F1technical server situation (speed/availability)

Everything about this website and its content. Here you will find update announcements or requests for feedback. Questions about layout, functionality, content, and your suggestions are welcome.
luca

Re: F1technical server situation (speed/availability)

Five minutes ago I got:
SQL ERROR
Lost connection to MySQL server at 'reading initial communication packet'...

andrew
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland - WhiteBlue Country (not the region)

I got this just now:
General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]

Lost connection to MySQL server at 'reading initial communication packet', system error: 111 [2013]

An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.
The site also seemed to die for a while with IE telling me it could not connect to the site.

forty-two

Yup, me too.

Suspect the hosts of F1Tech are perhaps going a bit too marginal on spreading out MySQL between domains!
The answer to the ultimate question, of life, the Universe and ... Everything?

Steven
Owner

24h ago the site was moved to another server again. In fact we're trying out different server settings and configurations to see what would be enough to support f1technical and to try and determine what is the bottleneck.

The last 3 posts above are probably all server restarts to change configuration. I really appreciate the feedback, keep it coming!

12h before my post I experienced slow pages myself, with some taking more than 15s. Don't hesitate to report any further problems, it's very useful!

luca

I have been experiencing the 15-20 seconds delay since today late afternoon.

Steven
Owner

Same here... don't know what do to, it's now running on a package they propose, still slow but much more expensive than previous one...

So, anyone know any good hosting companies?

luca

The speed has been improving for the last 5 minutes.

Some good hostings should be:
http://www.godaddy.com/
http://www.eleven2.com/
http://www.dreamhost.com/

Steven
Owner

All,

I'm sure everybody has noticed that f1technical is rather slow sometimes. That is at the moment because the CPU hits 100% load when there are a few visitors online at the same time. The site will supposedly not go down with this situation, but it will be sluggish until we resolve that matter.

To that purpose, I'm currently investigating possiblities to host our own server. That would lead to reasonable hosting fees once we have that set up correctly. For now I'm looking for a hardware provider, been asking around. Suggestions welcome, as always ;)

Steven

myurr

Tomba wrote:All,

I'm sure everybody has noticed that f1technical is rather slow sometimes. That is at the moment because the CPU hits 100% load when there are a few visitors online at the same time. The site will supposedly not go down with this situation, but it will be sluggish until we resolve that matter.

To that purpose, I'm currently investigating possiblities to host our own server. That would lead to reasonable hosting fees once we have that set up correctly. For now I'm looking for a hardware provider, been asking around. Suggestions welcome, as always ;)

Steven
Do you have a monthly budget in mind? Would help with the recommendations...

Ganxxta

I have some Timeout messages again, if testing is already to heavy for the servers what about first race :?

Steven
Owner

Ganxxta wrote:I have some Timeout messages again, if testing is already to heavy for the servers what about first race :?
There are plans for a server change at the beginning of next week. We'll see how it goes from there, and take further action if required.

In the meantime we're also copying this site to yet another server, and we'll switch you all for a temporary period to that other server and see if that config is an improvement.

Anyway, does anybody know a tool to test high server load (like simulating users)?

flynfrog

Tomba wrote:
Ganxxta wrote:I have some Timeout messages again, if testing is already to heavy for the servers what about first race :?
There are plans for a server change at the beginning of next week. We'll see how it goes from there, and take further action if required.

In the meantime we're also copying this site to yet another server, and we'll switch you all for a temporary period to that other server and see if that config is an improvement.

Anyway, does anybody know a tool to test high server load (like simulating users)?
piss off 4chan :lol:

Congrats on the upgrade Tomba its amazing how much this site grows each year.

andrew
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland - WhiteBlue Country (not the region)

Just got this error 3 times since logging on a few minutes ago. Clicking refresh gets rid of the message and everything seems to carry on as normal.

wesley123

Got the similair error, only a few parts seemed to be missing from the page, Development and Technology didnt load
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Caito

Got the MySQL error a couple of time already. Also the front page looked incomplete. I don't know if it's on purpose, to reduce traffic.

Image Image

Thank you for all your hard work
Come back 747, we miss you!!