2011Testing-Barcelona-Circuit de Catalunya- 8th - 12th March

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Byronrhys

Re: Testing-Barcelona-Circuit de Catalunya- 8th - 12th March

Will they really push there tyres to a 1:19 in qualifying then to be eaten by cars with more life in there tyres in the race?

MrBlacky

I don't think they can run in the 1.19s

JohnsonsEvilTwin

becool70 wrote:I say this as the clear indicator was the Sauber doing 1m 21secs yesterday, the top teams have to be in the 1min 19's on race day here...
Sorry but a Sauber doing 1:21.750 does not mean a Red Bull can do 1:19.

Sauber could have been running underweight...they did this 12 months ago....
More could have been done.
David Purley

siskue2005

becool70 wrote:I say this as the clear indicator was the Sauber doing 1m 21secs yesterday, the top teams have to be in the 1min 19's on race day here...
From Ferrari: "The best performance of the morning came from Michael Schumacher who did an impressive 1.21.268."

Ferrari calling that lap impressive mean its either that they can match it or they could only come closer to it.
They wont call it impressive if they can do 1.19!

godlameroso

last year Webber just cracked 1:19.995 to get on pole, I doubt any car can do that this year.
Saishū kōnā

Alexgtt

Mmm, interesting. So you guys think they're pretty much running at real potential pace today with the shorter runs? Would you say mid 1.20's is qualy pace with the super softs then? If so and if Sauber aren't pulling a fast one again, they look genuinely quick as do Mercedes.

Very worrying for McLaren. Can someone confirm if they got out again today after the engine change?

volarchico

autosport says:
15:25 Button finally heads out of the pits

Ferraripilot

Alexgtt wrote:Mmm, interesting. So you guys think they're pretty much running at real potential pace today with the shorter runs? Would you say mid 1.20's is qualy pace with the super softs then? If so and if Sauber aren't pulling a fast one again, they look genuinely quick as do Mercedes.

Very worrying for McLaren. Can someone confirm if they got out again today after the engine change?

Someone correct me on this, but do we think teams are going to be running supersofts at all for qualy this year? If they do, I can see lap times possibly being close to Webber's 1.19.995 pole last year. Other than that I can't see how they will be within half a second.

raymondu999

becool70 wrote:
raymondu999 wrote:Worried? You sound pretty smug, and sound like Merc are the "bad guys

did I say that? I am not taking that bait buddy.. u post whatever u waant but don't call me "smug" not nice :wtf:
Ok, I apologize, but I wasn't baiting. What I meant was, you said "I wouldn't be worried" by Merc's pace. A slightly more neutral stance when posting wouldn't hurt
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

JohnsonsEvilTwin

We dont know what Sauber were doing yesterday. Kobayashi couldnt get within 0.5 seconds of that time, so an underweight C30 is what methinks.

Ferrari looked good again and very consistant allied with a very good one lap pace. early season contenders for sure.

Red Bull didnt do that much running today, but its clearly evident this team is quick and very consistant and are definatly the one to beat come Oz.

Renault did some qualy style laps but didnt get very impressive times. Their consitancy is ok, but maybe they are carrying more fuel to mask their perfomance a bit. All will be certain come Oz.

Mclaren are in some difficulty. Less running than any of their main rivals, it seems their design may actually give them relaibility headaches to match the speed woes. Luckily, no homologation for 2011 so Mclaren have the means to turn it around fairly quickly.

Mercedes looked very good today, fast lap times allied to some consistent mid to high fuel load times. Not Red Bull beaters, but very different from this time last year. Progress at Mercedes! It will be interesting to hear Mr Gary Andersons verdict on the car he called a heap not 2 weeks ago. :wink:
More could have been done.
David Purley

Ferraripilot

So what's going to be the deal with supersofts anyone. Pirelli said everyone was testing the softs and hards this week as that is pretty much what they will be running. SO we will not see supersofts again for a while? Or will it be like a qualy tire only. That won't make much sense though

ringo

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:We dont know what Sauber were doing yesterday. Kobayashi couldnt get within 0.5 seconds of that time, so an underweight C30 is what methinks.

Ferrari looked good again and very consistant allied with a very good one lap pace. early season contenders for sure.

Red Bull didnt do that much running today, but its clearly evident this team is quick and very consistant and are definatly the one to beat come Oz.

Renault did some qualy style laps but didnt get very impressive times. Their consitancy is ok, but maybe they are carrying more fuel to mask their perfomance a bit. All will be certain come Oz.

Mclaren are in some difficulty. Less running than any of their main rivals, it seems their design may actually give them relaibility headaches to match the speed woes. Luckily, no homologation for 2011 so Mclaren have the means to turn it around fairly quickly.

Mercedes looked very good today, fast lap times allied to some consistent mid to high fuel load times. Not Red Bull beaters, but very different from this time last year. Progress at Mercedes! It will be interesting to hear Mr Gary Andersons verdict on the car he called a heap not 2 weeks ago. :wink:
Yeah mercedes are in better shape.
Where is the regs on the tub homologation?
I don't think mcalren have to design a new tub, away from moving the side impact structures. It would be good if they could change.

Are mercedes ahead of Torro Rosso ?
For Sure!!

Ferraripilot

http://f1tests.mine.nu/2011_1.php?rev=on

Substantially ahead of TR :p

Mclaren wouldn't have to homologate a new tub but rather just move away from their current sidepods given the existing crash structure can accept. If they have the change the crash structure than I believe it must be homologated.

ringo

The crash structure would be exposed to the air if they stay, so they have to move them upwards if they are to change to a normal side pod.
For Sure!!

nacho

Red Bull ran out of softs, the reason for the slower times today.