Jaguar R5

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Irvingthien

Jaguar R5

Finnally a new paint job for years. Looks like R4, and the side pods, man.... they gotta put more effort into it, looks huge. And it needs a larger Redbull logo, their logos makes every car looks good.

akbar21881

It looks like a repainted old car.How come the problem Mark Webber discovered will only be solved mid-season? Seems like no effort at all to solve it.How much budget does Ford gave to them? Same as Minardi?

SpeedTech

This problem they are having with not fixing it till mid season sounds stupid :x
I'm a huge FORD supporter (due to owning one),how can they not afford to fix the problem. Just sounds unproffesional to come up with an excuse like that :x

Steven
Owner

well I am not sure why, but the problem is quite substantial.
not sure who said it, I think it was Purnell. He also added that at Ferrari they would be able to solve it in a matter of weeks, but that they don't have the possibility to do that at Jaguar.
He didn't mention however what it was exactly

Note the sidepods slope down more, you can draw about a straight line from front to rear wheels following the upper side of the sidepod
would perfectly fit
The part in front of the rear wheels actually resembles very much the MP4/17D, before during mid season

EDIT: Before last week I was optimistic about Jag's chances, but now I think they will do worse than last year. First there is that problem, and then today the car stalled during its maiden laps.. not a good sign if you ask me

Steven
Owner

Does anyone know what the bulge on the nosecone is for?

Timstr
Timstr

It's a camera. In another foto you can see they have turned it around to face thr driver. They are shooting promotional video's.

supertec

Well I must say the car looks amazing.. I know it hasn't changed that much but the new livery is good for a change and no more gold wheels i have also noticed. I was scrolling through the launch and first run pics and saw the one with mark webber just standing beside the R5 getting a tow.. poor guy I hope Jaguar put a good show on this year but as many have said replying to this post.. i beleive it may be another year that jaguar needs to think about if they want to be competetive in 2005.

joseff

All of the above = Webber to Williams for '05. Yay!

elf
elf

lol - that would be be my wish coming true - webbo going to williams and showing mr grumpy (ralf) a thing or two about driving. Also I'd like to see a young gun (ie alonso), to push shumi senior as a team-mate, instead of rubhino. Oh well - just wishful thinking.

Ok my two-cents about the R5. Its seems that the front face of the sidepods are the least curved out of the (released) contenders thus far. Comparing images with the 2003 car shows, particularly in plan view, that the sidepods are more box-like this year. What gives?

Also the keel seems to be larger (more bulbous).

West

Jaguar did say they weren't going to battle the top 3 this year...

The car looks nicer... the sea of green was really ugly, so the extended HSBC logo is a welcome change.

Forget about the huge rear wing endplate and engine cowling tho.
Bring back wider rear wings, V10s, and tobacco advertisements

walter

About the sidepods... They are so boxy beause they are not so much in direct frontal area of the car as with the other's released contenders.
The giant barge board does most of this job as it directs the air directly in front of the radiator air-inlet to the outside of the sidepod. The radiator air inlet gets most of its air from the underside of the nose... a design which Jaguar is trying to copy from the MP4-18 and the MP4-19.
And then theres that problam that Jaguar ran into and now cant fix untill half-way through the season... what a shame for a car that wears the Jaguar badge, I cant believe that Ford is going to let this happen.

Irvingthien

Hi, me again can anybody explain to me what is the thing between the winglet and the flip up in front of the wheel on the sidepods? McLaren used in on their mp4-17 and 17d while renault used it on their R23 during the early part of the season. I once saw the inside of that thing on a picture of the Mp4-17 and inside it is some kind of filter fabric..or somehing.

Steven
Owner

AS far as my knowloedge goes, this uis just an air oulet, an alternative to the chimneys introduced a while back by McLaren, and now in use by Williams

elf
elf

About those boxy sidepods.... even though dirty air is by and large deflected by the oversize bargeboards, the vertcal faces on the bottom left and bottom right of the air inlets will create drag. Air flow around this region has been optimised, inter alia, via curvature (ie the sauber/ferrari undercut) and reduction in size of the front faces of sidepods (ie williams [low] & mclaren [high & narrow]). I can't wait to see remaining (those who are yet to release) teams' solutions to this particular area.

Steven
Owner

If that doesn't confirm what I was afraid for... :

'We're working in a low-risk, conventional fashion,' he said, 'and that stability has given us a chance to push really hard to make it an improvement.' Rather than stab in the dark on new innovations, then, Agathangelou - for the first time in his tenure - could 'refine and evolve' the Formula One car.

Team boss Tony Purnell is sure that R5 is quicker than the old racer. 'But I'm really very worried that maybe we make half a second and everyone else makes up one second,' he said. 'That will make us tail-end Charlies.'