How to improve race threads?

Everything about this website and its content. Here you will find update announcements or requests for feedback. Questions about layout, functionality, content, and your suggestions are welcome.
andrew
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland - WhiteBlue Country (not the region)

How to improve race threads?

I wonder if it is possible to put a time limit on the race threads of, say, 3 days after the race then the thread expires and is locked unless something really relevant is to be added and a moderator approves it.

Might stop the thread from wandering off course and getting bogged down in fanboy ying-yang due to the time limit meaning that posts have to be about something, rather than school ground "my Dad will kick your Dad's ass" only instead of "Dad" it is driver.

Just a thought.

andartop

Re: Canadian GP 2011 - Circuit Gilles Villeneuve

Could be simpler. We only need someone who knows programming to write an algorithm that will automatically remove all posts from each poster that repeat what he or she has already posted..

Alternatively we could try the opposite. Write a bot that will copy/paste automatically (from any random thread) the usual Beavis & Butthead-isms to pre-empty any attempt to ruin every single thread:

- Lewis is crap, he can't drive, he crashed again and took X out of the race.
- No, you're crap, it was clearly X's fault.
- No, here's a video.
- No, see the line is going right/left and he has already 5 wheels off the track and his front wing up X's arse.
- No, you're blind and your driver is a jerk, the stewards are biased and the Pope is racist, Lewis is Senna'a reincarnation, his piss turns into wine.
- Vettel can't overtake.
- Schumi and Alonso are cheaters.
- Button is gay.
- No, you're gay, it's Ferrari's fault.
- No, it's not.
- Yes, it is.
- No.
- Yes.
- Ok, but Lewis is black.
- So?
- Nothing.
- Leave me alone.
- F1 is dead.
- No, you're dead.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. H.P.Lovecraft

HampusA

Thanks for making my day :)

It would be fully possible to have discussions about incidents but unlike myself there are two extreme camps. The haters and the nuthuggers. Both are pure comedy and it´s impossible to have a discussion with any of them because they will accuse you of a hater or nuthugger when your not.
The truth will come out...

bjpower

andartop wrote:Could be simpler. We only need someone who knows programming to write an algorithm that will automatically remove all posts from each poster that repeat what he or she has already posted..

Alternatively we could try the opposite. Write a bot that will copy/paste automatically (from any random thread) the usual Beavis & Butthead-isms to pre-empty any attempt to ruin every single thread:

- No, here's a video.
- No, see the line is going right/left and he has already 5 wheels off the track and his front wing up X's arse.
- No, you're blind and your driver is a jerk, the stewards are biased and the Pope is racist, Lewis is Senna'a reincarnation, his piss turns into wine.
- Vettel can't overtake.
- Button is gay.
- No, it's not.
- Yes, it is.
- No.
- Yes.
- So?
- Nothing.
- Leave me alone.
- F1 is dead.
- No, you're dead.
just when i think the forun has gone down the toilet - a golden nugget appears.
thank you for this post :)

andrew

andartop wrote:Could be simpler. We only need someone who knows programming to write an algorithm that will automatically remove all posts from each poster that repeat what he or she has already posted..

- No, here's a video.
- Vettel can't overtake.
- Button is gay.
- No, it's not.
- Yes, it is.
- No.
- Yes.
- So?
- Nothing.
- Leave me alone.
- F1 is dead.
- No, you're dead.
Right for the next race thread that gets opened, we'll put this on page 1 so it gets all the fanboy ying-yang handbags at dawn out the way early. :lol:

beelsebob

I loled.

In the mean time, I don't think there's much technical that can be said about a race. As far as I'm concerned, watching a race is all about supporting someone, and as long as the fans respect each other's favoured driver, and keep the fanishness contained to the race thread that's all fine by me. A mod is welcome to tell me otherwise though.

andartop

A mod???

Who needs the police? We're all grown ups.

Let us all do a Kimi next time around.

Let us all have a shite.

Or an ice cream.

edit: replaced --- with shite
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. H.P.Lovecraft

ringo

andrew wrote:I wonder if it is possible to put a time limit on the race threads of, say, 3 days after the race then the thread expires and is locked unless something really relevant is to be added and a moderator approves it.

Might stop the thread from wandering off course and getting bogged down in fanboy ying-yang due to the time limit meaning that posts have to be about something, rather than school ground "my Dad will kick your Dad's ass" only instead of "Dad" it is driver.

