What would you add to F1technical?

Everything about this website and its content. Here you will find update announcements or requests for feedback. Questions about layout, functionality, content, and your suggestions are welcome.
forty-two

Re: What would you add to F1technical?

myurr wrote:
forty-two wrote:I would be very interested in an F1Technical Forum "App" which would allow me to read and post to the forum on my mobile without needing to use a web-browser to do it. I guess this would be tricky, not least because there are at least four competing o/s's for smartphones at the moment (Android, Blackberry, Iphone and Windows) so I image that even if such an application were easy to produce for one model, it would be hard to support all.

Just my tuppence!

Alternatively, some form of twitter feed which reflects the forum would be good, but of course that would be tricky, not least because most forum posts are significantly longer than Twitter allows in a single tweet, and they often contain many images.
The easiest way of achieving this would be to produce a mobile skin for the main web pages and then embed those in an app. I'd be happy to write the Android version.

Writing a full app would allow for many more interesting features, plus things like live chat feeds during races and practice sessions, but would be much more involved to develop and would require an API in order to play nice with the website. I'd still be happy to be involved with all that, but it would be a big job and would be best with several contributors.
Wow, well I would be very pleased to help with development, but alas there are two important problems...

1. I don't have an Android Smartphone (it doesn't support RSAP profile, so no good for my carphone! I have WM6 and Blackberry)
2. The last serious bit of coding I did was about ten (ok nearer to 20!) years ago, mostly in Pascal, but a touch of C++. The only work I've done lately has been in Visual Basic.

I would however be VERY happy to do some Alpha/Beta testing. That's actually a large part of my job, so I am (I think) pretty good at it.

As far as I know, development on WM6.0-6.5 is pretty easy, but WP7 is a bit of a pig, not least because no low level IP stack access is presented to the dev. Blackberry however is a mystery to me!
The answer to the ultimate question, of life, the Universe and ... Everything?

Caito

I know C/C++ if anybody needs a hand with that.
Come back 747, we miss you!!

forty-two

I have never played with the C IDE contained in visual studio, but I am pretty sure that it's similar to regular C.

Certainly with Visual Basic, you can simply decide to compile to PPC and I have a feeling that the same is true with Visual C, so in theory at least, writing such an App for Windoze Mobile should be pretty easy??

It never ceases to amaze me the amount of good will and help availble on this forum!
The answer to the ultimate question, of life, the Universe and ... Everything?

manchild

andrew wrote:You mean clicking on a users name and the click on "Search user's posts"?

'Cos they already have that. :lol:
No.

I mean, when I log in, I'd like to be able to click on button that would show me links to post I've made last time I was logged in, or let's say in the previous 24hrs. No searching, that takes time and increases traffic.

andrew
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland - WhiteBlue Country (not the region)

In that case do you mean when you log in you go to Forum then click "View your posts"?

manchild

andrew wrote:In that case do you mean when you log in you go to Forum then click "View your posts"?
Yes, something like that.

andrew

Well it already exists. See red circle.

myurr

That function doesn't actually work in quite the same way. I believe it lists threads in order of most recent activity regardless of when you last posted in them.

What manchild was asking for was something that lists his most recent posts. This is something I'd like as well so that I can quickly catch up on threads that I was interested in rather than having to try and remember which threads I was having conversations in. View your posts as it currently stands seems a bit hit and miss in this regard as you can often have threads you've finished with pushed to the top of the list by other posters and activity.

andrew

Can't say I've ever had that problem but maybe it is browser specific?

manchild

myurr wrote:That function doesn't actually work in quite the same way. I believe it lists threads in order of most recent activity regardless of when you last posted in them.

What manchild was asking for was something that lists his most recent posts. This is something I'd like as well so that I can quickly catch up on threads that I was interested in rather than having to try and remember which threads I was having conversations in. View your posts as it currently stands seems a bit hit and miss in this regard as you can often have threads you've finished with pushed to the top of the list by other posters and activity.
Exactly, current function doesn't take me to my most recent posts, but to topics I've participated in, ranked not by my activity but on other members activity. My post might be pages away, or I might not be interested in topic listed on top just because other people made new posts.

The order of list should be not by thread activity, but by user activity, and linking directly to users last post so he can catch up with conversation.

manchild

Another suggestion - a popup when member's post is quoted with a link to it, regardless on when the post was written. For example, someone might quote post weeks, months or years old, sometimes in a form of question, so it would be useful that member can be informed about quotation of his post.

mx_tifoso

And along those lines, how about an embedded link within the quote? Kind of like this:
http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showpost ... tcount=161

I was also going to suggest having the date/time in the quote, but the embedded link takes care of that.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

marekk

Embedded sketch editor will be nice. If possible, with few views of F1 car to begin with.

Pup
Pup

I ran across this today...

http://www.tapatalk.com/

The app gets good reviews on iTunes. The plugin for the BB is free, and it looks like it would make access via phone or iPad a lot simpler.

Formula None

Just curious, why is font size/color/boldness alterable if the mods prefer it not to be done?

Seriously why is this an option?

:?:

Good for secret messages I suppose.