be legal surely? Also there is only one hole allowed with area of 3500 mm squared in the centre of the diffuser, you have two, again which must be illegal. Very nice design though, if only it was legal. VIVA DOWNFORCE!

LegendaryM

Tozza Mazza wrote:That part in the centre above the diffuser is surely is too high, max 175mm above reference plane, it can't be legal surely? Also there is only one hole allowed with area of 3500 mm squared in the centre of the diffuser, you have two, again which must be illegal. Very nice design though, if only it was legal. VIVA DOWNFORCE!
Im pretty sure it is legal, as it is in the central 150mm of the diffuser, so it is allowed:
3.10.4 No part of the car between 75mm and 355mm from the car centre line may be more than 350mm behind
the rear wheel centre line.
3.10.5 Any parts of the car less than 75mm from the car centre line and more than 500mm behind the rear wheel
centre line must be situated between 200mm and 400mm above the reference plane.
3.10.6 No part of the car less than 75mm from the car centre line and more than 350mm behind the rear wheel

centre line may be more than 400mm above the reference plane.

It is similar to the Tf109's early season diffuser:

Tozza Mazza

well i guess i can't read then :lol: guess I'm gonna have to scrap my current diffuser, and make a start on diffuser mark IV now, oh well, practice makes perfect. :D

LegendaryM

Quite a Large Update:

A new floor around the rear wheels. I have added cutouts in the floor where they are allowed in the 2011regulations, similar to the RB6 last year to direct air undearneath the rear wheels. Im also now feeding the outer diffuser hole with one of these holes in the floor, which should mean the fast exhaust gases get under the floor sonner, reducing pressure under the floor and increasing downforce. I have also moved the exhaust exit (it is the tiny slit in the bodywork) so it is at most 100mm above the reference plane, so it is legal. I am now 99% confident about the legality of my quadruple exhausts.

I have also tightened up the bodywork in the central region, which should allow better flow of exhaust gases to the gearbox starter hole and the central 150mm hole

I have changed the diffuser so that there is a much more smooth transition from the surfaces joining the reference plane to the surfaces joining the step plane. This should allow more air to be extracted from the step plane

I have completely changed the rear wing, I have managed to bring back diagonal gills which work with the rear wing and I have changed the profile of the second element

I have increased the size of the cooling outlet coming out of the centre of the car, I have also redone the wheel rims so they are copies of saubers

mazur

After quickly skimming the first three pages and the last page, I am completely confused about what is actually trying to be accomplished here.

Are you just creating an arbitrary model in order to just run CFD on it to see what happens? Seems like an awful lot of work is being put into something that will never be built.

wesley123

I keep my point that the shark fin is illegal as it seems to be in forbidden area.

I quote scarbs for this one;
3.9.1 No bodywork situated between 50mm and 330mm forward of the rear wheel centre line may be more than 730mm above the reference plane.
Of course i do not know the sizes of your car, but on the pic it seems like it is illegal.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

LegendaryM

mazur wrote:After quickly skimming the first three pages and the last page, I am completely confused about what is actually trying to be accomplished here.

Are you just creating an arbitrary model in order to just run CFD on it to see what happens? Seems like an awful lot of work is being put into something that will never be built.
Partly because i enjoy it and partly to show off my ideas. I'd love to get CFD done on it but my computer not powerful enough and i update it so fast that the CFD i did get done was completely out of date

LegendaryM

wesley123 wrote:I keep my point that the shark fin is illegal as it seems to be in forbidden area.

I quote scarbs for this one;
3.9.1 No bodywork situated between 50mm and 330mm forward of the rear wheel centre line may be more than 730mm above the reference plane.
Of course i do not know the sizes of your car, but on the pic it seems like it is illegal.

wesley123

thank you for these measurements, I guess the perspective is playing with me lol
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

LegendaryM

A brand new roll structure/airbox, going in a more conventional direction. I did this because with the blade roll structure it had to be really thick, so it negated the benefits. (I also considered a twin blade strucutre, like on prototypes such as the r15) I have tried to have a very large undercut on the airbox and a small frontal area by slimming the air duct going to the engine, and lengthening it. This means i have been able to slim the structure down behind the inlet

I have also added a triangular cutout in the central part of the rear wing, as this area will be less efficient.

I have also updated the front wing. The elements curve into the footplate but they still end forward of the back endplate

LegendaryM

I have made the car available to download in parasolid format here:
http://www.2shared.com/file/Agfg19pD/FEB14.html
I know some people wanted it in pro/e format, so i'll try and upload it in that but im not sure ill be able to.

Also a small update; a new rear wing with a reduced aoa in the centre

elitewolverine

Came to this link as i wanted to copy a older f1 car for design purposes.

Love your progress on the car. Heck i actually registered just to comment on your pictures.

I think some of the design might be excess, but its f1 and they always doing crazy stuff so im up for it.

Hope to see more, i know you were somewhat interested in cfd, but your pc is slow, have you ever thought of online pc farms? the process time is usually really fast and not very expensive.

SEBA_406

Hi, congratulation for the job... it´s awesome!!! do you have the rear wing dimentions. I´m trying to make my onw esign but I don´t know the dimetions of the F1´rear wing.

Thanks!!