Rotary valve technology

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
IdeaMan

Re: Rotary valve technology

I just dicovered F1Tech yesterday and read this discussion over several hours.One thought I have is to have two small openings for intake and two for exhaust. As a start these would be sized to flow the same as the poppet valves you are eliminating. This could possibly cause a smaller diameter rotary valve and create high velocities allowing use of conventional overlap cam timing,additionally this at first thought would allow smaller packaging. Resonance of air in a tube.

IdeaMan

Also I am working on the seal clues in my subconcious. Mr who

IdeaMan

Now I think these through holes, at least the intake should be in the shape of or cause a venturi. Tuned port FI is restricted to the intake valve being open, DI everything can be smaller, injector valve because it can feed fuel during compression and even after ignition if the pressure is high enough, this should allow higher rpms. The seal on slave cylinder of drum brakes seems to use fluid pressure to help the seal seal, so I suppose combustion pressure could be used in similar way for rotary valve seal.

Carlos

Consider multiple ports to increase the area of intake and exhaust rather than single large ports, which might have seal snagging problems.

throwaway1

So, whats new? Any updates?

aussiegman

Six months on, so has there been any movement on this project???
Never approach a Bull from the front, a Horse from the back, or an Idiot from any direction

elmerfud

I've slept on a good design for 10 years, simply for the fact the any precision timing requires oscillating or momentary rotary motion. If you are deal with a tiny little pooppet valve, no inertia - so no problems.
However, if you are dealing with a long steel shaft with the friction of rubbing seals, also heat buildup??

You dont need a brilliant mathematical mind to realise these hurdles only become worse as the revs increase.
If you crack the code on intertia, friction, sealing and heat then I will the first to be awed by your invention.

gordonsalive

Any updates on this development?

PlatinumZealot

elmerfud wrote:I've slept on a good design for 10 years, simply for the fact the any precision timing requires oscillating or momentary rotary motion. If you are deal with a tiny little pooppet valve, no inertia - so no problems.
However, if you are dealing with a long steel shaft with the friction of rubbing seals, also heat buildup??

You dont need a brilliant mathematical mind to realise these hurdles only become worse as the revs increase.
If you crack the code on intertia, friction, sealing and heat then I will the first to be awed by your invention.
I disagree with this. The sealing problems are not difficult. Because 1: The combustion gases still have viscosity. If your sealing gap (if there is one at all) is small enough and if there is another row of sealing especially the gasses will have to slow down to extremely slow speeds to even pass through, it is almost like the flow has to be laminar! That is asking alot from a big flaming ball of fire in the combustion chamber. By the time that local area of gas near the seals slow down the exhaust port is open.

I am not saying there is no chance of leakage, but for Formula 1 purposes especially, the seals only have to last for a few hours. I am sure Toyota had good longevity with their Bishop valve engine.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

hardingfv32

n smikle wrote:... If your sealing gap (if there is one at all) is small enough and if there is another row of sealing especially the gasses will have to slow down to extremely slow speeds to even pass through, it is almost like the flow has to be laminar! That is asking alot from a big flaming ball of fire in the combustion chamber...
This is incorrect. The slightest leak at a poppet valve seat can be observed on the dyno as a loss of performance.

Brian

gerhick

Hi all,

I'm another engineer who thinks he may have cracked the rotary valve code, but looking to identify further potential weaknesses to overcome. I'm quite keen to hear if there were any updates from the OP, I'm also located in Brisbane so would LOVE the opportunity to hear more about the concept.

Cheers
-Gerrard

flynfrog

gerhick,

I dont think the thread starter has posted here in a few years you might try sending him an email. Feel free to post your ideas here. We would love to read them.

asenderm7@gmail.com

rotaryvalveman,

This piece what i'm looking for, I invented a new car engine and i want that piece for the engine, please contact me to asenderm7 at gmail.com.

Thank you.

kings

OK guysw, if anyone is intewrested, I have been quietly working away and have a new account here now. If you want to see and continue to follow my progress, I am producing and running my own commercially available set of rotary valve engines and go to http://www.enginedevelopments.com.au to keep an eye on me. Castings done, parts to make, design is finished and we should have it running and optomised this year. Not got the biggeset budget in the world but doing OK. I'll keep you posted and I'll also keep the faith. Cheers.

PVDL

kings wrote:OK guysw, if anyone is intewrested, I have been quietly working away and have a new account here now. If you want to see and continue to follow my progress, I am producing and running my own commercially available set of rotary valve engines and go to http://www.enginedevelopments.com.au to keep an eye on me. Castings done, parts to make, design is finished and we should have it running and optomised this year. Not got the biggeset budget in the world but doing OK. I'll keep you posted and I'll also keep the faith. Cheers.

Are you rotaryvalveman?