Forum posts voting system

Everything about this website and its content. Here you will find update announcements or requests for feedback. Questions about layout, functionality, content, and your suggestions are welcome.
andrew
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland - WhiteBlue Country (not the region)

Re: What would you add to F1technical?

Go to crash.net and tell me it is a good ida. Nothing more than a popularity contest.

manchild

A button, which would open links to members's post made on previous login, or the previous day, something like that. It is difficult to track what was written afterwards, also opening multiple pages or using search only increases traffic on f1t and takes time from the user.

If this can be done, it would be beneficial for both members and f1t.

andrew

You mean clicking on a users name and the click on "Search user's posts"?

'Cos they already have that. :lol:

Ciro Pabón

I would like a button to make all posts smart and interesting, all women beautiful and also interesting and all men wise and inconspicuous.

I would also like a button that makes Alonso WDC.

Finally, I would like a button that creates annoying posts.

Ooops. I found it, it already exists. Let's push it and let's see what happens.
Ciro

Steven
Owner

Guys,

the voting system on posts will come sometime this season, it's much requested and supported by mods as well ;)
At the moment I'm quite busy rewriting the gallery. It puts too much strain on the server as it is right now, so something needs to be done urgently.

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Tomba wrote:Guys,

the voting system on posts will come sometime this season, it's much requested and supported by mods as well ;)
Great news! =D>
More could have been done.
David Purley

andrew

JET - do you not remember this on your old stomping ground? It was a joke and a popularity contest that crapped all over factual comments!

JohnsonsEvilTwin

andrew wrote:JET - do you not remember this on your old stomping ground? It was a joke and a popularity contest that crapped all over factual comments!
I remember certain member's getting a specific amount of "agrees" regardless of their posts, and also that my posts usually had more "disagrees" than "agrees" until they cut the amount of agrees a user could use per post :lol:

But I think it will be good as the standard of poster on this site is way beyond that of the one you speak.
And inevitably, highly rated posts will be easier to find. Good on all counts IMO
David Purley

andrew

I'm not convinced and will certainly steer clear of this function.

JohnsonsEvilTwin

andrew wrote:I'm not convinced and will certainly steer clear of this function.
No you wont! :twisted:
David Purley

andrew

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:
andrew wrote:I'm not convinced and will certainly steer clear of this function.
No you wont! :twisted:
Go to crash.net and see what happens. Certain posters write facts which morons disagree (thumbs down) and it just makes the threads look like a shambles.

What is the official reasoning behind this feature?

Jeffsvilleusa

It sounds like the wheels are in motion, but for what it's worth- If I could, I would push 'disagree' on the post proposing an 'agree/disagree' button. :D

Truth isn't decided democratically, ideas should stand or fall on their own merit. What we have now on the forum is people explaining their agreements or disagreements in subsequent posts, which does devolve sometimes, but on the other hand it leads to enlightening dialogue, what I suppose is the objective of the forum.

As a compromise (which for all I know is what is being implemented) how about just an 'agree' button, or like the facebook 'like' button, without the possibility to 'disagree.' As my brother put it, 'more wag, less bark.'
Box! Box!

Hangaku

Jeffsvilleusa wrote:It sounds like the wheels are in motion, but for what it's worth- If I could, I would push 'disagree' on the post proposing an 'agree/disagree' button. :D

Truth isn't decided democratically, ideas should stand or fall on their own merit. What we have now on the forum is people explaining their agreements or disagreements in subsequent posts, which does devolve sometimes, but on the other hand it leads to enlightening dialogue, what I suppose is the objective of the forum.

As a compromise (which for all I know is what is being implemented) how about just an 'agree' button, or like the facebook 'like' button, without the possibility to 'disagree.' As my brother put it, 'more wag, less bark.'
This is a better idea. It's in our nature (on these forums) to disagree with certain things, but disagreement doesn't mean the thread or post should be marked down.

Some people write some really compelling things, which are well written and provide lots of really useful information, but ultimately that I might not agree with. Doesn't mean it's a bad post / thread!

The threads should be up-voted based on how interesting they are, rather than how agreeable they are.
Yer.

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Yes, in agreement with Jeff and Hangaku on this one.

It would save alot of my posts that I would usually start off by saying "+1" too.
Just click agree and job done.

If you must disagree, then simply post the reason why you would disagree rather than click with no explanation. Can the mods let us know either way?
David Purley

Caito

Only thumbs up is probably better, as nobody can get offended by getting lots of thumbs down.

It's key to understand, I believe, that the thumbs up is an agree/like. Which doesn't mean right or wrong. Or the best, probably something worth reading.
Come back 747, we miss you!!