Monaco GP 2011 - Monte Carlo

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
andrew
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland - WhiteBlue Country (not the region)

Monaco GP 2011 - Monte Carlo

Circuit information
Length: 3.34km
Race distance: 78 laps / 260.520km

Full throttle: 42%
Top speed: 286kph
Longest flat-out section: 8s / 510m
Right/left-hand turns: 12/7

Tyre wear: Medium
Brake wear: High
Downforce level: Very high
Gear changes per lap: 54

Tyres

2010 tyre compounds: medium (prime, no marking), super-soft (option, green markings)
2009 tyre compounds: soft (prime, no marking), super-soft (option, green markings)
2008 tyre compounds: soft (prime, no marking), super-soft (option, white markings)

Fuel use per lap: 1.723kg (source: Williams)
Pit lane time loss: 17.8s

2010 Race Result

raymondu999

Re: Monaco GP 2011 - Monte Carlo

Should be interesting. I think Barcelona is still a "normal" racetrack; while difficult to overtake on; it's still a "standard" and purpose built racetrack. I think Monaco will be quite interesting with how tyre strategies pan out, and whether Monaco becomes actually overtake-y. I don't think DRS will do much here though; other than help bunch the cars together. Which tbh was more of what it did today.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Just_a_fan

I'm not hopeful that Monaco will produce excitement from the racing because it's basically a circuit where the guy in to the first corner first wins. Tyre strategy might throw up the odd surprise but as overtaking is all but impossible, anyone who gets put back behind a midfield car after a pitstop is buggered.

Still think Monaco should be dropped from the championship. We lose real circuits to the new tracks and yet this boring anachronism continues...
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Poleman

Just_a_fan wrote: Still think Monaco should be dropped from the championship. We lose real circuits to the new tracks and yet this boring anachronism continues...
Drop Monaco and bring back Imola/Magny-Cours/A1 Ring/Hockenheim, either of those will do.

Just_a_fan

Gets my vote - especially Imola which I used to like. One of my favs to play back in the early days of GP racing games on the PC (Grand Prix http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Formula_On ... ideo_game))

rfs

Just_a_fan wrote:
Still think Monaco should be dropped from the championship. We lose real circuits to the new tracks and yet this boring anachronism continues...
Personally I like Monaco for the immense driving challenge it offers. I know its more like a karting circuit than a proper car racing track, but I love seeing the drivers threading the needle around here on a qualifying lap.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjIpbXZydNo[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZqhDcTERRw[/youtube]

Just_a_fan

As a driver challenge, yes, it's great. Nice to see the cars flying through Swimming Pool for example.

As a race circuit, it's hopeless and is only there because so many of those involved live in the place and because back room deals get done there etc.

Have it as a show, if we must, but not as a serious part of the championship at the expense of circuits on which racing can occur.

rfs

You mean make it a non-championship race?

raymondu999

tbh I didn't quite like Button's lap there; nothing personal; but I love seeing the drivers throw in massive amounts of steering lock to get the right driving line for a certain corner; but his is too smooth. I usually like seeing his silky smooth movements of the wheel; but not in Monaco :P
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Just_a_fan

rfs wrote:You mean make it a non-championship race?
If it must remain on the calendar then yes, why not. Then the little teams can miss it if they wish and the big boys can go and show off for the sponsors etc.

ajdavison2

Just_a_fan wrote:
rfs wrote:You mean make it a non-championship race?
If it must remain on the calendar then yes, why not. Then the little teams can miss it if they wish and the big boys can go and show off for the sponsors etc.
I don't think any of the teams would risk damaging the cars or causing them any wear if there was nothing at stake haha

andrew
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland - WhiteBlue Country (not the region)

Poleman wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote: Still think Monaco should be dropped from the championship. We lose real circuits to the new tracks and yet this boring anachronism continues...
Drop Monaco and bring back Imola/Magny-Cours/A1 Ring/Hockenheim, either of those will do.
Agreed. This race is not for the regular fans, but is just a big party for sponsors.

I always tend to think that most (if not all) the spectators on the balconies and yachts are there to be seen and not to see an F1 race.

Morteza

I thought I was the only one who thought Monaco is boring! I am proved to be wrong in this case :mrgreen:
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

PlatinumZealot

It's not going to be boring this year! DRS and KERS the tyres... softs and super softs..
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Morteza

n smikle wrote:It's not going to be boring this year! DRS and KERS the tyres... softs and super softs..
But isn't a Red Bull with a German in it going to be on pole and win the race again?
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare