Korean GP 2011 - Yeong-Am International Circuit

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.

Will Red Bull take the constructors title here?

Yes
66%
No
34%

Total votes: 50

raymondu999

Re: Korean GP 2011 - Yeong-Am International Circuit

Looks like wet Fridays followed by a dry weekend. Would be good to see what kind of racing this track can serve up in the dry.

Did they redo Turn 17? I seem to remember that you should hug the wall there; no kerb.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Mchamilton

raymondu999 wrote:Looks like wet Fridays followed by a dry weekend. Would be good to see what kind of racing this track can serve up in the dry.

Did they redo Turn 17? I seem to remember that you should hug the wall there; no kerb.
they've apparently moved a few walls away from the track a little in sector 3, i should think they've done that to turn 17 so you can actually see another driver ahead entering the pits

beelsebob

Mchamilton wrote:
raymondu999 wrote:Looks like wet Fridays followed by a dry weekend. Would be good to see what kind of racing this track can serve up in the dry.

they've apparently moved a few walls away from the track a little in sector 3, i should think they've done that to turn 17 so you can actually see another driver ahead entering the pits
They needed to resurface the pit entry anyway – Hamilton had a big issue on entry to the pits during qualifying because he hit a bump on the way in there.

kalinka

Oh well...then I'm not alone who was worried about that last corner. Look at my post at 1st page, there was a dangerous crash by Petrov last year in that place...Now it seem a bit safer, but the possibility of high speed oversteer is still there. The picture doesn't show the opposite side of the track ( where you "should" hit the wall if you oversteer hard in slippery conditions ). I hope there's some work done there too.

raymondu999

Was that not free practice when Lewis ran wide onto the grass? Thankfully he made it into the pits with no collisions anyway
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

beelsebob

raymondu999 wrote:Was that not free practice when Lewis ran wide onto the grass? Thankfully he made it into the pits with no collisions anyway
You're right, it was, but yeh – there was a big ass bump there, it needed smoothed over.

raymondu999

I kind of remember that while others hugged the inside wall at T17, Lewis went higher and wider to apex later so he could pit while exiting T17 flat out. The car snapped towards the wall, then Lewis counter steered. It went the other way, but the rears had regained traction, then pitted through the grass
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

intelligentF1

Seems like people are worried about the tyres, after Bridgstone's experience last year, and Pirelli choosing to bring the 'aggressive' choice. Good news for Ferrari?
-----------------------------------------------------------
I watch for the racing, but I like playing with the data...
http://www.intelligentf1.wordpress.com

raymondu999

Last year never had a problem of deg and wear though, did it? As I recall it was more graining. The Pirellis for the most part have not grained much this year as they seem to actually give off good mech grip. Look what happened in Canada. Bridgestones grained; Pirellis were fine.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

beelsebob

raymondu999 wrote:Last year never had a problem of deg and wear though, did it? As I recall it was more graining. The Pirellis for the most part have not grained much this year as they seem to actually give off good mech grip. Look what happened in Canada. Bridgestones grained; Pirellis were fine.
The only tyre problems I remember last year was everyone trying to go to the end of their wets/inters while the track was too dry and overheating them, we have no idea how it would have behaved on slicks really, and even if we did, the track was *just* laid then, the surface would have been much more slippery than now.

raymondu999

Last year IIRC the problem was there was a lot of dust from the nearby construction; as well as a lot of oil from the tarmac bedding in. This caused very slippery conditions in Free Practice; and graining was a major issue.

I don't think we ever got to the overheating phase of those tyres actually beelsebob - Remember that Fernando (albeit in the car that was the kindest to its rubber last year) was stringing 10 or so laps of constantly purple sectors in the last 10 to 15 laps; demonstrating just how well he took care of his rubber. He was at LEAST 2 to 3 seconds faster PER LAP than 2nd placed Hamilton in the last few laps.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

beelsebob

raymondu999 wrote:Last year IIRC the problem was there was a lot of dust from the nearby construction; as well as a lot of oil from the tarmac bedding in. This caused very slippery conditions in Free Practice; and graining was a major issue.

I don't think we ever got to the overheating phase of those tyres actually beelsebob - Remember that Fernando (albeit in the car that was the kindest to its rubber last year) was stringing 10 or so laps of constantly purple sectors in the last 10 to 15 laps; demonstrating just how well he took care of his rubber. He was at LEAST 2 to 3 seconds faster PER LAP than 2nd placed Hamilton in the last few laps.
I seem to remember at the 4?th safety car, LH radioed in saying that he had maximum front wing, diff unlocked, and he could see that he was still overheating his front tyres.

Gerhard Berger

I quite liked the final corner when you had to hug the wall. It was unique and added character to the track. It's not as good now.

Intego

Sadly it was too dangerous (as the drivers stated first). And in fact it wasn't unique as Monaco, Canada, and Singapure also have walls ... :wink:
"Posts targeted only at expressing favouritism or dislike towards people are treated as spam. They can hence be deleted without notice and could invoke a warning to the poster." f1technical forum rules

intelligentF1

Last year never had a problem of deg and wear though, did it? As I recall it was more graining. The Pirellis for the most part have not grained much this year as they seem to actually give off good mech grip. Look what happened in Canada. Bridgestones grained; Pirellis were fine.
I tend to agree. I think that the horror stories of four and five stops are based on graining from the Bridgestones on a brand new track on the Friday. No-one seems to be talking about less than four stops on anything I've seen previewing this year's race though. I have to make stuff disasterous on both options and primes to get four stops to look competitive here.

Supposed to rain on Friday, isn't it? That's not going to help figure out what's going on.
-----------------------------------------------------------
I watch for the racing, but I like playing with the data...
http://www.intelligentf1.wordpress.com