Toyota TF104

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Irvingthien

Toyota TF104

The new Toyota looks like last year's car, no changes to their aerodynamic despite they hired Mike Gascoyne. Wonder why.The engine cover comes to an end in a perpendicular sort of way, can anybody explain to me the advantages of this strange design?

elf
elf

There are quite a few differences in the chassis - u need to take a closer look. The airbox shape reflects the new regs (min. area) and thus tapers perpendicularly from the horzontal, ala sauber & williams, in order to optimise clean airflow to the rear.

akbar21881

the car looks very different actually. the sidepod shape is totally different,plus the flip at the front of the rear wheel is different as well.The nose is more curved downward,and the monocoque near the sidepod intake is profiled,like f2002-f2003.

They still keep the single keel though.

I wonder about one thing.The rear wing endplates are longer,about 10cm as shown in f1live.com,but why the wing element is placed at the old place that it was before,i.e,from the the leading edge of endplates, while near the trailing edge of the endplates,there are nothing there.maybe its just the launch item,i don't know.

Steven
Owner

I thought that these end plates are only larger because of new regulations, that allow for more publicity area. I think that does not change the length of the car, from tip to end (in which I mean the last 10cm of the RWEP aren't included)

not sure though, don't have the time to look that up, sorry

West

Well

Looks like the FW25 if u ask me...

http://f1.racing-live.com/en/headlines/ ... 2428.shtml

Ok... last year's car looked like the F2002... this year's car looks like the FW25 (IMO)... which is coming from a Renault man (Gascoyne). Now they just need something from McLaren next year, which I heard is most likely David Coulthard.[/img]
Bring back wider rear wings, V10s, and tobacco advertisements

drspeed

The car in general closely resembles it's predecessor, especially it's monocoque that almost looks the same. It's ceratinly a conservative car, but less so than the level of conservatism in the first two F1 Toyotas. Compared to those, I can see that the team is pushing slightly further.

Unlike last years car that closely resembled Ferrari's F2002, the TF104 looks almost like the TF103 revised to comply with the new aero rules. A few changes that stand out is that it follow's Williams' solution of aerodynamics under the body, for example, the turning vanes with a single suspension mount, horizontal planes in front of side pods and the diffuser. Weirdly though, the upper part of the car still smells Italian... As the season progress, I'm expecting the car to become mroe 'Renault'

One thing that really struck me aside from the car are the new Bridgestones.
Check out the camber angle of the front wheels! They're pretty extreme, possibly under -3 degrees. Last year's tires were also designed for pretty steep angles compared to Michelins, but if you remember those used on Ferraris, the contact patches were rounded. If you see those on the new Toyota, they are not; flat like the Michelins. IMO the camber is so extreme that the THE OUTER EDGE OF THE TIRE IS HIGHER THAN THE INNER EDGE. It's a very interesting interpretation of last year's 'illegal' Michelins because it provides maximum contact with the surface while retaining BS's usually steep camber (not possible with normal tires with flat contact patches accompanied with high pressure). Theoretically, this could make the car less stable at higher speeds, and the difference between tire wear around the contact patch will be magnified compared to last years BS and Michelins, but it should yield better handling as well. A good combination for Montecarlo, but whether it would suit elsewhere, we should see... 8)

BTW the new regs concerning more sponsor exposure is making the new cars look fat. The airbox looks like they're atleast 3 years old...
-Challenging is more exciting than defending-

SpeedTech

Actually this years TF104 is an EVOLUTION of last years car....considering they just got Mike Cascoyne onboard. I don't think he had much input on this years car so I'm guessing most of Cascoyne's work will be on next years car.
Haven't had a chance to look at the launch photos yet, though here is some information on the evolution of the TF104.

1. TF104 front wing and end plate have been evolved from the TF103
2. TF103 had big barge board until 2003 German GP, replaced by double guide turning vanes
3. Similar ones on the TF104, combined with new horizontal fins in front of the side pods
4. Shorter side pods to improve aero efficiency with bodywork further away from the front axle
5. Longer and thinner fuel tank
6. TF104 keeps the same style exit for hot air introduced on TF103 at Silverstone 2003
7-8 Different winglet evolution of the ones introduced on TF103B intermediary car
9. To improve aero efficiency and rear visibility the chimneys have been moved backwards and inwards
10. On TF103, the hot air was originally coming out on top in front of the rear tyres. On TF104, the shape at the back of the car is deeper to improve the airflow to the rear wing. All mechanical components are reduced in size and weight.
11. Due to new rules, end plates are 10cm bigger with the wing profiles at the same overhang to the rear axle (50 cm)

Timstr
Timstr

One thing that really struck me aside from the car are the new Bridgestones.
drspeed Toyota is and has always been running on Michelins :D

drspeed

Riigghhhhtttttttt............. Completely forgot that one.

Well anyway they are very different from last year's Michelins. I suppose it's them picking up BS's steep camber design then. Are other Michelin runners like Mclaren and Williams using this setup?
-Challenging is more exciting than defending-

For me what is significant on TF04 is its all-new Titanium gearbox!! Furthermore the engine has ACTUALLY reduced in size(as photos of the RVX-04 could confirm!!) inspite of the new rules. If their claims that their engine produces around 900bhp @19,000rpm is true that would be a truely fantastic job done by Toyota, on paper at least. As far as the chassis is concerned the jury is still out there...

Aradea

RVX-04 Pics ??

Where did U get The engine pics ?? Please tell me.. I Want to see it

West

Heh

It's probably good that Toyota took the aerodynamic concepts from Williams. They are still a young team... and having used the F2002 as a base for the TF103... they can analyze and compare both cars and come up w/ an even better car for 2005, considering their budget.
Bring back wider rear wings, V10s, and tobacco advertisements