McLaren MP4-19 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Reca

The Pitot tube is a device to measure dynamic pressure (0.5 * density * v^2) of a flow based on pressure measurement. The total pressure is defined as the sum of the static pressure and of the dynamic pressure and it’s, under particular conditions (that are with good approximations verified around the device) constant. So if you measures the total pressure and then measures also the static pressure, you can calculate easily the dynamic pressure and then, knowing via other ways the density, also the airspeed v = square root (2*(total p – static p)/rho).
If you wants more details on how the tube works just ask.

rodlamas

I just want to confirm something

Is Mclaren testing again at Valencia next week with their MP4/19?

I´ve read in f1racing.net that 8 teams will be at Valencia next week. Jordan is not testing, but Minardi is. I suppose that Renault is the other team not to test, because they´ll be launching the R24 in Sicily on the 29th.

Please just confirm it for me! :D
"I only race to finisht first, because the second is the first looser" Ayrton Senna

Adrian Newey revealed that MP4-19 is a de-bugged & raceable version of MP4-18. Could any know what technologies MP4-19 has been stripped of?

As far as i know McLaren will be testing at Valencia next week! On there website there scheduled to test on the 2nd of February at Barcelona but thats a week on monday so that leaves a whole week empty so therefore they must be testing at valencia unless there doing another private test!

rodlamas

That´s what i said.

On f1racing.net has been said that 8 teams will be at valencia next week.

The fact is: Jordan is not testing next week and renault is launching the r24 at the middle of the test session.

So that´s a good prospect about seeing mclaren on a track with all the cars.

The interesting thing is that Schumacher has told that he´s not fearing williams and feels that Mclaren will be a major threat this season.

I really feel that Mclaren is in a very good shape for next season, but I wonder why he feels that?

Only with 2 days of testing, can he feel that
"I only race to finisht first, because the second is the first looser" Ayrton Senna

Mclaren11

Monstrobolaxa
Earlier in the thread you talked about a racecar Aero book, what book is that?

MS is right to think that Mclaren and Kimi will be the biggest threat next year! They are on the right tyres and have had the most time to develop there car! When you think about it the car has been develping since May last year as most of it is the 18a! They learned a lot from the 18!

geek
geek

MP4-19A

Guys, have you noticed that Mclaren has continued test and development of the MP4-19A?
I wonder if these are still comparison tests between 19A and 19B, or if they have finally overcome all the woes the 19A faced at the start of the season. Furthermore, today De La Rosa tested the 19A with the new front wing arrangement, and he wasn't that far away from Wurz's time, although we all know what testing times are worth nowadays.

MP4-19A
http://www.f1racing.net/en/photolarge.p ... catID=1455

MP4-19B
http://www.f1racing.net/en/photolarge.p ... catID=1454

scarbs

I can't be sure, but you'll probably find the 19a is used for tyre testing and as a test bed for non-performance testing.

tetopelis

yeah i agree with scrabs
i think most probably they are using the 19A for a comparison test...especially for the new nose..cos i feel Mclaren isin't to certian whether the new nose is a good step in the right direction..cos they reverted to the old anteater nose for the china race. probably they feel not enough test was done on a part which is a very drastic aero chang on the car...its pretty much the whole front portion of the car being changed...but a question here...is it seriously possible to change the front aero that drastically without effecting the other aero components on the car?...cos if i'm not mistaken each aero component on the car is designed relative to each other?
" If you want to win, get a Finn" - Hakkinen

it depends...as long as you don´t change the front wing the teams swear it is all a system and you could not put a ferrari wing to good use on a mac.The next day out of desperation or due to new simulation the ferrari wing is the hot ticket on the mac without any further mods.
A bit simplfied ,but don´t trust the bullshit they tell the hacks in public...

scarbs

I think the new nose theory might be misleading you. The Mac wide-nose uses a very different front wing and its differing use is a reaction to the circuits demands and not an instrinic problem with it. For example the anteater wing may be creates more downforce for more sensitivity and drag, while the wide nose has less sensitivty drag.
I also undersand the different noses use different bargeboards and floor sections, so the nose cannot simply be swapped out.
I doubt the 19A is running the 19Bs nose despite the visual similarities they are in fact different.

As I said the 19A testing is simply that chassis is available (don’t forget three 19Bs are overseas in between China and Japan) and the testing being carried out is not dependant on the new car.

Geek
Geek

MP4-19A

Hmm, the pictures on the last day of testing clearly show that it's not only the new nose cone on the 19-A but also a different rear wing to the one being used by the 19-B,
take a look:

This is 19-A(with the swooped rear wing)
http://www.f1racing.net/en/photolarge.p ... catID=1456

This is 19-B(with the straight rear wing)
http://www.f1racing.net/en/photolarge.p ... catID=1456

:-k Being a natural born conspiracy theorist, I'll stick by the presumption that there's more to it than just tyre testing.