Abu Dhabi GP 2011 - Yas Marina

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
raymondu999

Abu Dhabi GP 2011 - Yas Marina

Circuit data (Source - F1Fanatic)
Length - 5.554km (3.451 miles)
Race distance - 55 laps (305.470km)

Top speed (race) – 319.2kph (198.342mph)
Full throttle - 60%
Longest flat-out section – 1.3km

Right/left-hand turns – 9/12
Tyre wear - Medium
Brake wear - High
Downforce level - 8/10
Gear changes per lap - 52

Strategy
2011 tyres: medium (prime, white) and soft (option, yellow)
2010 tyres: Medium (prime, no stripe), Super-Soft (option,stripe)
2009 tyres: Medium (prime, no stripe), Soft (option, stripe)

Average fuel use per lap: 2.699 kg/lap
Pit lane time loss: 20.5s

2010:

2010 pole lap:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCkwS7tT-Lw[/youtube]
Last edited by raymondu999 on 30 Oct 2011, 15:29, edited 1 time in total.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Trailer23

Re: Abu Dhabi GP 2011 - Yas Marina

I wanna go. I live here in the U.A.E, but $500.00/- for the cheapest ticket is a lil' rich for my blood.

Gerhard Berger

Not the best circuit for racing and I have bad memories from last year (not only Alonso losing the championship but there were only about 2 overtaking moves in the whole race).

Red Bull should have this, Mclaren will be their main challengers. Ferrari will probably be less of a factor due to the traction demands of the circuit.

raymondu999

To be factual Gerhard there were more than just 2 - but your point is well and truly noted. I do hope the Pirellis could somehow help out with that but as we saw in India - Pirellis alone are not absolute bolt-on supplements to overtaking.

I think the Bulls should be quite strong here - all the circuits where most corners are slow and fiddly; they have had good race pace as they're not hampered by the additional Pirelli degradation induced by their greater pace through corners.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Trailer23

The Yas Marina Circuit is only a few miles away from the Abu D. Airport. Since i'm a Cabin Crew, i've recorded a couple of videos (upclose) & taken pics as well during approch. I'll see if I can find & post 'em for U guys.

beelsebob

So...

If Button wins:
• Alonso must finish 3rd or higher (4th would make it possible to equal button on points, but button would beat him in the count back)
• Webber and Hamilton would be out of the race for second in the championship.

If Button is second:
• Alonso must be 6th or higher (7th as above).
• Webber must be 3rd or higher.

If Button were third:
• Alonso must be 8th or higher.
• Webber must be 5th or higher.

For Hamilton to stay in the race he must be 3rd or higher, Button must finish poorly.

raymondu999

Lol beelsebob - we've been reduced to working out championship permutations for who'll get runner up!
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

beelsebob

raymondu999 wrote:Lol beelsebob - we've been reduced to working out championship permutations for who'll get runner up!
Might as well do something to keep it interesting.

Richard

Second in the WDC has been fascinating this season. In terms of who gets my attention, this has been a Red Bull free season for me!

astracrazy

For me imo this circuit will suit both red bull and mclaren. I think sector 1 is red bull. Sector 2 nice long straights mclaren. sector 3 you'd think red bull, but mclaren have good traction as we saw in Korea.

+ Hamilton seems to like this circuit. I'm hoping of a close race

beelsebob

astracrazy wrote:For me imo this circuit will suit both red bull and mclaren. I think sector 1 is red bull. Sector 2 nice long straights mclaren. sector 3 you'd think red bull, but mclaren have good traction as we saw in Korea.

+ Hamilton seems to like this circuit. I'm hoping of a close race
I'll pull the "don't let 2010 deceive you" card out again. McLaren have been strong at high downforce and traction this year, not at top speed.

Go look at Spa (where McLaren were fast in sector 2, not 1), Hungary, Japan, Spain, ...

astracrazy

good point

raymondu999

Yes as Beelsebob said a while back, I think in the MP4-26 thread; the McLaren seems to excel in places where you dump on a lot of wing - in "high wing angle" setups; McLaren seems to be better than the Red Bull; at least in the race

On the other hand while the Red Bull is in qualifying very strong in flowing sweepers; their race pace has been stronger where most corners are slow and technical. I think in the race Red Bull will be strong; especially due to S3.

S1 seems to me to be somewhere where everyone is flat out anyways so I don't see how Red Bull would have an advantage there actually - If you're flat out; you're flat out. There's not much faster you can go... unless Red Bull does some mickey mouse move like engaging DRS in the middle of Turn 2 or some such.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

kalinka

I think around Spa, McL couldn't find the optimum setup for top speed, but after they introduced the new rear wing with refined DRS, they are at the top again. Neither in Korea or India Webber couldn't pass Hamilton/Button even with DRS help. It's a clearly visible development. Of course there'll be some teams like ToroRosso who almost always go for a top speed setup, but that's another story. I think McL is right there in terms of top speed now. The tricky part is that Vettel seems to get away in first 3-5 laps out of the DRS danger zone. I think Vettel knows that, and he was indeed very agressive in Korea to get back that control. Since they're too good at qualy, we maybe never know what Vettel could do behind a McL. Sad but true :(

Crucial_Xtreme

raymondu999 wrote:To be factual Gerhard there were more than just 2 - but your point is well and truly noted. I do hope the Pirellis could somehow help out with that but as we saw in India - Pirellis alone are not absolute bolt-on supplements to overtaking.

I think the Bulls should be quite strong here - all the circuits where most corners are slow and fiddly; they have had good race pace as they're not hampered by the additional Pirelli degradation induced by their greater pace through corners.
As much as I would like a Ferrari win in Abu Dubai, I think 3rd on the podium would be a very good result. I think that Lewis will actually win the race. I expect the MaCa's will be very strong here and give RBR a run for their money. The obvious choice would be for BUT to place better than his teammate but I feel that Lewis has something prove and will end up taking it. Time will tell.