Just a thought.

So what will you do when the threads are closed?
Stop acting like you don't wander in looking for arguments. It's entertaining for you.
:wink:

Death is not a pretty sight, thus all threads must end like this. There are no race threads that end sparkly clean unless the race was boring.
It has to rot and fester until the next race week.

The only solution is to have a race every weekend.
For Sure!!

flynfrog

beelsebob wrote:I loled.

In the mean time, I don't think there's much technical that can be said about a race. As far as I'm concerned, watching a race is all about supporting someone, and as long as the fans respect each other's favoured driver, and keep the fanishness contained to the race thread that's all fine by me. A mod is welcome to tell me otherwise though.
to be honest Fanisheness is not welcome in this entire forum. I am just as guilty as you in this thread I was mostly just messing around out of boredom. So if a mod wont tell take it from some one who has spent way to much time on this place take your fanboy crap somewhere else its not welcome here. Currently there are 6+ threads with the same fanyboy crap in them to be honest no one gives a --- whether Hamilton is at fault or not.

-flyn

Ciro Pabón

flynfrog wrote:... Currently there are 6+ threads with the same fanyboy crap in them to be honest no one gives a --- whether Hamilton is at fault or not...
flyn, puhleeze.

I see the opposite problem. A lot of people "gives a" whether Hamilton is at fault of not.

Actually, too many people "gives a".

I'd say a majority of people "gives a".

Now, you say you don't want to "give a". This means you are more or less alone in your position.

The usual, I'd say.

Anyone would say that if they (we?) weren't "giving a" so much we wouldn't be drowned in "it".

I confess I also "give a", and more than once.

It is understandable you not wanting to be "given" so much.

Darn.

I see you failing miserably when trying to keep Fannyshness (good name, btw, blink, blink) at bay.

On the other hand, I'm glad I don't have to cope with a driver crashing like 37 times in a row as forum moderators have to do.

If you expect people to keep themselves quiet and moderated while a driver crashes like 37 times in a row (weren't 37? Really?) you are expecting too much of your fellow humans.

Besides, I think we have to ponder history. What we write now will be used as reference by future Formula One historians. What you write today will reverberate in eternity, like that guy at "Gladiator" with the cool armor.

When they research about the most times a driver crashed in a row in history, they could be looking at your posts. You don't want them to think you didn't watch the race, do you? If Hamilton keeps the rate he has right now, of 37 crashes per race (is it less? more?) the threads of this year's races will be searched by those historians, rest assured.

Besides, in search of organization, if we try to group the discussions about "who's fault" it was, let's say by type of crash, by model of car, or by race, or even by continent, I'm sure we will end with much more than six threads. We're talking of an average of 37 or so crashes, that's a lot, even for my standards.

It's sad but I think the only place on Earth Hamilton hasn't crashed this year is Antarctica, South America and Outer Hebrides. Of course, there are no F1 races in such remote places of Earth. That explain the number of threads we have now: one for Africa, one for Asia, etc.

Finally, I defend the rights of all fanboys of the world to post everywhere. As the First Ammendment says (and I quote): "prisoners will be allowed to talk before they are hanged, not after".

Fanboys of the world, unite!

... 37 times per race.
Ciro

andrew

ringo wrote:
andrew wrote:I wonder if it is possible to put a time limit on the race threads of, say, 3 days after the race then the thread expires and is locked unless something really relevant is to be added and a moderator approves it.

Just a thought.

So what will you do when the threads are closed?
Stop acting like you don't wander in looking for arguments. It's entertaining for you.
Entertaining to a point.....

Caito

Re: How to improve race threads?

Haven't read all the responses, so sorry if something has already been said.

Is it utopic to educate the users? Else, ban. Things begin to go off topic, a mod warns. If they keep doing it you get them a one week suspension.
Come back 747, we miss you!!

nae
nae

Ciro Pabón wrote:loads of way out wacky stuff like he always does
yet it makes so so much sense,is so well considered and often makes the rest of the thread nie on pointless

I mean it doesnt even draw the wrath of mods

well played sir , well played
..?

Giblet

andartop wrote:A mod???

Who needs the police? We're all grown up.
I wish this was true.

Oh the things I have seen. Some folks can't even properly spell the slurs that they are using with such conviction.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

donskar

Re: How to improve race threads?

Just a thought.
And a good thought, IMHO. You have my vote for the 3-day limit.
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill