Chinese GP 2011 - Shanghai

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
marcush.

Re: Chinese GP 2011 - Shanghai

so for those who did not get my joke (sorry german humour..):
It is rather obvious that rake is not repsonsible for the wing heights we see on the RedBull.
It´s impossible.You just cannot explain it with this ,tyre squash and what ever will not help as you would crush the tray.
And i think the thing is clear and obvious now that wing flex is a fact at least for 2011.
The reason for the extreme rake of the RB7 is to be found somewhere else methinks.

komninosm

andrew wrote:
komninosm wrote:
forty-two wrote:I am surprised that JB's "Pitlane Incident" has not been discussed more, especially after the RBR mechanic guy said he thought they were "deliberately cheating". What's anyone else's take on the matter?
Me too. I think it's because people don't hate Button (like they do Hamilton or Vettel) and it was such a monumental brain fart they feel sorry for the guy. What did Button say about it? Was he asked by reporters? That would be a fun statement.
I don't think it is that at all. Believe me, plenty people dislike Button on some other sites. Me, I can take him or leave him.

There was no harm done so no foul. Button was the one who lost out in the pitstop as he was the only one that lost any time.

The embarrasment alone and the probable michael extraction currently taking place within McLaren is punishment enough.

Besides, I don't think any of the other drivers who have done this have been punished have they?
People may not like Button and say bad things about his speed (slow), but they don't dislike/hate him like some do Schumacher/Hamilton/Vettel/Alonso. At least I've never seen much hate directed at him.
Button lost, but one could argue Vettel lost 1-2 seconds too, and this race was really close at the end and could have been closer. I recall people here getting in hate mode over a McLaren driver stopping at (outside) a competitor's pit-garage to pull out a refuel nozzle 2 years ago. So don't tell me if it wasn't Button we wouldn't have some people here getting angrier.

PS: What is a "michael extraction"? :wtf:

Pup
Pup

komninosm wrote:What is a "michael extraction"? :wtf:
Sounds painful.

I understand that there are michael extractions underway at both Mercedes and Williams, but I don't know about McLaren. :lol:

andrew
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland - WhiteBlue Country (not the region)

komninosm wrote:What is a "michael extraction"? :wtf:
It is a polite way of saying taking the p**s or taking the mickey.

djos

Tumbarello wrote:
Poleman wrote:
Nice photo kakogohrena. =D> Will fit nicely as my new desktop. :mrgreen:

Also,finally a pic where the RB7 is next to the Macca in the same angle .Look at the front wing flex compared to the MP4-26.With naked eye appears to be like 2-3cm.
Is it 'flex' or a function of the car's rake angle?
It looks like rake to me, the back end is clearly higher than anyone elses!
"In downforce we trust"

archiebald

Vettel's start was clearly shown in a replay during the race and was commented on by Brundle. You can clearly hear how he bogged the start immediately off the line - maybe his fault or the engine map / clutch setting but zero to do with KERS.

Tamburello

marcush. wrote:so for those who did not get my joke (sorry german humour..):
It is rather obvious that rake is not repsonsible for the wing heights we see on the RedBull.
It´s impossible.You just cannot explain it with this ,tyre squash and what ever will not help as you would crush the tray.
And i think the thing is clear and obvious now that wing flex is a fact at least for 2011.
The reason for the extreme rake of the RB7 is to be found somewhere else methinks.
It might be obvious to you but it isn't to me, so mind explaining why rake cannot be a factor in how low the FW is.

Mandrake

marcush wrote: .....eyes are not meant to be seeing differnces...so you cannot judge from picture evidence if there is a difference in wing height.....
I've shortened your quote to not blow up the thread anymore Marcus.

If you compare (with your eyes only) the height of the central front wing section, where the pillars are, it is considerably lower on the RedBull than on the McLaren. ---> The same goes for the endplates. The relation between central section and outer parts "appears" to be comparable at both cars. So either the whole nose must be flexing down massively, or it is indeed just the rake angle getting that FW lower.....

On the race topic: I've watched a replay of the race and still cannot find out why RedBull chose to stay on the 2-stopper......their race performance was no where near mind blowing compared to McLaren and MGP/Ferrari. After they had passed Button for the lead and had a gap of arounf 5 secs, it would just have been so easy to cover both of the McLarens (They cannot tell me they believed the MGP to win this one....) Even with a set of used soft tires he'd still have been better off than with the hards.

But I guess they've learned their lesson by now ^^
Last edited by Mandrake on 20 Apr 2011, 10:41, edited 1 time in total.

raymondu999

Last year we saw them cockup tyre strategy as well tho - in Canada. Then after that something seemed to click and they got good strategies on the dot.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Twaddle

Tumbarello wrote:
marcush. wrote:so for those who did not get my joke (sorry german humour..):
It might be obvious to you but it isn't to me, so mind explaining why rake cannot be a factor in how low the FW is.
It would be better to discuss this in the flexi wing thread, but hopefully this stuff will get moved over there by a kindly mod at some point.

It's not that is has no effect on the FW height, it's just that the amount that the front wing is lowered is only a fraction of the amount that the rear is raised. This is due to the pivot point being set at the front of the tea-tray, which is much closer to the front of the car than it is to the rear. Personally I think that the RB front wing height is likely a result of many different things that all provide a small contribution; the rake angle being one of them.

Richard

Couple of pointers:

1) Mods are not telepathic, report posts so they know that something needs to be moved.

2) This has all be discussed before but I'll post some reminders over in the proper flexible wings thread ... :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=9629&view=unread#unread

Richard

The FIA PDFs have now been added to the 2011 Race Data thread

:arrow: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=9815&p=245479#p245479

FrukostScones

Before the race Red Bull and Ferrari wanted the FIA to punish McLaren for breaking the Parc Fermee rules when Hamilton rushed to the starting grid with missing body panels. But apparently everthing was legal.

source: AutoMotorUndSport magazine
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

raymondu999

that's an interesting point. Does anyone know the parc ferme rules regarding work done during that period?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Goran2812

all they did was drain the tank from the excess fuel they put into it...
what are ferrari and red bull blabbering about?! LOL
He put the car on the starting grid inside the time limit and that's it... jeeeez...
Visit my photo page! -> http://www.gorankphoto.com/formula1