Posts with pictures are very wide

Everything about this website and its content. Here you will find update announcements or requests for feedback. Questions about layout, functionality, content, and your suggestions are welcome.
Richard

Posts with pictures are very wide

I've noticed that some posts with pictures seem to be fornatted wider than the screen, even when teh picture is less than screen width.

Examples:

viewtopic.php?p=222585#p222585

viewtopic.php?p=222584#p222584
viewtopic.php?p=222597#p222597

Steven
Owner

Re: Posts with pictures are very wide

No problem here, they look correctly resized.

Which browser are you using?
Can anybody else confirm this as well?

hud
hud

everything seem fine to me.

Firefox 3.6.13 ; Windows 7. no irregularities.
Last edited by hud on 06 Feb 2011, 06:36, edited 1 time in total.
“A vida é muito curta para termos inimigos.” - Ayrton Senna da Silva

Ciro Pabón

Well, it took me some minutes but after trying several browsers and operating systems I finally got it: with IE 8 (actually 8.0.7600.16385) under Windows 7 (Home Premium 64 bits OR Professional 64 bits) the first post mentioned by Richard is wider than the rest. I just tried the first post, because I have a few browsers, I guess it also happens with the others he mentions. Mistery. This is the image:

This very post, after including the previous picture, suffers from the same problem (text is spilled). Look:

Notice that the previous picture (actually, the previous-previous, that is, the first picture in this post) is actually narrower than the width of other posts (I marked the edge of the other posts with a black arrow).

This doesn't happen in Opera (of course! It is master of width, even in handhelds, so... richard, do something!) nor FireFux, Safari, Chrome, Konqueror, Omniweb, Lunascape, Icab or Aweb, nor in IE8 under XP or Vista (I concede I'm emulating those OSs, but that makes it funnier). Why IE always have to be the dorkish brother?
Ciro

Steven
Owner

I can indeed not reproduce it in any of the browsers I have available, not on Windows XP and not on Ubuntu. As I can't see the problem, I'll also be unable to fix it unfortunately...

Perhaps try to enable/disable compatibility mode in IE for this?

Anyway, if any of you find a solution, let me know!

ESPImperium

No problems here and thats using IE9b on Windows 7 and Safarri on Snow Lepord.

Richard

Thanks for the research Ciro.

My work laptop was re-imaged with IE8 and Win7. I used to use Firefox but admin rights are locked down now so I can't install that.

However I do recall Firefox portable runs without the need for installing. I'll have a play with that.

Giblet

View the source and compare it to a browser it works in.

Maybe some cell or DIV padding or something similar that IE is having trouble with?
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

Richard

Aha - that small compatibility button needed to be pressed.

However, all is well with Firefox portable and it doesn't need admin rights.

The IE8 installation has also messed up my post-grad work too. Some university pages need compatibility on, some need it off. Why don't Microsoft understand that a browser should be compatible with a published standard? Who thought it a practical option to expect users to manually click a small "compatibility" button just in case teh laziness of MS coders meant something didn't look right? Stupid. ggrrrrr

Also, the page is much nicer to read in FF. IE8 made it look rather rudimentary, I've noticed the same on other sites too.

Steven
Owner

All hope on IE9, at least for those who cannot switch to something even better ;)

(OT: and on Kubica to get better soon)

Caito

Well, I opened the suggested threads and had the same "problem". It turned out I had the webpage zoomed(ctrl+scroll, ctrl++) because I'm using the tv as a screen at the moment and it's far away.

I'm using Chrome+win7.

The pic was thinner than the screen, but the text was wider.
Come back 747, we miss you!!