Hungarian GP 2011 - Hungaroring

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Javert

Re: Hungarian GP 2011 - Hungaroring

marcush. wrote:again it proves how teams really fail on the strategy side.In those conditions the supersofts were simply worse and still most teams did take two stints on them to realise .
I´d say at half season everyone should know what each compound is capable of and what it is not.
In Canada super-softs seemed work great in these conditions. No way they could know softs would have been the best choice for grip.

Richard

Ferrari and McLaren could have waited to see Webber's timings, but I guess they feared being undercut so reacted too soon.

We saw the same scenario in Monaco.

marcush.

Javert wrote:
marcush. wrote:again it proves how teams really fail on the strategy side.In those conditions the supersofts were simply worse and still most teams did take two stints on them to realise .
I´d say at half season everyone should know what each compound is capable of and what it is not.
In Canada super-softs seemed work great in these conditions. No way they could know softs would have been the best choice for grip.

with the temperatures track and ambient very similar to Canada ,the question is crystal clear:
what was the differentiator in the race ? both tracks were surely green due to the weather situation .so it comes down to the supersoft compound changed by pirelli or the track surface in Hungary being more abarasive than Canada .I´d say this is a fairly easy plot to follow during a grandPrix weekend as the engineers had time enough to align their data from Canada to Hungary and draw the right conclusions.

komninosm

Poleman wrote:
Traction wrote:Any comments on Lewis's penalty?
I think was fair...Hard call though it was.He didnt actually see DiResta as the moment he was turning around Paul was entering the chicane.It was the heat of the moment and after all he accepted it and also apologized to Paul after the race.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szqJcP6dHe4
Replay footage starts after 27 seconds.

i70q7m7ghw

Simple fact is if Button had been the one on the 'silly' strategy very few of you would be moaning now. Lewis has accepted "that's motor racing", you should too.

Richard

We'll never know the full radio transcripts but I winder who, why and when they decided to put Button on the harder tyres?

Button has said that it was his call to NOT come in for inters. By that point Alonso and Hamilton had no choice but to take a gamble on inters to rescue them from the mistake of putting on softer tyres.

ps - Can anyone recall what Massa did? Did he pit before or after Alonso?

ringo

richard_leeds wrote:Odd that we're not hearing the same criticism of Ferrari who were on the same strategy. Two of the top three teams went for the SS.
They weren't leading the race.
It was worth the risk, as you can attack from the back in this way.

It's completely different from a leading perspective.
Last edited by ringo on 02 Aug 2011, 15:40, edited 1 time in total.
For Sure!!

Mr Alcatraz

beelsebob wrote:
Mr Alcatraz wrote:
richard_leeds wrote:Odd that we're not hearing the same criticism of Ferrari who were on the same strategy. Two of the top three teams went for the SS.
If I'm not mistaken you are actually correct, but the advantage Ferrari (Alonso) had was he ran his last set of SS for only something like 8 laps came in for the primes and cruised to a podium!
Yes... and in 8 laps he certainly didn't make up the 17 odd seconds needed for a pit stop, did he... it would have been better simply to go onto the softs... then he would have finished ahead of vettel.
No I don't think that would have been prudent, as Alonso's last stint was quite long, something like 22 laps. Hindsight is 20 20 but I don't think Alonso would have gained an advantage by going on primes with 30 laps remaining in the race. In fact it probably would have lost him a place to the boss, and the end to the current longest streak of consecutive podiums :wink:
Now I am a little confused, I'm not sure if Alonso used all his SS's, but if he did they didn't last worth dink. Maybe someone more industrious than me (who actually cares)
could post comparative stint lengths with tire spec's of The Boss, Fred, and Kettle
Those who believe in telekinetics raise my hand

Mr Alcatraz

ringo wrote:
They weren't leading the race.
Precisely, yet they still did not act out of desperation. If (and this is a very big if as McLaren could say the same about The Boss) Massa had not spun and damaged his 150 he would have been a Ferrari on the podium. :-({|= :-P
Those who believe in telekinetics raise my hand

marcush.

I think the idea behind using the SS was the teams hoping for better grip in very light rain conditions ,when the softs would surely have more trouble to keep in a workable window.

DM0407

Not to change the subject, but drivers are complaining that the track needs resurfacing and the use of "slippery" paint should not be allowed...

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/93607

This, after one of the most interesting and challenging races in years. I loved watching the cars sliding around and struggling for grip, I could care less that the lap times were 10seconds or more slower. It was amazing racing!

Now the drivers want non-slip paint and better run off areas when they do screw up. First of all, if your on the paint then your off the track and it should be slippery. I'm sick of this complaining from drivers that the track should cater to their needs.

Even Button said that the last few corners were like driving with overheated tires... I wonder if he also agrees that may have helped him with the race with his smooth driving style...

I hope this track stays exactly as is for next year (especially if they need gov't funding to afford repaving) and we get the exact same conditions.

If anything I would like to see cars with much more torque on such slippery, unpredictable tracks and see who really is the best driver.

Richard

ringo wrote: They weren't leading the race.
It was worth the risk, as you can attack from the back in this way.
The irony being Vettel who was at the back chose not to attack from the back.

gridwalker

richard_leeds wrote:We'll never know the full radio transcripts but I winder who, why and when they decided to put Button on the harder tyres?

Button has said that it was his call to NOT come in for inters. By that point Alonso and Hamilton had no choice but to take a gamble on inters to rescue them from the mistake of putting on softer tyres.

ps - Can anyone recall what Massa did? Did he pit before or after Alonso?
Massa pitted before Alonso : when he spun, I commented that he'd be the first onto inters and was a bit annoyed when Webber beat him by the length of the pitlane ;)
"Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine ..."

PlatinumZealot

Diesel wrote:
n smikle wrote:Anyway - I still haven't gotten over the switch to super softs on Hamilton's Mclaren. Total disgrace. How was he supposed to win the race 30 laps on super softs and the pursuer only 7 seconds away on prime? In the words of Fernando Alonso, THAT IS F'ing RIDICULOUS!
He should have been faster on super softs, a second a lap for 13 laps was all he needed if the next car was 7 seconds down the road after the stop. It's a well known fact the super softs are a second faster than the softs, and fact is he wasn't fast enough chump, sorry.

*awaits a fanboy bashing*
No you are very wrong.

For Friday and Saturday the supersofts were 0.8 seconds faster for most drivers. For Hamilton it was 0.6 seconds faster. FACTS.

On Sunday the Soft was faster than the super soft at that point in the race.

Even If the SS were 0.6 seocnds faster assuming NO degradation that is -6 seconds gap to Jenson + 20 seconds required for pitstop DIVIDED by 0.6 seconds per lap which gives 14/0.6 = 23 LONG KNIFE EDGE LAPS to make the pit gap ZERO THEN he has cold tyres to heat up.

You ever see a supersoft last 23 laps?

Come on man... :roll: You are on F1 tech not Planet F1. :roll:
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

shelly

Hamilton on a +1 stop strategy did not need to make all the gap with 23 laps stint on supersofts. He could make a fast but shorter stint on ss, change them for softs exiting the pits behind button and then closing the gap and overtaking him using fresher and more performing softs.
We have sen overtaking was possible, so it is not like in the old days when you had o comeback in front form the pits after the final stop.

So wat diesel said is not completey wrong, no reason for smikle to react like that
twitter: @armchair_aero