button to end career at McLaren

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
lebesset

button to end career at McLaren

according to today's Times button has signed for the rest of his career , and that it will be for a minimum of 4 years [ no link ...subscription newspaper ]

presumably that includes a revamped 2012 contract

rumour mentions £50 million but who knows what that means :?
to the optimist a glass is half full ; to the pessimist a glass is half empty ; to the F1 engineer the glass is twice as big as it needs to be

Richard

Re: button to end career at McLaren

Four years in a deal worth "up to £50m"

Much of that will be in win & points bonuses, possibly 50:50? He'd have to win a WDC or two to get the full amount.

pob

His new contract is only to a minimum of the end of 2013 with rumoured further options for two seasons after that.

I would think the quoted "up to £50m" would be basic salary not including bonuses and endorsements, which would put it similar to Hamilton's salary.

The press quotes are notable for not saying he will finish his career at McLaren, so it is not impossible for him to move to another team before he hangs up his racing boots, although the new contract probably contains options for him becoming an ambassador for the McLaren brand when he does retire.

ringo

He'll leave before.
Just can't see him staying there. DOesn't look like a guy who wants to hang around at the same place for too long.
He'll leave after 2013.
For Sure!!

pob

It is sensible of Button to have a get-out after 2013, when he will have had a season to see how McLaren do under the new regs.

CHT
CHT

ringo wrote:He'll leave before.
Just can't see him staying there. DOesn't look like a guy who wants to hang around at the same place for too long.
He'll leave after 2013.

JB will remain with Mclaren beyond 2013, the one who will leave is LH.

PlatinumZealot

Whitmarsh and Paddy Low seem to love Button. So he will have a happy life there. But I can't really envision him as the face of Mclaren. I mean the other drivers would just think of him as if Webber turned No1 at RBR - not really the fastest guy in a top team.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

ringo

CHT wrote:
He'll leave after 2013.

I thought the same thing at Brawn.

If Button loses this year, even by a point, he'll be gone at the end of 2012.

As nice as he looks, he's kinda selfish in terms of what he can get out of a deal.
For Sure!!

raymondu999

To be fair ringo; you don't know that any of that is true. It might seem so to you but none of us know him personally and can really make such an argument
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

CHT
CHT

ringo wrote:
CHT wrote:
He'll leave after 2013.

I thought the same thing at Brawn.

If Button loses this year, even by a point, he'll be gone at the end of 2012.

As nice as he looks, he's kinda selfish in terms of what he can get out of a deal.

differences between now and then is Button is now driving for a top team and he was only 29 years old when he left Brawn

By 2014, he will be 34 years old, and I am honestly doubt any of the top team will want to hire someone who is close to "retirement age", and if it isn't a top team, why bother.

Mr.S

Mclaren is much bigger than Brawn. Everyone knew the team was not going to stand ground. Button stayed in BAR HONDA for years when he could have gone to other cars. There is nowhere to go for Button. Be Alonso or Vettel's lackey when he gets equal treatment at Mclaren which produces race winning cars.

Mclaren have always showed decent support to both drivers,Ferarri or Red Bull wont hesitate to put their full weight behind their No.1 driver.

I see Button carrying Mclaren in the next few years & if Mclaren dont win in 2012 I dont see Hamilton staying. Absolutely not if there is a good offer from Red Bull. With Button,Mclaren will be fine. He has done exceedingly well against Hamilton & could be the first team-mate to beat Hamilton.

CHT
CHT

Mr.S wrote:Mclaren is much bigger than Brawn. Everyone knew the team was not going to stand ground. Button stayed in BAR HONDA for years when he could have gone to other cars. There is nowhere to go for Button. Be Alonso or Vettel's lackey when he gets equal treatment at Mclaren which produces race winning cars.

Mclaren have always showed decent support to both drivers,Ferarri or Red Bull wont hesitate to put their full weight behind their No.1 driver.

I see Button carrying Mclaren in the next few years & if Mclaren dont win in 2012 I dont see Hamilton staying. Absolutely not if there is a good offer from Red Bull. With Button,Mclaren will be fine. He has done exceedingly well against Hamilton & could be the first team-mate to beat Hamilton.
Please avoid mentioning the name Lxxxx Hxxxxxxx. Very sensitive subject.

bizadfar

Mr.S wrote:Mclaren is much bigger than Brawn. Everyone knew the team was not going to stand ground. Button stayed in BAR HONDA for years when he could have gone to other cars. There is nowhere to go for Button. Be Alonso or Vettel's lackey when he gets equal treatment at Mclaren which produces race winning cars.

That's because the top 4 drives were all locked up. Then the top 6 for 2007-2008 (@ BMW Sauber).
Where did you want him to go? Williams for the 06 season? Lol. That was his only opportunity and he made a good decision staying despite 2007-2008.

Stop posting conjecture.

lebesset

the Times has got this wrong

according to button in an interview at suzuka today , this will NOT be his last contract in F1.....so he won't necessarily end his career here

of course button could be wrong and and it is :D

or it may even be the usual F1 smoke and mirrors
to the optimist a glass is half full ; to the pessimist a glass is half empty ; to the F1 engineer the glass is twice as big as it needs to be

raymondu999

Button doesn't know that this won't - but his intention is to keep it from being his last
失败者找理由,成功者找方法