My F1 car - LegendaryM

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
machin

Re: My F1 car - LegendaryM

LegendaryM wrote: the fia would have to be in a good mood, if you know what i mean
You mean 'Paid to turn a blind eye'????!!! :wink:

I suspect your flexi front wing would appear once in practice and then fall foul of this rule:-
FIA RULES wrote:3.17.8
In order to ensure that the requirements of Article 3.15 are respected, the FIA reserves the right to introduce further load/deflection tests on any part of the bodywork which appears to be (or is suspected of) moving whilst the car is in motion.
...i.e the FIA would re-word the rules slightly or simply add another test... but again; I like your lateral thinking!
COMPETITION CAR ENGINEERING -Home of VIRTUAL STOPWATCH

LegendaryM

machin wrote:
LegendaryM wrote: the fia would have to be in a good mood, if you know what i mean
You mean 'Paid to turn a blind eye'????!!! :wink:

I suspect your flexi front wing would appear once in practice and then fall foul of this rule:-
FIA RULES wrote:3.17.8
In order to ensure that the requirements of Article 3.15 are respected, the FIA reserves the right to introduce further load/deflection tests on any part of the bodywork which appears to be (or is suspected of) moving whilst the car is in motion.
...i.e the FIA would re-word the rules slightly or simply add another test... but again; I like your lateral thinking!
This would go against the precedent set with Red Bull
MRVC: Tolo Racing

machin

I'm sure something will be done about RedBull.....

ringo

the section holding up the blue part is illegal.
Read the regulations on the number of sections allowed in that area. There should only be 1 standard section in the middle 250mm.

This wing has 2.

You have no choice but to connect the blue one on the red one to support it. And in that case it will only be as stiff as the main support for the red wing.

Nice try though, the interpretation was pretty cunning.
For Sure!!

LegendaryM

ringo wrote:
the section holding up the blue part is illegal.
Read the regulations on the number of sections allowed in that area. There should only be 1 standard section in the middle 250mm.

This wing has 2.

You have no choice but to connect the blue one on the red one to support it. And in that case it will only be as stiff as the main support for the red wing.

Nice try though, the interpretation was pretty cunning.
It's a camera housing, so it doesnt count :)
1.4 Bodywork :
All entirely sprung parts of the car in contact with the external air stream, except cameras, camera
housings
and the parts definitely associated with the mechanical functioning of the engine, transmission
and running gear. Airboxes, radiators and engine exhausts are considered to be part of the bodywork.

machin

Who supplies the camera housing and how strong/stiff are they? Do they have mounting points on both sides?.....

horse

machin wrote:Who supplies the camera housing and how strong/stiff are they? Do they have mounting points on both sides?.....
No the casings only have mountings on one side. Their design is available in the technical regulations appendix.

Glue?
"Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words." - Chuang Tzu

Caito

If we check the Appendix to the rules
http://www.fia.com/EN-GB/SPORT/REGULATI ... nship.aspx

In the end there's all te drawing etc for all the cameras. Hope it helps.

Source:http://www.fia.com/EN-GB/SPORT/REGULATI ... nship.aspx
Come back 747, we miss you!!

machin

That's quite a useful document isn't it? Some good drawings at the back!! when I did my model (viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7917&start=75) I just used the text! ](*,)

I think that settles it then... the camera housing is a supplied part and I doubt will be designed to take any significant loads....

LegendaryM

it could be reinforced as only parts of the car in contact with the external air are considered bodywork. (1.4)

Edit: i also think i could achieve the same effect without camera housings, but i think it is possible with camera housings, just difficult

LegendaryM

Revised flexi front wing:
again, the blue part undergoes the load test, allowing the red part to flex. I have changed it so the blue part now connects to the inner part of the front wing (grey) which also doesnt flex

Also, a double deck diffuser, fed by the gearbox starter hole. I can't show you it with the rest of the car because it goes with the new sidepods and rear bodywork im designing.
Last edited by LegendaryM on 10 Apr 2011, 19:26, edited 1 time in total.

wesley123

I cant understand your flexi front wing. What i understand how it works is this;
The blue part undergoes the test, but it lays on, but is not connected to, the end plate of the red wing. But then the force applied to the blue wing will still be transmitted to the red wing still flexing it.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

LegendaryM

wesley123 wrote:I cant understand your flexi front wing. What i understand how it works is this;
The blue part undergoes the test, but it lays on, but is not connected to, the end plate of the red wing. But then the force applied to the blue wing will still be transmitted to the red wing still flexing it.
the blue part is not touching the red part

machin

Revised flexi front wing:
Now this I like! =D>

It seems to meet the rules as I read them... one of the smaller teams should do this... even if the FIA subsequently changed the load test rule for the next race it would still be worth it!

ringo

still in breach. :wink:

1 standard section in the middle 250mm. This is another section.
For Sure!!