F1technical on mobile devices

Everything about this website and its content. Here you will find update announcements or requests for feedback. Questions about layout, functionality, content, and your suggestions are welcome.
roost89

F1technical on mobile devices

Would like to see if people are for this idea. On Android and iPhone there's an app called Tapatalk, which is a forum reader. I sent a message to Tomba to see if he could add the plugin to the forum so it can be viewed on your mobile device of choice.

So would you be in favour of this (if it can be done)?
"It could be done manually. It would take quite a while, but it could be done. There is however a much more efficient and accurate way of getting the data. Men with lasers." Wing Commander Andy Green

flynfrog

Re: What would you add to F1technical?

roost89 wrote:Would like to see if people are for this idea. On Android and iPhone there's an app called Tapatalk, which is a forum reader. I sent a message to Tomba to see if he could add the plugin to the forum so it can be viewed on your mobile device of choice.

So would you be in favour of this (if it can be done)?
better mobile access would be great. I often read the forum when waiting for my flights but its kind of cumbersome

roost89

Re: F1technical on mobile devices

This is the website for Tapatalk (the client) for those that are wanting a closer look: http://www.tapatalk.com/
It costs to download but it's rather good imo
"It could be done manually. It would take quite a while, but it could be done. There is however a much more efficient and accurate way of getting the data. Men with lasers." Wing Commander Andy Green

Steven
Owner

I'm looking into tapatalk (viewtopic.php?f=7&t=9054&hilit=tapatalk).
As I understand it would only improve looking at the forum.

Perhaps it would be interesting to have a mobile layout for the site in its entirety? Any mobile users have tips as to what is bothering them most when viewing f1t from a mobile device?

flynfrog

biggest pet peeve is having to zoom in on every thing. also kinda hard to click on the links.

NewtonMeter

Tomba wrote:Image
I don't understand, that just brings up the normal desktop site for me?

Anyway, I'd love a mobile site or application. Basically a lot of scrolling and zooming gets to me. I haven't checked for this specifically, but I reckon it does eat some data as well, perhaps that could be optimised for mobile use as well, cut out the niceties and leave the essentials.

Alternatively, instead of displaying everything (articles, upcoming events, standings, tech articles, etc) on the home page only display the articles, then make tabs or something similar for each other section, including obviously the forum.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool...

Pup
Pup

Tomba wrote:Perhaps it would be interesting to have a mobile layout for the site in its entirety?
Please don't. There's nothing worse than bringing up a site on an iPad or phone to have it redirect you to some awful mobile version. The whole point of modern phones is that you don't have to do resort to hacks like that. Just avoid flash and don't get too cute with processor intense html5 stuff like that god awful onswipe and you've got it covered.

I'm all for tapatalk, though, since it's a separate app that you can avoid if you'd rather use the browser. I think that alone would satisfy 99% of any mobile users' gripes.

woody3says

Quite peeved right now. I was just directed by this site TO that app saying it was on there. $3 later and I can't find it at all....

Krispy

Bingo. Same thing for me. How do I find f1t on tapatalk?
"In order to finish first, you must first finish"-Stirling Moss

db__

woody3says wrote:Quite peeved right now. I was just directed by this site TO that app saying it was on there. $3 later and I can't find it at all....
ditto...

although now i've started using it on other forums it's actually quite good and probably better than a mobile version of the forum... not sure how Tomba's ad revenue would be affected though?

Steven
Owner

No revenue whatsoever with tapatalk visitors.

Anyway, the plugin is loaded here so you should be able to visit f1technical with it. Unfortunately I don't have the app myself yet so I can't check to be 100% sure.

WhiteBlue

I have purchased the app for my iphone. When I search for "F1technical" it tells me the forum is not found.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

Krispy

WhiteBlue wrote:I have purchased the app for my iphone. When I search for "F1technical" it tells me the forum is not found.
Same here...
"In order to finish first, you must first finish"-Stirling Moss

volarchico

I have the same problem with Android (installed the App, but can't find F1Technical). Has anyone figured out how to make this work?