Aldo Costa steps down as Ferrari technical director

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Lorenzo_Bandini

Aldo Costa steps down as Ferrari technical director

Ferrari's technical director Aldo Costa has relinquished his position as the team's technical director on the back of a disappointing start to the season, the Maranello squad announced on Tuesday.

Ferrari said Costa, who had been appointed technical director at the end of 2007, will "take on new responsibilities within the company".

The Italian squad also confirmed a new structure for the technical department, with Pat Fry becoming the director of the chassis side.

Production will be in the hands of Corrado Lanzone, while Luca Marmorini continues to be in charge of engine and electronics.

All of them will report directly to team principal Stefano Domenicali.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/91694
Dyer last year, Costa this year, who's next ?

I hope Tombazis will stay.

xpensive

Re: Aldo Costa steps down as Ferrari technical director

This must surely be a management solution as he was already deputy, Fry has little xperience of chassis design, he's basicly a race enginer as he was with both Benetton and McLaren. Enter Rory Byrne as a one-off for the 2012 car perhaps?
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

beelsebob

Did he resign, or was he resigned – I'm guessing the latter as punishment for both cars being lapped.

Gerhard Berger

Byrne will not return, and Ferrari have to look for something long term anyway.

Costa had the benefit of working with Byrne for a very long time, but going from deputy chief designer to technical director was a fairly big step. He's clearly fallen short. This years car and 2009s car are/were way off the pace. 2010 was a decent car, but considering they shelved 2009 to focus on 2010, it should've been closer to the Red Bull.

Lorenzo_Bandini

Rumour: Ferrari could have signed to a major McLaren engineer whose name has not transpired, he could not begin until 2012.

http://twitter.com/#!/joseluisf1

# F1 Rumor. Fairly reliable source says, "SAM MICHAEL almost certainly go to # FERRARI as new technical head ..."

http://twitter.com/#!/Clausell_F1

ringo

beelsebob wrote:Did he resign, or was he resigned – I'm guessing the latter as punishment for both cars being lapped.
I thought the very same thing. When last was a ferrari lapped by a Mclaren whithout any mishaps, but by going full tilt with their #1 driver?

This car was supposed to make up for the last 2 years.
For Sure!!

andrew
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland - WhiteBlue Country (not the region)

Bit of a knee-jerk reaction I think if he was give the boot.
Last edited by andrew on 24 May 2011, 19:31, edited 1 time in total.

Rob01

It was said that Santander was very upset at the race results.

Richard

Interesting times for Domenicali.

He'd have to be super human to direct the tech development on top of his normal job. He'll need a design team with a strong sense of purpose and a trusted lieutenant to ensure things keep moving forward. Otherwise he'll be sucked into the TD role to the detriment of his proper job.

donskar

No surprise. But who steps in? (I don't think anyone on the team currently is ready to step up.)

I hope the Sam Michael rumor is NOT true. His career has not been distinguished. Is anyone available immediately? (Rory Byrne?) And what does this do to the design of the 2012 car, already in the design phase?

In addition to Newey, Ferrari made overtures off-season to the Scuderia Toro Rosso designer, whose name escapes me at the moment (Ascanelli?).
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

Pandamasque

AFAIK, Byrne is currently working on the next halo car project, the successor of Enzo (the car that is).

andrew
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland - WhiteBlue Country (not the region)

Changes confirmed here.

xpensive

donskar wrote: ...
I hope the Sam Michael rumor is NOT true. His career has not been distinguished. Is anyone available immediately? (Rory Byrne?) And what does this do to the design of the 2012 car, already in the design phase?
Although Sam Michael is a mechanical engineer, I believe his design xperiences i rather limited.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

WhiteBlue

Where are the moderators when we need them? Clearly sacking the technical director cannot be called a crisis. Nothing is wrong at Ferrrari and they are surely going to win the 2011 WCC and WDC, or so I was told when I pointed to the problem months ago.

:lol:
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

ringo

andrew wrote:Bit of a knee-jerk reaction I think if he was give the boot.
He was relocated. I think they know he still has some use.
For Sure!!