Renault R24

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Irvingthien

Renault R24

News everywhere says that Renault will test their '04 challenger for next week.Is it going to be another private testing that doesn't allow photographs or it will be publicly testing it?

rodlamas

It will be shaken down and afertwards tested in Barcelona, together with most of the teams expect for Mclaren that would test in private at Valencia. So we´ll be able to see those first pictures.
"I only race to finisht first, because the second is the first looser" Ayrton Senna

Irvingthien

Wow, the car looks great, the nose is more slopped than last years, same wavy wing designs as Mac's and Will's design, ferrari GA sidepods, new engine..wonder what the lap time is?

elf
elf

wow check out 'dem curves... it is truly an elegant design.

Monstrobolaxa

Fantastic new car...and look at the back of the car.....so compact ;)

rodlamas

This look set for being a great machine.... The michelin tyres proved to fit the R23 very well and it´ll be no different in the R24. The problem is: As it´s been said the whole engine has only been running in the dyno for only a pair of weeks, in absolute contrary to Mercedes and BMW that fired their engines before the beginning of august.

With the new rule, I expect Renault to suffer a bit in the first few races because of this engine problem, enhanced by the fact that they had to change concept and builded an engine that is based on the 2000 Supertec V10 @72º engine.

But this is just speculation...... We´ll only know when we get to Melbourne.

Cheers from Brasil,

Rodrigo Lamas
"I only race to finisht first, because the second is the first looser" Ayrton Senna

hit_guy

HI

One of the beautiful looking cars of the ones that I have come out.Man it looks stunning

SpeedTech

Looks very nice on the track 8)

akbar21881

fantastic!!!! especially from sidepods and backwards.the rear end is super low especially if you view from the side,its like there is no substance at all at the rear!!!It looks even more impressive than new Mclaren and Williams.I'm hoping for a big thing from Renault now :D

bernif2003

Hi friends!
Today this car was testing at circuit de Calalunya, and I have had the oportunity to see it on track. I think that the new R24 has been driven only by Jarno Trulli. Alonso drove the old R23.
The new sidepots are very similar, or inspired, to the Ferrari F2003 ones.

Steven
Owner

hehe look what I noticed ;)
shark grills to cool the engine:

wonderful car idd, actually it looks very italian, nice rounded lines, bulges and stuff, really nice. Also happy to see more yellow on that car!! I love it

I should also note the engine immediately exploded on its first outing, don't really know after how many laps, but I will certainly not be enough to complete a race-weekend :cry:

uzael

All these flip ups are making me crazy. Eventually F1 cars will look like carbon-fiber porcupines.
"I'll bring us through this. As always. I'll carry you - kicking and screaming - and in the end you'll thank me. "

akbar21881

uzael wrote:All these flip ups are making me crazy. Eventually F1 cars will look like carbon-fiber porcupines.
:D :D
Not so long time ago,in place of flip ups,there was a bodywork that channel hot air out as well as controlling the airflow to the rear wing and rear tyres.

As technology progressed,those bodywork is replaced by flip up.Its just a matter of time before other part of bodywork will eventually will be a past history.I guess the next target would be sidepods and nose.

Why? Because the sidepod size is more influenced by cooling and nose by aero as well as crash regulation.As the composites technology reach its next level,the nosecone will be different.About the sidepods,we have observed how slim it has become in recent years and its just a matter of technology that one day it will be small enough to satisfy aero,crash and cooling requirements efficiently.

I don't care though if the car looks like a carbon fibre porcupines,as long it is a bloody fast porcupines even if it will require the driver to wear a fighter jet suit to survive the extreme g forces in acceleration and centrifugal forces while cornering!!!!

SpeedTech

That's if you can fit a procupine into a flight suit :wink: :lol:

West

I notice they have that weird wing design that ALMOST looks like a mobile aero device. The yellow front wing endplates are ugly, in terms of color, tho.

But who cares, if it's fast, it's fast. And fast sells.
Bring back wider rear wings, V10s, and tobacco advertisements