Chinese GP 2011 - Shanghai

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
raymondu999

Re: Chinese GP 2011 - Shanghai

When they set a DRS activation zone, could the drivers just keep pressing the DRS button BEFORE the zone, then have it snap open (saving a hundredth/tenth/whatever) as soon as they reach the activation zone?
Also, is there an "end" to the activation zone? so, let's say (numbers exaggerated for scenario purposes)
Let's say, a Hispania has a 150m braking zone for Turn 14, while a Red Bull has a 120 meter braking zone. Does this mean that Red Bull would have a longer DRS zone, as they can keep the DRS on for longer?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

PlatinumZealot

I didn't get to see the Renault Front exhausts dry the track in Malaysia. Lets hope that we get some rain in China.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

SiLo

Re: Qualifying showdown - China 2011

I wanted to separate it as stuff always gets lost in those threads, although so far I have one constructive post, and two parrots.
Felipe Baby!

beelsebob

n smikle wrote:I didn't get to see the Renault Front exhausts dry the track in Malaysia. Lets hope that we get some rain in China.
lol, awesome.

While I agree on the speculation about a renault dark horse (earlier in the thread), I don't think renault have the measure of RBR. My bet for the podium:

1. Hamilton
2. Button
3. Vettel

I'm not sure about those top two though – looking at the hash Hamilton made of his tyres in Malaysia, he may get screwed again. Having said that, I don't think Macca will make the same mistake and let him cook his hards in qualifying.

kalinka

I don't want to do such precise predictions, it's just one thing that's crossed my mind about China race : If any of the cars manage to lead the first lap ahead of any of the RBR's then it'll be a disaster for them regarding the race win. Even if they manage to jump over a car during first pitstop, I don't think they could win without that crucial getaway first stint.

donskar

marcush. wrote:the Bulls are not any quicker than Macs in absolute speed which is really cool and surprising news.
But again we will see a LotusRenault spoil this party ...
No RedBull win this weekend and maybe not even a podium.Heidfeld is my dark horse (realistically he will come home second only..)

1Heidfeld
2Hamilton
3Button
Would be happy to see you right, but I doubt it.
Newey's fertile mind + more reliable KERS + increasingly confident Vettel = no RB on the podium?!

Heck, I hope for an Alonso win, but I don't expect it!

And there is no reason to assume that RB (and others) has NO updates for China: one could have been in readiness before the season even started.
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

beelsebob

donskar wrote:
marcush. wrote:the Bulls are not any quicker than Macs in absolute speed which is really cool and surprising news.
But again we will see a LotusRenault spoil this party ...
No RedBull win this weekend and maybe not even a podium.Heidfeld is my dark horse (realistically he will come home second only..)

1Heidfeld
2Hamilton
3Button
Would be happy to see you right, but I doubt it.
Newey's fertile mind + more reliable KERS + increasingly confident Vettel = no RB on the podium?!
RBR have already said they won't run KERS at China.

PlatinumZealot

I think they are decieving the other teams. RedBull have enough pace to make ANY strategy work. So I won't be surprised if Pitstop jumping gets them the win if they somehow manage not to get a front row start.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

ajdavison2

marcush. wrote:RBR have already said they won't run KERS at China.
Source? I was under the impression that they would continue to run it until they sorted their reliability?

forty-two

Re: Qualifying showdown - China 2011

I think it depends more than a little bit on the weather. If we get heavy rain during quali, it could upset the apple cart, but I still wouldn't know who to put my money on to be honest. If Red bull can get their KEBS (Kinetic Energy Boost system, since they might be using start only KERS which doesn't recover any energy?).

Red Bull have got to be favourites though I expect, with McLaren a close second.
The answer to the ultimate question, of life, the Universe and ... Everything?

GTO

Is DRS limited to only one straight? For such tracks as Sepang, Shanghai & perhaps others that have 2 long straights, why don't they utilize DRS on both straights to create even further passing opportunity?

CHT
CHT

GTO wrote:Is DRS limited to only one straight? For such tracks as Sepang, Shanghai & perhaps others that have 2 long straights, why don't they utilize DRS on both straights to create even further passing opportunity?
I would think that having 2 DRS on both straights will cancel out one another.

CyleB

22.5 hrs woooooo... does anyone else get as excited as i do???
Look mama I'm going fast- Ricky Bobby

mx_tifoso

I'm so excited that I'm going to skip the live race and just watch the rebroadcast 12 hours later! :lol:
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

CyleB

thats exciting i work nights in the U.S so i really dont have anything else to do i even watch practices
Look mama I'm going fast- Ricky Bobby