The pro nuclear bias of F1technical

Everything about this website and its content. Here you will find update announcements or requests for feedback. Questions about layout, functionality, content, and your suggestions are welcome.
WhiteBlue

The pro nuclear bias of F1technical

It has become obvious since yesterday that the site tolerates the high jacking of threads as long as they are generally pro nuclear. The thread about the BMW megacity car was perverted by nuclear lovers and nobody cared about it for almost a year.

Lately I have made the effort to collect some figures on wind power and nuclear investment and suddenly after just three days the thread which was in "automotive news" is in "off topic chat". The obvious difference is that it will not appear on the front page summary.

I think that the moderators are not acting fair and equitably. Pro nuclear activists are given a free hand to express their views for almost a year and the thread URL is proudly presented on the front page. The minimum that could be done is separating the thread into the original issue and a nuclear issue.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

Richard

Re: The pro nuclear bias of F1technical

Wind and nuclear power belong in off topic, not automotive news.

Have you reported the BMW thread as being off topic?

In my book, accusations of moderator bias on this forum probably means the poster needs to get some fresh air
Last edited by Richard on 23 Mar 2011, 14:05, edited 2 times in total.

marcush.

pro nuke seems to be the engineers standpoint per definition :?

CMSMJ1

This is a strange thread WB?

Perhaps the bias is because technical people do not often get swayed by emotive subjects and when push comes to shove - the numbers say Nuclear power is the way to go.

Regardless of it being lethal, expensive and so on. It works, very well.

Wind power, well that is for namby pamby lefties isn't it? Perhaps some soup and a ride in a 2CV to see the baby seals might help assuage their guilt at also needing power??*

(* post in jest, of course, as I am sure that this is not a serious thread..is it??)
IMPERATOR REX ANGLORUM

Pup
Pup

WB is complaining that a thread he started himself which asks "Is nuclear the way to go?" in it's title is 'highjacked' when the discussion focuses on nuclear power.

A thread which was revived from the graveyard by his own post slagging nuclear power.

And the thread getting moved after it was supposedly highjacked by 'pro-nuclear activists' is an indication of the moderators' bias in favor of nuclear energy.

Rich. And I thought autog was the three-year-old.

WB - if nothing else, you have remained a constant source of entertainment for me. I applaud your work. :?

Giblet

Wow WB, maybe if someone reported the thread, we would take action? Maybe a PM about your thoughts?

I generally don't read the threads that are wholly off topic like this one until we get a report.

I could care less if people are pro or anti nuke. Bear in mind I closed the thread the first time as it was getting out of hand and people were not being sensible. It was a big attack on one users ideals.

Myself, I want to read about F1 cars and think threads like that should be abolished as if spam, but that is not a popular opinion to those involved in the threads.

What you fail to understand WB, is that OT threads are no big deal. They are off topic, and we as mods are not expected to moderate a thread about Paris Hilton's dog. Or nuclear energy. It's off topic.

The BMW Megacity electric thread has been a nuke thread for ages, but people were being adults, as no accident had happened yet and it was all speculation. The one that got closed was in the Japanese Earthquake thread, and was doing no service to the site or the people of Japan.

Now you have decided to air your dirty laundry in a thread instead of coming to us like an adult.

Please use the report function, or send a PM instead. I can tell you with 100% certainty, the mods could care less about a nuclear argument, so long as it doesn't get personal like the Japan thread did.

You need to step back farther as when you are too close you are seeing patterns about nuke threads, in reality they are off topic, and treated as such.

I think, Whiteblue, that you and others need to understand, that off topic is off topic. Why would you ever expect a topic like to be treated with great care and respect on an F1 forum?

In order of importance:

1 - Talk about the cars and their technical aspects
2 - Other F1 stuff, teams drivers etc.
3 - Other racing series
4 - Off topic chat.

If you really love talking nuclear with F1 fans, I fear this might not be the proper forum to air your thoughts and figures about Paris Hilton's dog.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

Ciro Pabón

I was a tad confused this morning when I tried to find an answer to what I wrote yesterday and I couldn't find the thread. I guess we were carried away. However, pro-nuclear?

For the first time since I am not a mod I am writing to mods, asking them to erase this very thread.
Last edited by Ciro Pabón on 23 Mar 2011, 16:24, edited 1 time in total.
Ciro

WhiteBlue

I have no problem with nuke threads being off topic if the moderators had been executing that policy consistently.

