Hungarian GP 2011 - Hungaroring

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
HampusA

Re: Hungarian GP 2011 - Hungaroring

I look forward to the comments after the race :)
The truth will come out...

munudeges

n smikle wrote:The car is just not providing enough of a cushion for its drivers as it once was in the early parts of the season. Vettel and Webbers are guys that need that cushion.
For the first time I'm sensing a bit of an inquest at Red Bull. Because of their performance advantage they haven't needed to look much at their drivers, but I'm convinced that if you put Hamilton or Alonso in Webber's Red Bull they would win that race. They're either going to have to gain a performance advantage again or have a look at their drivers, and that has political implications in itself where I'm not convinced the team has any control.

ringo

raymondu999 wrote:Actually I remember saying it back then; and I'll say it again. I think RB miscalculated their Silverstone setup. They had too much downforce on! They were going through the first left right in Maggotts, as well as the Abbey right-hander (Turn 1) flat, with the DRS enabled! This would've meant that in the race (where DRS had to be off, giving them MUCH more downforce) they'd have way too much grip, and a shedload of drag to deal with on the straights.
No such thing as too much grip.

The drivers need to know how to use it properly.

I'm still convinced the redbull is better in race than any other car. I just don't see Massa and Jenson making their Ferrari and Mclaren look like it's on redbull level.
We need to look on those 2 guys in their cars before we judge the redbull.
Both are WDC (one for 30s) and are pretty good drivers.
For Sure!!

PlatinumZealot

He means too much drag.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

raymondu999

What I meant was that in the race, they would have enough grip to go at x km/h through a corner, but they would actually be drag limited to something less.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

HampusA

That doesn´t correlate to reality though.

Maggotts and Becketts are very dependent on DF mainly because you rarely don´t touch the brake there.
It´s flat for 50% so if RBR had to much DF they would not be beaten by Ferrari in that spot.

I think it was nothing less then the EBD ban that slowed them down.

raymondu999

But the thing is; EBD wouldn't make much difference in that complex. Also, it's flat for most people, but not flat WITH DRS.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

HampusA

Actually it does.
You take the left hander - right hander flat then no throttle for the left hander and half the right hander and then you get on the power.

I don´t know what you mean by not flat with DRS. That´s pretty obvious and isn´t the DRS zone on the new straight and not on the run down to Copse.

dieguezzz

Wat was the track temperature in 2010 in qualifying and the race? everyone is predicting results, but Its no betting site, or is it? btw, first post here, hello to everyone.

raymondu999

I'm talking about qualifying. Mark Webber's pole lap, they took Maggotts (the first left right) as well as the Abbey Turn 1 flat out, with DRS flap opened.

@Dieguezzz - welcome to the board! Not sure why you're interested in the 2010 track temps though? :?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

dieguezzz

yeah i also think he will be fast, hes in good form. but Im thinking with low track temperatures and good mechanical grip McLaren can create another strong result.

edit: I see from a circuit guide track temps should be high this time of year, not so good for McLaren maybe...

Mandrake

HampusA wrote:Actually it does.
You take the left hander - right hander flat then no throttle for the left hander and half the right hander and then you get on the power.
Obviously I've never driven a formula one car, but for every motorsports there is the "rule" that there's never NO action on either pedal. There is full throttle, full braking and every possible iteration of pedal pressing inbetween, but never is the car just rolling through there. In F1 engine braking is very heavy, so if you'd just roll through there you'd lose a lot of speed. So if it's not full throttle, but no braking either, somthing between 20 and 80% of throttle will be applied. That means that the EBD wasn't affected by the change of regulations in that complex of corners.

godlameroso

There is a bit of lifting in F1, no driver coasts for more than a few seconds at most, but they do. Example in Hungaroring is turns 8 and 9, and also the last turn, it's faster to briefly lift than it is to use the brakes.
Saishū kōnā

raymondu999

Yep; and some corners; I believe, using brakes would induce too much load transfer? (I could be talking rubbish)
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

HampusA

Mandrake wrote:Obviously I've never driven a formula one car, but for every motorsports there is the "rule" that there's never NO action on either pedal. There is full throttle, full braking and every possible iteration of pedal pressing inbetween, but never is the car just rolling through there. In F1 engine braking is very heavy, so if you'd just roll through there you'd lose a lot of speed. So if it's not full throttle, but no braking either, somthing between 20 and 80% of throttle will be applied. That means that the EBD wasn't affected by the change of regulations in that complex of corners.
Yes you are correct that for 99% of corners there should be no delay between brakes and throttle. That´s why some drivers like Barrichello had to re-learn left foot braking instead of his usual right foot braking.
He was a right foot braker at Ferrari.

But the Becketts Maggotts complex you coast the car and you don´t touch the brakes until you reach Stowe and even there you use very little brake.
Last edited by HampusA on 26 Jul 2011, 16:00, edited 1 time in total.