2011Testing-Barcelona-Circuit de Catalunya- 8th - 12th March

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Lurk

Re: Testing-Barcelona-Circuit de Catalunya- 8th - 12th March

Kovalainen long stints are impressive. He ran 20 laps in less than 1.32 without any drop.
It is 1s/lap slower than Williams but Kova's runs were a way longer.

Could it be the only car to do a race with only 2 stops?

ESPImperium

If it is the only car to do 2 stops, it could be the car that wins both championships.

The T128 looks fragile, but maybes it is easier on the Pirellis than other cars, and this means might be able to go slower on average by a second a lap, but this might mean that the car requires less pit stops. Team Lotus have taken a leap forward compaired to Hispania and Marussia Virgin.

vall

today was probably the last dry day. It is time to make a comparison of the race simulations. Anybody seen an article, or post in a forum?

JohnsonsEvilTwin

nacho wrote:Red Bull ran out of softs, the reason for the slower times today.
I think The Red Bull will easilt do 1:21.250 but the question is, how much faster?
I dont think we are lookin at anthing more than 0.8 seconds faster than the Mercedes time.
More could have been done.
David Purley

Ferraripilot

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:
nacho wrote:Red Bull ran out of softs, the reason for the slower times today.
I think The Red Bull will easilt do 1:21.250 but the question is, how much faster?
I dont think we are lookin at anthing more than 0.8 seconds faster than the Mercedes time.

Softs are 1-1.5 seconds quicker. Red Bull could get within where Alonso was but not where Schu was today. Schu really set a scorcher.

nacho

Does anyone have straightline speeds?

JohnsonsEvilTwin

@FerrariPilot

Im an Uber Benz fan, and there is no way the Benz is quicker than the Red Bull.
David Purley

MrBlacky

Dumb question:

Why is everyone so sure that RB is much more faster than Mercedes (or likely everyone else)?

Byronrhys

MrBlacky wrote:Dumb question:

Why is everyone so sure that RB is much more faster than Mercedes (or likely everyone else)?
The vibe I get from everyone on the forum is that even with the slower Pirelli's, lack of DDD the RB7 is faster then the RB6 and I believe so, the RB5 did a 1:20.007 without the DDD I think, not sure. Will have to see how the tyres react though.

Ferraripilot

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:@FerrariPilot

Im an Uber Benz fan, and there is no way the Benz is quicker than the Red Bull.

I'm just quoting what the drivers are saying about the tires. 1-1.5 difference from hard to soft. Vettel said he was impressed with Schu's time. Who knows what Red Bull is capable of or what fuel load they were running on Vettel's short runs today. Regardless, the Pirelli's tack on a second to whatever we know to be a fast lap time on a track in recent years. Thus meaning RB6 would have been running 1:21s had it been on Pirelli's last year as their qualy lap of 1:19.995 is just not comprehensible with these tires. I want to be realistic so someone slap me if I sound batty.

becool70

Whatever happends guys we will be in for a great session, I do hope MSC is back up there and fighting!! CAN'T WAIT!!

becool70

From the BBC WEB:
Schumacher recorded a lap of one minute 21.268 seconds at the end of Friday morning's test session in Spain.
Team principal Ross Brawn admitted the German legend had set his lap on a "low-fuel, soft-tyre run" but added that it was "quite encouraging".
"We've definitely moved forward," Brawn told BBC Sport. "Whether it's enough we won't know until Melbourne.
"I don't believe one or two of the other teams have shown their full hand yet but it's certainly a lot more respectable."
He said the specification of the car when it set that time was "fairly representative of qualifying but we can go further".
Rosberg, who took over from Schumacher later in the day, finished third fastest and half a second off his team-mate's top time.

LionKing

I think MS did his time on a 6 lap stint. So with super softs and a 2 lap run he would have probably gone even quicker. That is very encouraging for Mercedes....

marcush.

autosport states it was on a 1lap stint.. but according to the scoring tables that was a 21.4 lap.. and the 21.2 was a 5lapstint..anyways they look good.

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Anyone see what happened to my favourite Swede? :lol:

Mercedes have had a jump relative to themselves. A huge jump in fact. But I see Red Bull having more prowess in terms of outright speed and tyre management.
We shouldnt forget Sauber did a 1:21.7 on thursday.

That in itself means Im keeping my expectations fully in check until Quali 1 in Oz.
David Purley