I have opened the thread on the megacity electric car and it got swamped with pro nuclear opinion from the first page. I can easily prove that by quotations.

viewtopic.php?p=165225#p165225

When I complained about the off topic content moderators changed the title to make it a nuclear thread. How is that for a balanced treatment?
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

Giblet

This is a lot of work WB. It's in fact enough work that we take threads one by one. There isn't a chart we refer to, there is no tally.

An off topic thread carries little importance here. BMW Megacity car? Off topic. it's not F1. How much work as mods should we put into topics that have nothing to do with F1?

What do you want me to do? It's an off topic thread hijacked by off topic conversation.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

andrew
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland - WhiteBlue Country (not the region)

Giblet wrote:This is a lot of work WB. It's in fact enough work that we take threads one by one.
I can easily understand that! Maybe you could temporarily make WB a mod for a few days to show them how much work being a mod entails?

mep

Guys we see trouble like this coming up more and more. I was just complaining in PM’s about the mods closing the Japanese earthquake topic and the one about the Eccelstone book. I think its time that we discuss this in public and agree on a solution.
Closing a topic should always bee the last option to choose. Ideally it should never happen. At the moment for the mods it’s just the easiest and fastest way to solve a issue.
Giblet wrote: 1 - Talk about the cars and their technical aspects
2 - Other F1 stuff, teams drivers etc.
3 - Other racing series
4 - Off topic chat.
Interesting ranking btw.

I would rather go for this ranking
1 - Talk about the cars and their technical aspects
2 - Technical aspects of other racing series
3 - Other F1 stuff, teams drivers etc.
4 - Off topic chat.

Technical aspects should definitely be higher ranked than driver sh!t chat.
Driver and team topics will always attract the fanatics to this place and spoil it for the others.

Richard

WB - rename the original thread to "nuclear power", start a new thread about the BMW car in the automtive news section, end of problem

WhiteBlue

Ciro Pabón wrote:...
Richard, I made the change in title, from BMW city to BMW city AND is nuclear the way to go, many months ago, when this thread was three or four pages long and I was a mod. Back then, the BMW thing was still an important part of the thread. Now it isn't...
Ciro just confirmed that I initially launched the thread under discussion in the "Automotive news" forum which incidentally is displayed on the front page. The following praises of nuclear energy were also advertised on the front page for 11 months. And this is the core of my complaint.

My off topic complaints were not heard and the nuke fans had their bon fire of propaganda for a long time. The least the moderators could do is sorting the nuclear issue out from my thread and put it back to where it belongs.

xpensive

marcush. wrote:pro nuke seems to be the engineers standpoint per definition :?
Good Lord marcush, I had almost given up on you after our clash on Nick Wirth, but this was the best one-liner since when!

=D>
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

Ciro Pabón

WhiteBlue wrote:When I complained about the off topic content moderators changed the title to make it a nuclear thread. How is that for a balanced treatment?
Well, I did that and back then you didn't complain about the solution, as far as I can remember. It has existed peacefully and in the wrong forum for months.

You have been using this very thread for ages for the purpose of discussing nuclear energy and, now, to argue about the pros and cons of nuclear vs wind power.

How can you complain about it, beats me, as you have been the main promoter of it. I was very entertained by the discussion and followed every time I came here.

Now, if you're asking for front page relevance for nuclear power, sorry. It is offtopic. The fact that stayed there (and for some time after Fukushima, while you stated your opinions contrary to nuclear power) was a coincidence and you know it.
WhiteBlue wrote:Ciro just confirmed that I initially launched the thread under discussion in the "Automotive news" forum which incidentally is displayed on the front page. The following praises of nuclear energy were also advertised on the front page for 11 months.
Frankly, I fail to see how you could start a thread on nuclear power and bin it in the automotive forum. It's existence there was a relic. I actually haven't noticed that Off Topic threads were not displayed in the main page, as far as I know, that's relatively new and if I'm not mistakne, it happened after the thread was started.

Believing that this was made to impede you from stating your opinions on nuclear power is a tad paranoid. The fact is that we have been ranting for several pages, haven't we? (me included). Someone noticed and the thread was moved to Off Topic, where it belongs.

Or is it your position that a thread on nuclear energy belongs to the Automotive forum?

I repeat, this very thread should be erased. The forum is not the place to complain about mod actions. That's what PMs are for. We have to have some faith in their impartiality to enjoy the site, haven't we?
Last edited by Ciro Pabón on 23 Mar 2011, 16:47, edited 3 times in total.
Ciro