Chinese GP 2011 - Shanghai

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
i70q7m7ghw

Re: Chinese GP 2011 - Shanghai

If Vettel leads the race from Turn 1 he will most likely win it. McLaren need to work on qualifying to lock out the front row, this way they can control the race. Vettel is very good at winning from the front, but I think he would struggle playing the attack role.

PlatinumZealot

Hamilton only needs a clear shot from turn 1 to dispatch Vettel. So pole would be nice but not necessary. Of course, as long as Mclaren gives him fast pitstop and the right tyres this time too.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Tamburello

Well he's had two shots and it's 2-nil to Vettel! lol

raymondu999

Btw, just a slight side note, but is your username inspired by the Imola curve? Isn't there a Tamburello curve in old Imola?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Tamburello

Yes, it is.

volarchico

n smikle wrote:Hamilton only needs a clear shot from turn 1 to dispatch Vettel. So pole would be nice but not necessary. Of course, as long as Mclaren gives him fast pitstop and the right tyres this time too.
But if Renault are within the top 6, watch for them overtaking everyone on the start! If their performance off the line keeps up the way it has, the other teams are going to need to do something a little more drastic to defend (without changing direction multiple times)!

raymondu999

I was thinking. If people use exhaust overruns to provide additional downforce, wouldn't it be possible to already run it at the start, and so have downforce despite not having air go through the car?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

CyleB

volarchico wrote:
n smikle wrote:Hamilton only needs a clear shot from turn 1 to dispatch Vettel. So pole would be nice but not necessary. Of course, as long as Mclaren gives him fast pitstop and the right tyres this time too.
But if Renault are within the top 6, watch for them overtaking everyone on the start! If their performance off the line keeps up the way it has, the other teams are going to need to do something a little more drastic to defend (without changing direction multiple times)!
those Renault do appear to be shot from a cannon at the start, lets just hope none of them try to "fly" past anyone
Look mama I'm going fast- Ricky Bobby

bomz_za

raymondu999 wrote:I was thinking. If people use exhaust overruns to provide additional downforce, wouldn't it be possible to already run it at the start, and so have downforce despite not having air go through the car?
Could be the reason Renault has such effective pull-off?

Mandrake

Downforce becomes effective above 100kph, so at the start where cars are running full throttle anyways no overrun is used. Overrun is used when the engine is off power, which shouldn't be the case at the start of the race ;)

Mechanical grip + sensitive throttle control is key to a good start. Not downforce!

sink

Could it be possible to use a bit later ignition? It would give you less power but more exhaust.

nipo

bomz_za wrote:
raymondu999 wrote:I was thinking. If people use exhaust overruns to provide additional downforce, wouldn't it be possible to already run it at the start, and so have downforce despite not having air go through the car?
Could be the reason Renault has such effective pull-off?
I don't have numbers / technical proof but I am just thinking that the exhaust airflow wouldn't have achieved a significant portion of the effect when the car is at speed...

Also Renault if I remember right has a record of doing good starts. Most notable was the up-and-coming team back in 2003/04 (the cyan-yellow outfit). They've always made very good starts back then. Of course this ain't proof that the FEE doesn't have a part to play in the starts, just pointing out some facts.

marcush.

still there is exhaust energy of a 800HP engine at full song available at the start.
this just has to have a pronounced effect at low speeds.

marekk

We discussed this scenario on viewtopic.php?f=6&t=9784.
My (very basic and aproximate) calculation of RB7 type solution is +300N of downforce for stationary car.
R31 does not produce significant amount of downforce when stationary, but as soon as the car moves, renault's FFE system seems to be very effective in low/medium speeds, and combined with traditionally good renault traction they have really good starts.
In both races Nick and Vitaly gained few places at the start.

bomz_za

Last year's winner Button.