Hungarian GP 2011 - Hungaroring

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
ringo

Re: Hungarian GP 2011 - Hungaroring

That's what the season is missing. Dry to wet.
The best kind of wet race.
For Sure!!

ringo

from autosport:
Lotus driver Trulli, who retired from the race after 17 laps, believes the FIA should have given a penalty to Perez.

He also told the governing body to pay attention to the back of the field when imposing penalties.

"This time around it's my turn to complain and tell the FIA off, despite my race ending almost immediately," wrote Trulli in his column for Repubblica. "At the start I already had to deal with three incidents ahead of me that pushed me to the back, then Perez arrived with his absurd behaviour and everything was over.

"He was strangely slow, more than my Lotus: I overtook him twice and to regain his position he cut the chicane. The rulebook is crystal clear, he had to move over and give the position back to me; instead he didn't care, he stayed ahead of me.

"He showed a rare kind of rudeness and a unique ignorance of the rules, but I wonder why the FIA did not take any measure. What is it there for? What was it looking at? I understand why a boy would shrug, but the stewards had to intervene.

"I could overtake him only in the slow sector but didn't manage to anymore, he slowed me down and ruined my race before my engine threw a tantrum like at Silverstone and forced me to retire.

"My message is clear: there is only one rulebook and it's the same for everyone: not just for the guys ahead, but also for the people at the back of the grid."
How rude of Perez. :wtf:
Madness!!

Must of been ashamed of being overtaken by a Lotus. They were running good in the wet. Both here and at silverstone.

Stewards and camera need to watch the back of the grid a little more.
For Sure!!

Mr Alcatraz

I had no idea JT was so articulate. :roll:
That was like something out of a Nathaniel Hawthorne story :-o
Those who believe in telekinetics raise my hand

Traction

richard_leeds wrote:
Traction wrote:Here is a great article from James Allen summarizing the whole tyre issue...makes for good reading with a chart at the end for lap times. Note how dramatically some of the drivers drop off while some stay consistent as ever...

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2011/08/m ... m-hungary/
Thanks for pointing us to that article. James Allen always does a good job of breaking the strategies down into simple parts, he also seems to have good inside information, such as the influence of wind on hitting the rev limiter on the pit straight
I like hearing the summary from someone that's as close to an expert as you can get, all the speculation in the world means nothing whenyou have the facts laid out in front of you... 8)
Generally I don't care about what people say. I have to be clear with myself. When everything goes well, people celebrate you, when you make mistakes people criticize you.
Sebastian Vettel

PlatinumZealot

I think that article is OK but James' opinion is just like any other common man. There are times when he writes rubbish opinions and times when he is balanced and factual.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

PlatinumZealot

Ray wrote:After watching the race (finally!) it's a damn shame Lewis didn't win that race. The first few laps where he was chasing Vettel were amazing. The car control the front runners have is beyond belief. He should have had a much better finish, but Button drove a beautiful race to a well deserved win. Lewis will definitely be a threat the rest of this year and with any luck we might get changing conditions in Spa. I personally would like to see a dry to wet race just to see Lewis possibly charge through the field. Great race!
Tired of lotteries in changing conditions now! :?
I prefer either 100% wet, 100% damp or 100% dry!
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Traction

n smikle wrote:I think that article is OK but James' opinion is just like any other common man. There are times when he writes rubbish opinions and times when he is balanced and factual.
I think in regards to knowledge on F1,he's a cut above the common man.....
Generally I don't care about what people say. I have to be clear with myself. When everything goes well, people celebrate you, when you make mistakes people criticize you.
Sebastian Vettel

Mr Alcatraz

+2 for n smikle, and would only like to add that the races seem to have enough "Loterian" (that's not really a word) :wink: affect with the seeming unpredictability of the tires, and the lack of in season testing that exacerbates it. Don't get me wrong, Button deserved to win because he did not make a single driving error. The Boss was obviously the fastest, but that in itself is simply what it is. The article by Allen was good reference material, and added some insight but to me he is a good journalist, above the common man, equal with an in formed F1 enthusiast, but not a genius.

raymondu999

n smikle wrote:
Ray wrote:After watching the race (finally!) it's a damn shame Lewis didn't win that race. The first few laps where he was chasing Vettel were amazing. The car control the front runners have is beyond belief. He should have had a much better finish, but Button drove a beautiful race to a well deserved win. Lewis will definitely be a threat the rest of this year and with any luck we might get changing conditions in Spa. I personally would like to see a dry to wet race just to see Lewis possibly charge through the field. Great race!
Tired of lotteries in changing conditions now! :?
I prefer either 100% wet, 100% damp or 100% dry!
Absolutely. I prefer races to be decided by strategies and pace rather than gambles.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

marcush.

the undebatable fact is that Button gets it right more often than others in these coinditions .
The race was not a lottery .Allen misses the point of on track mistakes committed by all the top runners .I have lost count of off track excursions of Alonso who just went a notch too aggressive into this race .
Same with Hamilton .You cannot af´ford to spin and have drive throughs in a race you want to win-usually.

HampusA

I´m quite embarrased by Ferrari during changing conditions.

I think in Canada, Alonso went in 5 times during the race. Two of which was 2 lap stints or something like that.
The truth will come out...

beelsebob

marcush. wrote:the undebatable fact is that Button gets it right more often than others in these coinditions .
The race was not a lottery .Allen misses the point of on track mistakes committed by all the top runners .I have lost count of off track excursions of Alonso who just went a notch too aggressive into this race .
Same with Hamilton .You cannot af´ford to spin and have drive throughs in a race you want to win-usually.
Indeed, it's no coincidence that of the two races that have been seriously messed up by rain/drying/raining etc this year, Button has won both.

In pure wet conditions, I'll bet on Hamilton any day, but in semi-wet/drying/raining etc conditions, it's Button all the way.

Richard

raymondu999 wrote:Absolutely. I prefer races to be decided by strategies and pace rather than gambles.
Coping with the weather is part of the challenge.

Its just like field sports should be played outdoors on grass.

Mr Alcatraz

richard_leeds wrote:
raymondu999 wrote:Absolutely. I prefer races to be decided by strategies and pace rather than gambles.
Coping with the weather is part of the challenge.

Its just like field sports should be played outdoors on grass.
But that does not preclude the fact that McLaren made a decision (if you believe it was their decision) that can only be characterized as an educated guess, act of faith, or a gamble.
You can paint a turd and make it look like a Christmas tree ornament but it is still a turd.
In Football American style it would be the equivalent of bringing your star running back in and making him change to cleats for muddy conditions when it is just starting to spit, however in racing you can’t substitute for him while he changes back to the more appropriate footwear!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XbAuCZA ... 55A3B70070[/youtube]

Richard

Mr Alcatraz wrote:In Football American style it would be the equivalent of bringing your star running back in and making him change to cleats for muddy conditions when it is just starting to spit, however in racing you can’t substitute for him while he changes back to the more appropriate footwear!
LOL - in European sports you can't substitute like that. If a player needs to change shoes or needs treatment then the game goes on without them.